Does the ukulele "take over" your life?

dash213

Reaction score
I find I put off doing other things in favour of playing the ukulele.

Not that this is a bad thing.

Example:

I work shift work, so on my afternoon shifts I don't start work until 2:30pm.

I always plan to score some brownie points with my wife and do the clothes washing, dishes and general housework (dusting, vacuuming etc.), but after I take my daughter to school, I hear a song on the radio in the car and think, "I wonder if I can find the chords to this song".

So as soon as I get home, I google the song, find the chords and try and play the song. Next thing I know it's 1:00pm and I need to get ready for work.

When I get home at night (to a clean and tidy house, thanks to my wife), my wife says to me "What did you do today?" and i sheepishly reply "Played the uke".

Any one else have this "problem"?

Cheers
Darren

Anyone NOT have this problem?

Kind of... Ok, I admit: quite a lot right now, haha. I do have the excuse of being on sick leave at the moment, so I have way too much free time in my hands, and improving my uke skills seems to be a good way to spend it. Usually I manage to restrain my uke obsession to maybe an hour a day.

Yes........

Yes, it does. I also make people in my office listen to me talk incessantly about ukes. We are currently interviewing people for two new positions, and I kidded (sort of) that the successful applicants would be those who could stand to listen to my interminable uke stories.

Last edited:
Yup! Shopping for them does too...if I practiced as much as I surf the web on ukulele related subjects, I'd be a gol danged virtuoso!

If it wasn't the uke it would be something else. I am a master procrastinator.

My wife asked me yesterday, "How many more of these ukulele seasons contests are there going to be?"

Any one else have this "problem"?

It is only a problem if you let it be a problem.

Like when I don't hear the oven timer go off because I'm playing, and let the pizza burn...

So I solved that by playing in the kitchen when I've got food in the oven. I can smell "done" before I smell "burned", so missing the timer isn't a major problem anymore.

As long as I set the timer on my phone, as well...

It is only a problem if you let it be a problem.

Like when I don't hear the oven timer go off because I'm playing, and let the pizza burn...

So I solved that by playing in the kitchen when I've got food in the oven. I can smell "done" before I smell "burned", so missing the timer isn't a major problem anymore.

As long as I set the timer on my phone, as well...

I love you guys! What a great bunch of nutcases we are :)

Yup! Shopping for them does too...if I practiced as much as I surf the web on ukulele related subjects, I'd be a gol danged virtuoso!

I hate to admit how often I have this exact same thought.

Yeah, I find I tend to keep up with my practice a bit more when there's something else I'm supposed to be doing. I'm a multi-instrumentalist (a blessing, a curse, I don't know?) and lately I've been reaching for the uke more than others, even though I have stuff I maybe should be practicing on other instruments. It's so darn comfortable! Love it.

doug

I'm sorry, what was the question? I was playing my uke.

My wife asked me yesterday, "How many more of these ukulele seasons contests are there going to be?"

That sounds really familiar...

You guys are a hoot!
I don't know if I'd say "taken over", but my house is a mess, sometimes bills get paid late, my car is dirty... I told a colleague yesterday that if I ever can't play, I don't wanna be around anymore! And I meant it!
No, it hasn't taken over...

I decided to take part in the seasons and let my wife sing the songs. Now she's becoming a part of the ukecraze...
...infection has started.... mwoehahaha!

If you would have told me a few years ago that my future self was going to spend this much time reading about, shopping for, and playing ukuleles, I would have laughed and said no way. I do love it though it is tough to explain to someone else.

Top Bottom