PDA

View Full Version : Does the ukulele "take over" your life?

dash213
09-19-2012, 01:50 PM
I find I put off doing other things in favour of playing the ukulele.

Not that this is a bad thing.

Example:

I work shift work, so on my afternoon shifts I don't start work until 2:30pm.

I always plan to score some brownie points with my wife and do the clothes washing, dishes and general housework (dusting, vacuuming etc.), but after I take my daughter to school, I hear a song on the radio in the car and think, "I wonder if I can find the chords to this song".

So as soon as I get home, I google the song, find the chords and try and play the song. Next thing I know it's 1:00pm and I need to get ready for work.

When I get home at night (to a clean and tidy house, thanks to my wife), my wife says to me "What did you do today?" and i sheepishly reply "Played the uke".

Any one else have this "problem"?

Cheers
Darren

KoaDependent
09-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Anyone NOT have this problem?

Lalz
09-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Kind of... Ok, I admit: quite a lot right now, haha. I do have the excuse of being on sick leave at the moment, so I have way too much free time in my hands, and improving my uke skills seems to be a good way to spend it. Usually I manage to restrain my uke obsession to maybe an hour a day.

Newportlocal
09-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Yes........

kvehe
09-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Yes, it does. I also make people in my office listen to me talk incessantly about ukes. We are currently interviewing people for two new positions, and I kidded (sort of) that the successful applicants would be those who could stand to listen to my interminable uke stories.

PhilUSAFRet
09-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Yup! Shopping for them does too...if I practiced as much as I surf the web on ukulele related subjects, I'd be a gol danged virtuoso!

fernandogardinali
09-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Absolutely. I'm lucky my girlfriend is into ukes, so we can talk a lot about it!

Freeda
09-19-2012, 02:36 PM
If it wasn't the uke it would be something else. I am a master procrastinator.

Dougf
09-19-2012, 02:40 PM
My wife asked me yesterday, "How many more of these ukulele seasons contests are there going to be?"

ksiegel
09-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Any one else have this "problem"?

It is only a problem if you let it be a problem.

Like when I don't hear the oven timer go off because I'm playing, and let the pizza burn...

So I solved that by playing in the kitchen when I've got food in the oven. I can smell "done" before I smell "burned", so missing the timer isn't a major problem anymore.

As long as I set the timer on my phone, as well...

Lalz
09-19-2012, 02:53 PM
It is only a problem if you let it be a problem.

Like when I don't hear the oven timer go off because I'm playing, and let the pizza burn...

So I solved that by playing in the kitchen when I've got food in the oven. I can smell "done" before I smell "burned", so missing the timer isn't a major problem anymore.

As long as I set the timer on my phone, as well...

I love you guys! What a great bunch of nutcases we are :)

Hippie Dribble
09-19-2012, 03:32 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about

sillymonky
09-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Yup! Shopping for them does too...if I practiced as much as I surf the web on ukulele related subjects, I'd be a gol danged virtuoso!

I hate to admit how often I have this exact same thought.

wendellfiddler
09-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I find I tend to keep up with my practice a bit more when there's something else I'm supposed to be doing. I'm a multi-instrumentalist (a blessing, a curse, I don't know?) and lately I've been reaching for the uke more than others, even though I have stuff I maybe should be practicing on other instruments. It's so darn comfortable! Love it.

doug

consitter
09-19-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm sorry, what was the question? I was playing my uke.

peewee
09-19-2012, 04:36 PM
My wife asked me yesterday, "How many more of these ukulele seasons contests are there going to be?"

That sounds really familiar...

Nickie
09-19-2012, 05:23 PM
You guys are a hoot!
I don't know if I'd say "taken over", but my house is a mess, sometimes bills get paid late, my car is dirty... I told a colleague yesterday that if I ever can't play, I don't wanna be around anymore! And I meant it!
No, it hasn't taken over...

we tigers
09-19-2012, 11:54 PM
I decided to take part in the seasons and let my wife sing the songs. Now she's becoming a part of the ukecraze...
...infection has started.... mwoehahaha!

savagehenry
09-20-2012, 12:09 AM
If you would have told me a few years ago that my future self was going to spend this much time reading about, shopping for, and playing ukuleles, I would have laughed and said no way. I do love it though it is tough to explain to someone else.

