When you don't practice, what goes first ?

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
Timing ? Strumming ? Fingering ?

Due to the new job (it's s** and I hate it, but thanks for asking) I haven't had any time to play for the past month. Picked my Fender up today for the first time and found that the fingering is still fine, maybe even a little better than it was before, but I can't strum to save my life.

How does lack of practice/enforced rest affect everyone else ?

The first that goes if I don't play:

My mind.

For me, it's my ability to form chords, no question. I become that most awful person, the one who pauses before each chord change. Sorry about the job thing, but enjoy your vacation.....

Last edited:
Crap!

You mean I'm actually supposed to practice???

Well that explains a lot...

Scooter

When you don't practice, what goes first ?

Your will to live.

For me, it's fingering, no question. I become that most awful person, the one who pauses before each chord change. Sorry about the job thing, but enjoy your vacation.....

Meh...job, shmob...I'll get another one when I get back. Not going to let it spoil my holiday in any way. Apparently, there's a great bar with live music called "Trees Lounge" directly outside the hotel on Kauai. The fact that it's named after one of my favourite films might be a good omen.

I don't practice. I play about 20 minutes a day (arthritis), so I would say FUN goes first!

I've been messing around with music stuff almost daily, but haven't picked up a uke in like a month. That Koaloha sure did sound sweet earlier tonight. For me, it's my fingers. My fingers have other ideas about where the notes actually are.

For me it's the voice. That's a large part of the reason I've been participating (as the stinkin' job allows) in the "Seasons" challenge over in the contests forum - it forces me to actually sing a little bit. I've still lost probably an octave off the top of my range since I used to sing regularly fronting a little gospel trio.

After that...well...it's hard to say because i'm always playing something with strings...bass, guitar, uke, whatever. I suppose fingering suffers if I go too long without playing a particular instrument, vs. strumming which is similar on most of them. It tends to come back pretty quick though. I hadn't played much guitar in four years, and probably hadn't touched one in a year, when I recently had to front the band for a week and the fingering came back to me within a few minutes - of course I played guitar for ten years before that...

John

I forget everything. I've been super busy lately and haven't played in probably 3 weeks. Last night I picked up my uke and strumming felt incredibly clumsy, plus I couldn't remember chords to songs that have been in my repertoire for years! I felt like an idiot...

The second thing to go is the memory.
I've forgotten the first.

Top Bottom