PDA

View Full Version : The Ukulele Explosion- New Ebook for Beginners now ready!

theukedude747
09-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Hey Everyone:

Wow, it's been awhile since I was here last. I've been working around the clock trying to finish my First Ebook project, The Ukulele Explosion, which is an awesome new 120 ebook course for beginners and amateurs.

After giving away a few hundred copies over the past few months all over the world and receiving some amazing feedback, it's time now to launch this new book.

However, I have a Special Treat for those of you who may have missed out on getting a Free Gift Copy. I obviously cannot continue just giving the book away, so I have created a FREE Sneak Peek Inside The Ukulele Explosion. This Sneak Peek is 43 pages out of the 120 pages, so actually a Course in itself. I am giving you Lesson 1 of 5 lessons, plus highlights from the ebook.

You will be able to see from the TOC (table of contents), just how much awesome content is in this course. I'm VERY proud of this, my first book.

Even though the price I'm asking is already Crazy Low, I still wanted to give more, so put together this Sneak Peek, available here: www.theukuleleexplosion.com

So, keep your credit cards in your pocket and before you buy anything, you can download your own Sneak Peek Edition, check it out and see if you like it. Lesson 1 will give you a great idea what to expect in Lessons 2 - 5, plus as I mentioned, lots of highlights included from the book.

As you will find on this page: www.theukuleleexplosion.com there are 2 Options, if you decide you want the Full Edition. One Option is for just the Ebook itself and limited support, the other Option is for Lifetime Membership and Full Support. Both are priced Crazy Low, for now.

I'm already planning to have a Video Ebook Edition ready by spring 2013 or sooner. Before I tackle that however, I have to start working on a Kid's Edition as I've had a number of requests for that.

In closing, if you are a ukulele teacher, I'm sure you will also enjoy this new book. Check out the Sneak Peek first; it's FREE.

Also, I've had several people recommend that I break The Ukulele Explosion into 3 Volumes, to make it Kindle Friendly. So, I am also working on putting together Vol. 1 - Lessons 1 & 2; Vol 2 - Lessons 3 & 4 and Vol. 3 - Lesson 5 (with more songs).

Each of these Volumes will only be around 9.99 on Kindle, when I get them ready.

For now, if you're a beginner, go grab up your FREE Sneak Peek and get started.

www.theukuleleexplosion.com and while on this page, be sure to read through, so you understand the Options available.

OH, you won't find a normal, fancy professional looking sales page. I'm hoping to eventually just write and teach and hire a graphic designer/web master. I did my best with the bit of knowledge I have.

Thanks for your interest everyone and I look forward to hearing from you and helping you.

Cheerz.....RJ Smith

ogg
09-20-2012, 04:14 AM
WOW! I think Billy Mays would be proud of that post! :D

The Big Kahuna
09-20-2012, 06:41 AM
Ok, I know there's a "no bashing" rule, but I'm going to risk it in the hope that some of our newer members don't waste their hard earned cash.

My review:

Despite many posts offering advice, it seems as though the author hasn't taken a single one to heart. The current version (full, not Sneak Peek) still contains glaring spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors. It is poorly formatted. It contains only 123 pages, many of which are almost incomprehensible "songs". The history of the Ukulele is a simple copy & paste job from an article on the web (yes, I pasted it into Google and came up with the original text. I may take a leaf out of the "authors" book and write a few of my own if this is all it takes). Something like 5% of the entire content (or perhaps even more) is nothing more than a downward pointing arrow followed by half a page of empty space.

A "book" which contains only 123 pages must decide whether it's a beginner guide, an advanced guide, or a book about playing blues on the Ukulele. To try and cover all this and more would take 400+ pages.

The "advice" on choosing a Ukulele and strings is so utterly trite and pointless it beggars belief.

To sum up...this isn't worth $ 5, let alone the $ 19.99 it is offered at on the website. And I would have to take a large quantity of controlled substances to even approach the frame of mind whereby I could conceive of any situation under which a sane person would consider paying 39.99 for the "lifetime membership" edition (the version reviewed here).

In short, either take your $ 19.99 - $ 39.99, shred it and give it to your Hamster to sleep in, or buy The Dummies Guide to Ukulele and a selection of books by UU member bazmaz.

The Big Kahuna
09-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Oh yeah...how did the conversation with Sony go when you asked them for permission to publish Beatles lyrics ?

What ?

You didn't !?!

JT_Ukes
09-20-2012, 06:57 AM
I hear by bestow my title of "That Guy", to The Big Kahuna

but I can't argue with ya on this one brudda.... :)

The Big Kahuna
09-20-2012, 07:18 AM
I hear by bestow my title of "That Guy", to The Big Kahuna

but I can't argue with ya on this one brudda.... :)

Hey, someone needs to protect you Colonists from

http://www.stochasticgeometry.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/snakeoil.jpg?w=257

;)

itsme
09-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Ok, I know there's a "no bashing" rule, but I'm going to risk it in the hope that some of our newer members don't waste their hard earned cash.
I don't think you are bashing him personally at all, just giving your honest opinion about his book. And, yes, many of us gave him thoughtful reviews and constructive criticism, which he seems to have ignored. I, too, had brought up the copyright issue with some of the included "songs".

After reviewing his initial offering, I deleted his book, as I have no further interest in it and asked him to remove me from his distribution list, but I'm still getting emails from him. :rolleyes:

The Big Kahuna
09-20-2012, 07:32 PM
asked him to remove me from his distribution list, but I'm still getting emails from him. :rolleyes:

At the beginning I refrained from posting, publicly, some personal information about the "author" which I discovered, hoping this would all go away, choosing instead to send PMs to the people on my friends list. Needless to say, this information is what kept me from giving him my email address. In retrospect, I suppose I should have gone down the full disclosure route.

kaizersoza
09-21-2012, 01:01 AM
I have to agree with the Kahuna man, the e book wasn't very well set out and consisted of a lot of blank space, in the authors defence that was his first draft but I have not bothered to keep the copy, there are better courses/books out there including the 2 Kahuna mentioned in an earlier post, this is not personal to the author or the finished product just the book/course that I originally read

bazmaz
09-21-2012, 05:28 AM
As a self published author, I really find the whole "pay me more get updates" model leaves a sour taste in my mouth. On kindle, the biggest ebook house there is, when an author updates a book, the purchasers get that for nothing, zero, nada. It's a good fair model. For this you pay $20 for the privilege.... That to me shows utter disdain for customers, and that's before the fact that $19.99 is a crazy price.

And ukedude747, if you are publishing lyrics that are copyright without licence and for money, you will need a good lawyer. And it's not enough to say the person who had them licensed said you could use them. Want to publish a Beatles lyric, you need their publishers permission.

pootsie
09-21-2012, 05:48 AM
At the beginning I refrained from posting, publicly, some personal information about the "author" which I discovered, hoping this would all go away, choosing instead to send PMs to the people on my friends list. Needless to say, this information is what kept me from giving him my email address. In retrospect, I suppose I should have gone down the full disclosure route.

Umm, what do I need to know?

The Big Kahuna
09-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Umm, what do I need to know?

PM sent. I'll leave it to you to advise me on whether or not you think I should've posted the info publicly.

Ben_H
09-21-2012, 08:33 AM
PM sent. I'll leave it to you to advise me on whether or not you think I should've posted the info publicly.

Now you've got me worried!

theukedude747
09-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Haha, not too sure ;) but hey, I'm a NEWB at all this.

bazmaz
09-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Uke dude - you did poll UU on your book and price, but I'm concerned you didn't take the advice from the largest ukulele forum on the planet. Aside from my views on price, as I say, the concept of paying for updates is not something the book worls really goes for. What are your thoughts?

theukedude747
09-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Hello Big Kahuna:

I tried sending you a PM, to get to the bottom of your post here and discovery of 'personal information', but since I have absolutely nothing to hide from anyone, I decided to post the PM here for you to read. Your PM box is currently full. So, I've pasted below that PM for you:

Hello Big Kahuna:

Just back visiting the forum today, trying to learn how to navigate and saw your post about 'personal information'. Now you have ME very curious also regarding this 'personal info' you wanted to post publicly.

I'm a NEWBIE on here, so if I have done something wrong here, please advise. That's the only way one learns, to have their errors brought to their attention.

You can email me at either: theukululeleexplosion@yahoo.ca OR rj@theukuleleexplosion.com

I don't get in here that much, but would appreciate hearing from you, so I can at least 'defend' myself about this personal information you have.
;
I'm a new author, I've just finished my first book; gave away a bunch of free copies to get help and suggestions, so what have I done wrong?

Warmest Regards

RJ

theukedude747
09-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Thank you very much for your post and question bazmaz. First, I need to ask u a question so I know if I have done something wrong. If I have, I offer my humble apologies as I am very new to Forums.

Was I wrong to post about my new book on here? I was NOT selling it; I was offering it as a GIFT. Also, I appreciate your views on price, however, I've received a LOT of emails from a lot of people, NOT just from this forum. I had a number of people suggest 39.00 for just the ebook, but that was just too high for me.

You mention 'paying for updates'; not sure where you read that bazmaz. No one pays for updates. If someone just purchases the ebook for the lower price, they receive the 120 page ebook, with limited support. If they join the Lifetime Membership, ALL updates are totally free, so not quite following what you mean 'paying for updates'.

If my memory serves me right bazmaz, you got a copy of the 'rough draft' somewhere, not sure where, and didn't like it or agree with some of the content. i totally appreciate and respect that. I'm actually quite embarrassed now that I even sent out the 'rough draft', but HEY, we all learn from our mistakes. I wish now I would have waited until I at least had the Sneak Peek to offer 'instead' of the rough copy. But, as a new upcoming author I was excited to share what I had done.

I don't know bazmaz if you've seen the Sneak Peek or the Finished Edition yet, but it looks WAY different and lots more content. The Sneak Peek Edition (43 pages out of 120 pgs), is FREE. Offering this Sneak Peek will save refunds if people don't like what they see. This was also recommended by a number of people - let interested persons see INSIDE the ebook and get an idea of what it looks like.

Lesson 1 is offered in the Sneak Peek with lots of highlights. If people don't like this, they aren't going to buy the ebook and waste time with refunds.

So, really not sure what I've done wrong. This is a Ukulele Forum; there are Beginners here; I have something new to offer.

I look forward bazmaz to your reply. Better however to email me here: theukuleleexplosion@yahooca OR rj@theukuleleexplosion.com

I don't here into the Forum that much.

Cheerz...

RJ

The Big Kahuna
09-21-2012, 10:01 AM
You mention 'paying for updates'; not sure where you read that bazmaz. No one pays for updates. If someone just purchases the ebook for the lower price, they receive the 120 page ebook, with limited support. If they join the Lifetime Membership, ALL updates are totally free, so not quite following what you mean 'paying for updates'

Version with no updates = $ 19.97

Version with updates = 39.97

Therefore: Updates = $ 20.00

Seriously, I know terminal Alzheimers patients who could work that out in 5 seconds flat.

buddhuu
09-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Keep links to personal and business sites in signatures as per the rules, please.

UU is a friendly place. We'd be grateful if members would behave accordingly. If there are problems alert the mod team rather than stirring and sniping.

When things get abrasive we get complaints from other members, hence this intervention. Please play nice.

Thanks.