PDA

View Full Version : Which finger?

Forkjulle
09-20-2012, 02:26 AM
As a matter of interest, which finger do you prefer strumming with? Currently, I use my index finger, but am wondering if middle finger is better in the long run. (I use a soprano.)

Since I'm a beginner of a week, I'm trying to get into good habits rather than bad habits. Coming from a guitar background, I find that my bad habits are difficult to break later on.

PhilUSAFRet
09-20-2012, 03:51 AM
My recommendation is that you use your forefinger. As you already know, "correct" fingering leads to a solid base for more advanced strumming and picking techniques as does correctly fingering chords. Many folks try and find an alternative to a difficult chord when, in the long run, would be better to practice until you "get it right."

Forkjulle
09-20-2012, 04:03 AM
Brilliant. Do you find it easier?

Ken Middleton
09-20-2012, 04:32 AM
My recommendation is that you use your forefinger. As you already know, "correct" fingering leads to a solid base for more advanced strumming and picking techniques as does correctly fingering chords. Many folks try and find an alternative to a difficult chord when, in the long run, would be better to practice until you "get it right."

Are you saying that the forefinger is the "correct" finger to strum with?

Freeda
09-20-2012, 04:55 AM
I somewhat sprained my index finger and using my middle finger isn't working, so going to use a pick for a bit.

buddhuu
09-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Index is probably most common. It's the one I use.

The best finger to strum with is the one that works best for you when you've tried them all. ;)

Dwjkerr
09-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Strumming with my pinky is just plain weird. But can be done.

Ken Middleton
09-20-2012, 10:39 AM

Absolutely! I use all the fingers for strumming, including the little finger.

Ken Middleton
09-20-2012, 10:39 AM

uke4ia
09-20-2012, 11:34 AM
There are times when I'm trying to accentuate the A string while playing high up on the neck, and I find the best way is to strum with the back of my pinky fingernail.

OldePhart
09-20-2012, 11:48 AM

Yep...depends on what you're doing. For me it's sometimes just the index finger (probably 80% or more), sometimes two or three, sometimes letting the thumb get in on the action especially for triplets. About the only time I use the pinky is if I'm using all four fingers to get a really chunky thing going on.

John

Uke Whisperer
09-21-2012, 07:16 AM
All fingers.

Pinky on Fan Stroke (particularly on Formby version), rolls (four or five finger rolls), etc. Depending on particular sound I'm looking for I will use it on strum portion of Claw Hammer.

Most used finger is Forefinger (down and/or up), then Thumb (down, as in Triples), then Forefinger, Middle & Ring for Tremolos (up), then Pinky (up and down), then middle and ring (down or up) the All together (down) or all in sequence (down) as in Flamenco.

I think that's all. ???

addicted2myuke
09-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Index finger when I need volume and speed, and thumb when I want to strum silently and slowly. That's my 2 cents. Forget the pick. No respectable uke player uses one. My other 2 cents.

stevepetergal
09-23-2012, 02:21 PM
I think the answer to the question is the index finger. Learn your basic strums with it because all the teachers you'll find recommend it for a beginner. Once your experience level takes you further, you can start doing different kinds of strumming with the index finger and move on from there to using other fingers for the more complex stuff.

Newportlocal
09-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Agree, starts with index, but there are three fingers, all fingers etc. Like first part of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_at_nglL3M&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Aldrine has some uke minutes on strums as well as others. You can spend lots of time on different strums and finger picking patterns. Reggae strums by pressing and then loosening/deadening strings or pinky barring. Lots and lots of methods out there. The main thing is to have fun!