mm stan
09-21-2012, 04:10 PM
For me, it was this morning ....I had 15 soprano cases with ukes
in them stacked on each other and it toppled over sending my tenors and
concerts following...Now what did I do wrong:confused::(
I thought I was behaving quite nicely lately:):o

Faricelli
09-21-2012, 04:32 PM
I had a couple of cigar box ukes I had made and hung them up on the wall. About a month later, i was sitting in the room when two loud pops simultaneously startled me. The bridges on both uke's popped off. From now on i always detune my wall hangers.

mm stan
09-21-2012, 04:41 PM
I had a couple of cigar box ukes I had made and hung them up on the wall. About a month later, i was sitting in the room when two loud pops simultaneously startled me. The bridges on both uke's popped off. From now on i always detune my wall hangers.
I had my kamaka gold label by my bed in the case and I heard a twang and couldn't figure what that was...it was quiet nite...next day I opened my case and the bridge was off...and went awe awe:(

Nickie
09-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Wow, what rotten uke luck!

fitncrafty
09-21-2012, 05:10 PM
I think you need a bigger place to live, I mean store your ukes... :)
I haven't had a uke tradegy, and hope I never do.. If I do my wonder woman uke will have to save me!
Glad to hear that you and your ukes are fine though...

ksiegel
09-21-2012, 06:12 PM
What you did wrong, Stan, was to stack them one on top of the other.

You need to put them in groups of two, and stack the first two parallel, then rotate the second pair 90 degrees, and place on the first pair.

Pretty soon, you can play Jenga with them!

-Kurt

joekulele
09-21-2012, 08:21 PM
In a hurry, I picked up my Flea hard case that wasn't latched and sent my uke skittering across the stone floor...yup... :uhoh: Fortunately, minimal damage. Wow, I can't believe I just confessed that!

-joe

AndrewKuker
09-21-2012, 09:08 PM

You need to put them in groups of two, and stack the first two parallel, then rotate the second pair 90 degrees, and place on the first pair.

-Kurt

Best answer. I would say using a wall corner with this method could be the best short term. But maybe someday I can come down and help you make racks so they will all be accessible. I would love to see your collection! (can't think of a better way to invite myself over, haha)

patfia
09-21-2012, 09:11 PM
My Kanile'a did a face plant (in its case, fell over from its stand, no damage fortunately) at least 5 times one day recently. The last time I asked who was there and trying to tell me something and if so, what were they trying to tell me. It stopped after that. Hmmm

Not a uke but when I was a kid, about 13, I heard what sounded like my guitar being plucked one string at a time in the middle of the night. Scared the &*^* out of me. Turned out it was the bridge ripping the soundboard of my first guitar. Just ripped the top, big hole where the bridge was. Too bad, that guitar sounded great, relatively inexpensive, but the top was apparently too light and not braced well enough.

mm stan
09-21-2012, 09:30 PM

-Kurt
Ha Ha If I did that, I wouldn't be able to walk in my small place...

mm stan
09-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Best answer. I would say using a wall corner with this method could be the best short term. But maybe someday I can come down and help you make racks so they will all be accessible. I would love to see your collection! (can't think of a better way to invite myself over, haha)

Aloha Bruddah Andrew,
I need definetely a bigger place, then you can build me something...but I love to keep my ukes in my cases as they don't get dusty and there is no accidents ...am I just soo wrong...LOL

mm stan
09-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Aloha Pat,
My Kanile'a did a face plant (in its case, fell over from its stand, no damage fortunately) at least 5 times one day recently. The last time I asked who was there and trying to tell me something and if so, what were they trying to tell me. It stopped after that. Hmmm

Sometimes I wonder too...strange stuff like that seems to oddly happen to me lately....now who did that?? S#$*

pulelehua
09-21-2012, 09:53 PM

Not a uke but when I was a kid, about 13, I heard what sounded like my guitar being plucked one string at a time in the middle of the night. Scared the &*^* out of me. Turned out it was the bridge ripping the soundboard of my first guitar. Just ripped the top, big hole where the bridge was. Too bad, that guitar sounded great, relatively inexpensive, but the top was apparently too light and not braced well enough.

Sadly, that's probably why it sounded so good. While it lasted...

