Arm Rest Bevel

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
After a couple of false starts I've finally finished an arm rest bevel on one of my tenor ukes. I did it primarily because the process has haunted me over the past couple of years. Jeffery Yong did an article on bevels in a recent issue of the GAL magazine and that finally gave me the confidence me to try it. Probably doesn't make too much sense on an ukulele but as I said, I just had to do it. And no, I don't think I'll be doing it again! What a time sucker!

Attachments

• DSC_0024_2.jpg
    DSC_0024_2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 201
Respect bro - I would never do that. It must have sucked all the energy out of you. Inlay is much more interesting and pleasing to my eye :)

:bowdown:

Respect bro - I would never do that.

You are a smarter man than I am Pete. I'll never get back all the sleep I lost over that arm rest. Why I haven't done it before now is that I kept thinking there must be a better way than I was thinking. If there is, I haven't found it. Just a lot of tedious hand work.

OH wow...Chuck, I love it. And I agree with Pete, the inlay work is absolutely amazing....and well, the arm rest bevel is amazing too..haha.

who is the lucky owner?

Very cool. BTW I got to check out a Uke you made with a Macnut fretboard, absolutely beautiful. Now If I can only bribe you to tell me where you purchased the Macnut material. haha

There's a guy here who makes pen blanks and he recently cut down a couple of large mac nut trees. I picked up a log from him. Interestingly, in order to get that beautiful grain so show you need to cut it like a pie, radiating from the center, so there is a lot of waste. There's also a lot of old mac nut groves here.

Wow! Chuck! That thing is pretty amazing!! Pretty pretty work!!!

After a couple of false starts I've finally finished an arm rest bevel on one of my tenor ukes. I did it primarily because the process has haunted me over the past couple of years. Jeffery Yong did an article on bevels in a recent issue of the GAL magazine and that finally gave me the confidence me to try it. Probably doesn't make too much sense on an ukulele but as I said, I just had to do it. And no, I don't think I'll be doing it again! What a time sucker!

Im just about to start a tenor bevel after reading the Young article- His article seemed to show some pretty smart ways of going about it, with the paper and all but it all seems to be hand finished.
Did you find a better way to do any of it?

Im just about to start a tenor bevel after reading the Young article- His article seemed to show some pretty smart ways of going about it, with the paper and all but it all seems to be hand finished.
Did you find a better way to do any of it?

Thinking there was a better way was what kept me from doing it in the past. It's just a matter of doing tight hand work. I've got waaay too much time into just this one element. For me at least, it was as hard to execute as it seemed it would be. I'd probably do it again if I built guitars but never again on an uke. I only did it because the technique puzzled me for so long. It still does.

I'm not kidding... I whimpered when I saw this.

Gorgeous work, sir.

Thinking there was a better way was what kept me from doing it in the past. It's just a matter of doing tight hand work. I've got waaay too much time into just this one element. For me at least, it was as hard to execute as it seemed it would be. I'd probably do it again if I built guitars but never again on an uke. I only did it because the technique puzzled me for so long. It still does.

Well done Chuck. Unfortunately, my curriousity will eventually lead me down this road. The Arm Bevel is on my list of things to do.

I've done a couple of 000 size guitars just to see if I could. And yes, a huge challenge and time sucker. When you nut out the way of going about it, it's like any sort of precise wood work. One step at a time and everything works out. But trying to find clients that will pay you for the work is another matter. I don't imagine I'll be doing any more for a long time.

I love the purfling you've added to that Chuck. It really sets it off nicely.

So, you wouldn't modify my ukulele? Holy cow! That is stunning.

P.s. mine is still the prettiest! There. I said it out loud.

Wow. Looks awesome Chuck. I think it is awesome that you took the time to do it, despite it not really being "needed" on a uke. It's cool to see it executed so well on an uke.

Top Bottom