barefootgypsy
09-20-2012, 01:00 AM
I hate to admit how often I have this exact same thought.What he said.......

drbekken
09-20-2012, 01:14 AM
At least it's not a hostile takeover.

ukeeku
09-20-2012, 03:28 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about

Exactly. I can quit anytime..... I just don't want to

luluwrites
09-20-2012, 03:45 AM
It did this summer. I'm just now getting some of that life back -- I have writing to do and marketing stuff and workshops to lead but I put it all off this summer because I was completely obsessed. I still play at least an hour a day, but I'm more balanced now. Which is good. Can't buy another uke unless I sell some more books!

vanflynn
09-20-2012, 04:22 AM
When I take a weekend trip without a uke I find myself thinking about what songs I want to play as soon as I get home.

PS. does checking UU at least every hour at work count too?

sillymonky
09-20-2012, 07:06 AM
What he said.......

She said ;)

JerBear
09-20-2012, 07:09 AM
If it wasn't the uke it would be something else. I am a master procrastinator.

This. This x 1000.

I suppose it's a bonus that I at least have something to show for it after.

strumsilly
09-20-2012, 07:18 AM
My name is Strumsilly, and I'm a ukaholic. there , I admitted it. but I don't want to stop uking!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
09-20-2012, 07:55 AM
This is NOT the place to confess you ukaholic-ness.

we're all a bunch of enablers!

keep uke'in'... see what I mean? :)

mds725
09-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Does the ukulele "take over" your life?

Sometimes I wish it would do my laundry and go to my job for me.

Wongo
09-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Week three of paying the ukulele and I'm already waiting for my kohaloa KCM 00. It was cheaper when I was on drugs. I never knew wood could be so addictive

Garydavkra
09-20-2012, 08:20 AM
I have so many hobbies and interests that they all keep me from doing what I should be doing. My reasoning is that the other stuff will get done when it gets done.

strumsilly
09-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Week three of paying the ukulele and I'm already waiting for my kohaloa KCM 00. It was cheaper when I was on drugs. I never knew wood could be so addictive
I have a KCM 10 and it's just about my favorite. youu are going to love it. great choice, and their customer service is 2nd to none. they ROCK.

ukes_in_the_wire
09-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Moving house tomorrow. Should've been packing today. somehow it's gotten to 11pm and there appears to be a couple of new songs in my repertoire yet nothing in boxes.

~dave~~wave~
09-22-2012, 07:04 AM

That's priceless, Doug.
Did you explain the concept of infinity to her at that point, or take a different tack?

spookefoote
09-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Yes.............

jbpoolsfla
09-22-2012, 10:12 AM
i am playing my uku as i type

OldePhart
09-22-2012, 12:40 PM
What is this "life" of which you speak?

NewKid
09-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Does anyone else have ukuleles their families don't know about yet? Not that I do of course.

OldePhart
09-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Does anyone else have ukuleles their families don't know about yet? Not that I do of course.

The key is to have enough ukuleles around that they don't notice new arrivals...

barefootgypsy
09-23-2012, 03:17 AM
The key is to have enough ukuleles around that they don't notice new arrivals...I love that one! Working on it...!

26tiki
09-23-2012, 04:20 AM
Awesome.. I thought I was the only one. I'm obsessed. People keep asking me what my plans are & the answer is always to just play my uke! I either ignore chores completely or rush thru them so I can play, can't even visit the neighbour for a cuppa without taking it with me (she understands tho & nods politely to my nonstop uke chatter). I've even given up Facebook - who has time for that when there's uke'n to be done?!

UkuleleHan96
09-23-2012, 06:01 AM
the ukulele has taken over my life and all my spare time lol :P

Plainsong
09-23-2012, 01:42 PM
I gotta say it's yes and no. I don't have the mad skills with tab reading, so I don't learn tons of new songs to play all the time, and so I'm not madly playing all day every day, and in fact until yesterday it had been a couple of weeks since I picked up a uke at all.

BUT, thanks to the uke, I'm either recording, or working on a song in one form or another, and that's nearly all day every day. The songs often have at least two uke tracks, and if not for playing uke, I wouldn't have this sudden time-vortex hobby of producing, so in a way... yeah it has taken over my life. The frustrating thing is that it'll be a year or so before anyone hears it.