AndrewKuker
09-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Aloha Bruddah Andrew,
I need definetely a bigger place, then you can build me something...but I love to keep my ukes in my cases as they don't get dusty and there is no accidents ...am I just soo wrong...LOL

Oh, ya! a rack for cases of course. Hope your ukes are all good, Kilin is a good repairman. You know him? Bummer when something like that happens.
A few years back at the uke festival I had a higher end Collings just fly off our table with a gust of wind. aahhhhhghhh hhhh ooooo:uhoh:

v30
09-22-2012, 02:50 AM
Stan, it must be like a game of jenga when you want to pick one out to play it. :D

GinnyT11
09-22-2012, 03:23 AM
What a shocker! Stan, I guess this means you shouldn't be sleeping, just in case the cases should decide to jump.... ;)

Pukulele Pete
09-22-2012, 03:36 AM
Maybe with the number of ukes you own , some of them are feeling neglected .

ksiegel
09-22-2012, 03:38 AM
Ha Ha If I did that, I wouldn't be able to walk in my small place...

Hey!

You want to walk, or you want to play?

Get your priorities straight, Stan!

(g)

-Kurt

fitncrafty
09-22-2012, 03:53 AM
You know.. There a a few UUer's in NY with plenty of storage for uke jenga.. we could take good care of you and your ukes.. he he..

mm stan
09-22-2012, 04:05 AM
Oh, ya! a rack for cases of course. Hope your ukes are all good, Kilin is a good repairman. You know him? Bummer when something like that happens.
A few years back at the uke festival I had a higher end Collings just fly off our table with a gust of wind. aahhhhhghhh hhhh ooooo:uhoh:
Aloha Andrew,
Is that Kai...your dad refferred me to him.....hmmm let me know... the guy that lives in kaneohe??

mm stan
09-22-2012, 04:07 AM
Stan, it must be like a game of jenga when you want to pick one out to play it. :D
I have to put charms on the handles so I know what is in each case...ha ha hard to decide what to play...get so many favorites

mm stan
09-22-2012, 04:08 AM
Ginny...now don't get me worried..ha ha sometimes real spooky....LOL

mm stan
09-22-2012, 04:10 AM
Hey!

You want to walk, or you want to play?

Get your priorities straight, Stan!

(g)

-Kurt

Aloha Kurt,
Actually I am in a wheelchair..did not want to sound like a disabled
uker..ha ha:)

mm stan
09-22-2012, 04:11 AM
Aloha Pete,
Like in big famalies certain ones do and many get Jealousy..ha ha

mm stan
09-22-2012, 04:14 AM
You know.. There a a few UUer's in NY with plenty of storage for uke jenga.. we could take good care of you and your ukes.. he he..

Aloha Fitncrafty....
but they will miss me and get homesick....besides they are not used to cold winters, they might crack up..LOL

AndrewKuker
09-22-2012, 04:33 AM
Aloha Andrew,
Is that Kai...your dad reffered me to him.....hmmm let me know... the guy that lives in kaneohe??

Ya, in Kailua. He worked with us for about 10 years and now on his own does good work, very reasonable cost. Mike has a good source too.
I'm not really up for my morning jog. got all excited shooting new Kamaka's, it's like after jamming and the adrenaline is going. a couple youtube videos later and the roosters are crowing. I see you are also fond of the best time of day, when everyone is quiet. aka night.
it's just too fun and easy to hang out here with all our little computers. you can lay in bed with the person you love and still talk about the things you love. a breakthrough in social and emotional satisfaction. But anyway, sleep awaits, give Kai a call because he gigs in Honolulu often and can pick up or just come look and has excellent knowledge. Worked for Santa Cruz Guitar before Ko'olau. 387-4583 -

mm stan
09-22-2012, 04:51 AM
Ya, in Kailua. He worked with us for about 10 years and now on his own does good work, very reasonable cost. Mike has a good source too.
I'm not really up for my morning jog. got all excited shooting new Kamaka's, it's like after jamming and the adrenaline is going. a couple youtube videos later and the roosters are crowing. I see you are also fond of the best time of day, when everyone is quiet. aka night.
it's just too fun and easy to hang out here with all our little computers. you can lay in bed with the person you love and still talk about the things you love. a breakthrough in social and emotional satisfaction. But anyway, sleep awaits, give Kai a call because he gigs in Honolulu often and can pick up or just come look and has excellent knowledge. Worked for Santa Cruz Guitar before Ko'olau. 387-4583 -
Aloha Andrew,
Yes I got his number and talked to him...a real nice guy....yup I am a nite owl....ha ha technology is great bruddah..have a nice dey....um I mean Susan Dey..aka lori partridge...hee hee

gitarzan
09-22-2012, 05:13 AM
For me, it was this morning ....I had 15 soprano cases with ukes
in them stacked on each other and it toppled over sending my tenors and
concerts following...Now what did I do wrong:confused::(
I thought I was behaving quite nicely lately:):o

Get a cat. At least you'll have someone else to blame.

