Kala KA-STATTOO vs. Luna Honu: Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silveraven

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at getting my first ukulele and I've narrowed it down to a Kala KA-STATTOO and a Luna Honu. I've been reading great things about both ukes but was wondering if anyone had tried both? Which would be a better instrument to start with?

I'm a marine biologist who works with turtles so the Honu seems very "me". But I'm also into tattoos and I think the black KA-STATOO looks very very cool. They both seems to be around the same price range (inclusive of set-up).

Any advice and feedback would be very much appreciated. :) Thanks!

Hi! My 2 cents worth. I bought my daughter a Luna Concert tattoo model, and she loves it. Very loud uke. I'm a great big Kala fan myself, I only have one uke and it's a Kala. I don't want any other. Buy it from Mim's Ukes or Uke Republic or a reputable dealer like those and you can't go wrong. Buying a "cheaper" uke is a crapshoot unless you do....

Hi! My 2 cents worth. I bought my daughter a Luna Concert tattoo model, and she loves it. Very loud uke. I'm a great big Kala fan myself, I only have one uke and it's a Kala. I don't want any other. Buy it from Mim's Ukes or Uke Republic or a reputable dealer like those and you can't go wrong. Buying a "cheaper" uke is a crapshoot unless you do....

Between the Luna and the Kala, which would you recommend? I would love to get both, but I'm not even sure if I'll like playing the ukulele yet! :)

I think I'd say the Kala. But it's also very important WHO you buy it from. Watch this forum, and make sure you receive it "set up". I'm sure you're gonna love playing, unless there is something very very wrong with you.... LOL.

I think I'd say the Kala. But it's also very important WHO you buy it from. Watch this forum, and make sure you receive it "set up". I'm sure you're gonna love playing, unless there is something very very wrong with you.... LOL.

Thanks Nickie! I'm planning on getting it either through ukerepublic or HMS. Those should be really good sources to get from since EVERYONE writes highly of them!

**Edit**

I dropped a message with MGM and he actually suggested the Luna Honu over the Kala. ALL my friends thinks the Honu is nicer too, so I changed my mind and decided to go with the Honu.

But! As I was checking out the price + shipping at HMS, I nearly had a heart attack ($89 + $88.95 international shipping). The shipping was nearly the same price as the Honu. I'm gonna sit on this for a bit, I think!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom