Jan Brady Syndrome?

Paul December

Reaction score

When I only owned Concerts and Sopranos, my Concerts got played the bulk of the time. Now that I've added Tenors, I find myself drawn to the ends of the spectrum: Tenors & Sopranos, with Concerts gaining dust.
:confused: Do others with ukes of all scale lengths find the same?

Poor Jan.
I'd actually like to try a concert sometime. I have a soprano, a baritone, and a tenor guitar. I'm playing the baritone less at the moment, but I think that is because it is the least nice instrument, not because it has freckles and wants to wear a wig to a birthday party.

Aloha Paul,
I have a boatload of Concerts and Tenors, 2 Sopranos, and 1 Baritone. Needless to say, I prefer the middle class ukes. Depending on the song, I know what sound I want and which uke will produce that sound, whether it be strumming or picking. So having quite a few at my disposal has it's reward...............................BO......................

I play my baritone named "Alice".

I have some of each scale, but I've been leaning heavily toward tenors and baritones. Tenors, tenors, tenors! My fingers are more comfortable, and -- don't hate me for this -- I like the less plinky sound of the longer scales. But I'd always make sure that my sopranos and concerts have a date for the prom.

I have three tenors, three concerts and three sopranos, and I play my longneck concert the most. I agree with mds about the shorter necks sounding plinky. The tenor neck on the concert body just feels right to me.

I don't own a concert and have only spent about 10 seconds holding one, but my Tenor is a great fit for me, Baritone is comfortable and in my case mostly a strummer, and my Soprano while sounding amazing for such a small thing has a scale I find to be just barely cramped for my hands. I'm guessing a concert scale would be rather comfy for me, but I haven't gotten around to finding out yet!

I never thought about it, but out of the different scales, I probably play concert the least. Pretty funny considering that when I started playing, it was my favorite size.

I do not currently own a Tenor but have had 3 or 4. So I do not technically qualify but I could not get used to the Tenor scale for some reason, maybe it was lesser quality ukes than my concerts. Of the three I go concert - soprano - tenor.

There has been one tenor I wish I owned but have no idea where it is now.

I have a soprano, concert and tenor and keep coming back to the concert. It just craddles best in my arm.

I play my Jan, I mean concert, as a default. Others get play too, it goes in cycles. And while we're on the topic of JB:

I like the tenors and the baritones. The scale fits my fingers better and I like the lower, fuller, warmer tones.

You must have been quite a guy to party with, back in the day, peewee. lol Meat Puppets, and now this Lunachicks video!

I liked Peter, too. Until he got a DUI and beat his wife. But, that was in the later episodes... when cousin Oliver came onto the scene to save the sinking ratings.

This video (below) pretty much sums up concert sized ukuleles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcyon1wZfJ0

Last edited:
So why aren't the concerts more willing and available?

Side note: If you watch the re-runs, in a number of episodes in the girls bedroom there is what looks like a Martin 0 sitting on top of the dresser...

I play all sizes, but have Ln one concert. Turns out it's my wife's favorite scale. For me, I am a tenor fellow

Top Bottom