NEW formulation Aquila Red Series Strings!

Sporin

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m really excited to finally be able to reveal something I’ve been working on for the last few weeks. As readers of my blog know, I was a big fan of the sound of the new Aquila Red Series strings, but had broken 2 very quickly. Much discussion here on the forums revealed that I wasn’t alone and I began a correspondence with Mimmo at Aquila in the hopes sharing what I had learned about this new product. Mimmo was great and replaced my broken strings and listened to my concerns.

Then about 2 weeks ago I got a new email from Mimmo asking if I’d be interesting in trying out their new formulation for the Red Strings. Of course I said yes!!

Indeed they are “harder” with far less stretch, much more the physical elasticity of a nylon string. They were just slightly darker red, and significantly more “wiry” in feel, though still retaining that papery softness unlike a true nylon or flouro string.

That great sound that I loved from the original Reds was still there but the string itself was much tougher. It needed nothing more then the normal stretch and settled into it’s note very quickly. I’ve spent the last 2 weeks playing a LOT of ukulele, multiple jams and ukulele club—I’ve really wailed on it—and it haven’t let me down. Once it got through the initial settling-in, it’s held note almost perfectly, requiring almost zero adjustment when I play.

Check out my blog for a few more details and I'll be posting up a video as soon as I can get my good camera back from my son who is using it for a school project.

http://ukemafia.com/new-forumulation-aquila-red-series-strings/

Thank you Aquila!, Great Job Mimmo!

Attachments

• NEW red strings.jpg
    NEW red strings.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 47
Did Mimmo say when these would be available? And what will the new designation be (the old one was 72U)?

Mimmo said there will be no designation or name change, new stock will replace old stock.

Wow! I'm glad to hear that there will be a new formulation. I just received three of the red low G strings last week. Unfortunately, I don't like them. As you said, they are too stretchy and the sound was somewhat muted on my uke. The other three strings are Aquilas and they tend to drown out the sound of the red string. I was thinking that if they had more tension like the white strings, they would be great. I'll give them another try when they come out. I guess I'll have to wait until everyone runs out of the old stock before I can get a new one to try.

can i have one of mimmo's new ones?

This is great news! Oddly enough, the C and G I have on my Tenor are holding...for now. :)

Although I haven't experienced a snap yet I'm looking forward to getting one of these newly formulated reds. I still have to tune them every time I play. It would be nice to have a 'red' that settled down like the other strings.

Sorry I haven't done a video yet, been extremely busy with work. String has held up perfectly, sounds great, and has been extremely stable from a tuning perspective.

Aquila has put up a sound sample, check it out.

Top Bottom