Krylon clear coat and then Tru oil, should I?

finkdaddy

Reaction score
On a piece of scrap wood, I tried an experiment.
I took a piece of mahogany and hit it with a coat of Krylon Clear Coat.
Then I sanded it with some 260grit paper and covered it with a coat of Tru Oil to see how it would react.
Right now it seems to be just fine, but I was wondering if the oil would adhere over a length of time.
I guess my thought was that the Krylon could be used as a clear pore filler that would be easier to use.
The other part of the equation is that I have lot's of Krylon and Tru Oil in my shop and not much of anything else, so I was just trying it out. :eek:
Does anyone know what Krylon actually is?
Some kind of plastic, or something else?
Thank you.

~Fred

Why do you want to put oil over clear coat?
Looks like the krylon is an acrylic lacquer so it's probably ok by itself

I try to put the least amount of finish on as possible. I use only white shellac, no oil of any kind except on the fret board. I have used nitro in the past but find it mutes the sound. I do not see how the oil could adhere to the Krylon as it could only sit on the surface. I am afraid that my finishing skills are confined to the old and less commercial shellac as it is easy to refinish and maintain. My aim is to keep the wood as natural as possible. It does not answer your question, but may help in choosing the right finish ultimately.
Garry Petrisic.

Oil is designed to soak in. Not exactly the perfect finish for musical instruments as some believe it messes with the sound, but if you want to do it, I'd skip the Krylon.

Top Bottom