KyKo
09-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Picked up the case for my Kala Mango cutaway tenor. Uke fell and fell hard. Got dinged up pretty savagely.

Laying in bed playing a super cheap pineapple that was like 15 dollars on eBay. Set it down on my bed, pulled the covers off me and got up. Came back to my bed and SAT ON THE UKE. I had folded the covers over the uke. Snapped the neck right off. A few ounces of wood glue later and she was brought back to life... sort of.

The Orange Mage
09-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Aquila Red strings snapping while I try to fall asleep... :eek:

OldePhart
09-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Wow...I guess I've been lucky so far... (great, way to jinx it john)

John

Tifflery
04-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Aloha Pat,

Sometimes I wonder too...strange stuff like that seems to oddly happen to me lately....now who did that?? S#$*

Man, stuff like that happens to me allllll the time. I'm just glad no one answered you...what would you have done then?!
One time we were sitting outside and playing ukes on the porch and my husband's Banjo (which he had aquired second hand from Ebay at a STEAL) was sitting on a table within arms length of him, and we finished what ever drunken song we were singing, and were laughing about how bad it sounded. Then I said, it sounded better than if you'd been playing that Banjo...and right when I said Banjo, each string sounded in a waterfall kind of strum.....seriously like someone strummed fairly quickly with their thumb....and quite loudly....
We just stared at each other, wide eyed.....while the chord rang and rang and rang.....(cold chills head to toe)
Needless to say, he finally picked up the Banjo and looked at it, and nothing was amiss....He had that Banjo for over a year, and it never did that again...even being outside and then inside, temperature changes etc...Of course, I never bad mouthed it again, either. He sold it on Ebay a few months ago. Thank god. I swear if I had woken up to Banjo music coming from it's closed case I would have taken it and thrown it in the pond. (After I wet myself, of course...)

Moral: Just be careful what you ask for....you might get it.

Uke Republic
04-18-2013, 07:13 AM
A few years back when my son was small I heard a very loud pulling and plucking sound early in the morning. My brain processed that I had left my uke out next to a chair over some tile. I'm not sure how but I got down twenty stairs in about 1/4 of a second to rescue my instrument from possible doom. Uke saved and toddler didn't cry.

Barbablanca
04-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Not had any Uke disasters (so far) but years back I was touring Scotland in a car and I had my beloved small bodied twelve string guitar on the back seat. Suddenly, there was an almighty KLANG - and when we stopped the car to investigate, I discovered that the bridge had torn right off. I think it was the influence of the sun on the instrument, because it was one of those rare days in Scotland when it isn't actually raining. But I'd never imagined the "heat" of a Scottish sunny day would have been enough to kill my little baby. :(

Sadly, the "repair" a local guitar shop did, involving putting a saddle on the heel and transferring the tension from the bridge (where the strings had ended originally) to the heel made this brittle beauty sound like a slug.

Tsani
04-18-2013, 07:42 AM
I haven't had any huge disasters so far. I have picked up a case that I thought was latched and had it pop open and my uke fell out - fortunately it was on carpet. The weirdest thing I had happen was to that I came in to prepare to play in church on Sunday morning and found that my one of my strings was totally gone. I leave my performance uke (an Epiphone Les Paul) in a stand at church so that I don't endanger it by carrying it around all the time. I found the string several feet away. The only thing I can figure out is that I tied the knot down on the bottom end too small and the string just popped out of the slot. I retied the knot and double knotted it and I haven't had any problems since.

Tonya
04-18-2013, 08:03 AM
I was strumming along with all my good friends, the tropical breezes were blowing and the palm trees swaying. They nodded at me, "Take a solo, Tonya." I confidently did, bending the strings gently and pulling sounds out of my MooreBettah that I'd never conquered before. A frosty mai tai waited beside me and, even though I was in Hawai'i I didn't have a hint of a sunburn on my shoulders. Simply heaven!

Then the morning tragedy: I woke up.

Telperion
04-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Not a disaster, but a nerve-wracking experience.... I had owned my Moore Bettah tenor for about a month. I set it on my couch while I answered the phone. I turned around after literally 5 seconds, and my then less than 2 year old twin girls had grabbed it off the couch and had it on the floor strumming away! Fortunately, no damage at all, and they were surprisingly gently with getting it from the couch to the carpet. Thankful it didn't go onto the hardwood floor! I think my blood pressure has returned to normal now. That was about 10 months ago.

-Steve

mds725
04-18-2013, 08:45 AM
I was strumming along with all my good friends, the tropical breezes were blowing and the palm trees swaying. They nodded at me, "Take a solo, Tonya." I confidently did, bending the strings gently and pulling sounds out of my MooreBettah that I'd never conquered before. A frosty mai tai waited beside me and, even though I was in Hawai'i I didn't have a hint of a sunburn on my shoulders. Simply heaven!

Then the morning tragedy: I woke up.

I've had a similar dream, but when I wake up, I don't have a Moore Bettah.

gitarzan
04-18-2013, 09:01 AM
My wife counted my Ukuleles.

kvehe
04-18-2013, 09:50 AM
So far (I've been lucky), the worst thing awakening me was in the dream category (mkatz, are you reading this?).

(Real-life background): Late last September/early October, mkatz had a Mya-Moe soprano for sale in the marketplace. I kept reading the listing over and over, but knew I had no business buying it because my own Mya-Moe super soprano was being built at the same same, for November delivery.

(The dream): The night of 10/05-10/06/12, I dreamed that I was waiting to meet him near my office, because we had discussed the purchase but I wanted to play it first, but when he arrived he was just completing the sale to someone else (because I had been dragging my feet). I was so upset I woke up.

(My action): That made me realize that I should just buy it and stop obsessing over it (after all, hey, this was a mango soprano and mine would be a koa super soprano, so they were different, right?). I believe I obsessed over it for about another three hours, and then decided that this was a sign from above. PM sent - so my first Mya-Moe ordered in April was actually my second received.

Craig Chee
04-18-2013, 10:17 AM
edit 2: and I totally didn't read the full title of the thread (wow I feel sheepish) and just replied thinking it was the worst things to happen concerning our ukes... hahaa... sigh.

Oh man... 2 funny (extremely not funny at the time) moments that I can remember:

1. This had to be way back around 2002. I was rushing out the house to a party with my Kamaka in those old school chip board cases with the 2 buckles. Ran out to the garage, opened the car door and my uke popped out (because I forgot to close the buckles...) and it bounced 4-5 times on it's bottom... it didn't fall flat because it was kept up by the side of the car, so it looked like a jack hammer coming down 5 times... yep... woke up neighbors with a bad word for sure.

2. This happened JUST recently (don't tell Mike DaSilva) at the Chico Ukefest. Played through my set fine, then we were back on to do the finale... I was just standing there waiting and my A string pops. With a loud POP. Now... in the moment... my adrenaline is pumping from performing and starting to think of what I could add to the last song we are about to do, then POP and I feel the pop resonate through the uke to my hands... So what do I do?
Yep, I throw the uke away from me. Like tossing a little sibling into the pool. It landed square on it's face and the whole room went silent. Well actually there were some going "ohhhhh....." and "ooooooo...."
This was with one of Mike's James Hill models that I've been sampling at the time and even though those things are like tanks, luckily there was no damage at all (still, don't tell Mike!!!).

Edit: just remembered another one from college... brought up a 5 string uke made for me to test by Sonny D and that very first weekend back a friend sat on it. hairline crack but still one of the saddest things to happen so soon after getting a uke.

electrauke
04-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Oh man... 2 funny (extremely not funny at the time) moments that I can remember:

1. This had to be way back around 2002. I was rushing out the house to a party with my Kamaka in those old school chip board cases with the 2 buckles. Ran out to the garage, opened the car door and my uke popped out (because I forgot to close the buckles...) and it bounced 4-5 times on it's bottom... it didn't fall flat because it was kept up by the side of the car, so it looked like a jack hammer coming down 5 times... yep... woke up neighbors with a bad word for sure.

2. This happened JUST recently (don't tell Mike DaSilva) at the Chico Ukefest. Played through my set fine, then we were back on to do the finale... I was just standing there waiting and my A string pops. With a loud POP. Now... in the moment... my adrenaline is pumping from performing and starting to think of what I could add to the last song we are about to do, then POP and I feel the pop resonate through the uke to my hands... So what do I do?
Yep, I throw the uke away from me. Like tossing a little sibling into the pool. It landed square on it's face and the whole room went silent. Well actually there were some going "ohhhhh....." and "ooooooo...."
This was with one of Mike's James Hill models that I've been sampling at the time and even though those things are like tanks, luckily there was no damage at all (still, don't tell Mike!!!).

Edit: just remembered another one from college... brought up a 5 string uke made for me to test by Sonny D and that very first weekend back a friend sat on it. hairline crack but still one of the saddest things to happen so soon after getting a uke.

Oh my, that is crazy, I tried to win that model at the Reno uke fest, glad it was not damaged, Craig "Crazy" Chee.