1920′s Martin 1K Koa Ukulele

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
1920′s Martin 1K Koa Ukulele [PRICE REDUCED]

Koa soprano Martin uke, model 1K.

I don't have an exact year for this uke, but I do know is was built between 1920 and 1930. Martin didn't start making a koa 1K until 1920, and they started putting decals on the headstock in 1930 (which this uke doesn't have), so this appears to be right in that 1920-1930 range.

UPDATE: The patent pegs indicate that this uke is post-1927 (thanks peewee!)

It's very clean and 100% playable. Some wear from strumming in the area where the fretboard joins the body. There are also grooves below the bridge slots from string knots going in and out.

Back and sides have some light nicks and scuffs from normal use, but overall this uke is in amazing shape.

Very big, sweet sound with awesome projection.

Includes original hardshell case in good condition (follow link for pics).

I'm posting a few pictures here, but there are many more available on our store's website: http://www.tejonstreetmusic.com/product/1920s-martin-1k-koa-ukulele/

Special UU price: $1250 (reduced from $1500) including shipping and insurance.

To purchase or talk to somebody in person, please call or email us at Tejon Street Music using the contact info on our store website.

1920s-Martin-1K-koa-ukulele-1.jpg1920s-Martin-1K-koa-ukulele-3.jpg
1920s-Martin-1K-koa-ukulele-13.jpg1920s-Martin-1K-koa-ukulele-10.jpg

Last edited:
Just LOVELY! If we hadn't just bought my wife HER dream Grand Piano, I'd be all over this! Great shape & fair price.

Wow that is nice!

Wow!

It's in such GREAT shape!! Beauty.....

Um, I have a new 3k on order, I have to pass. Nicest 1k I've seen in a long time.

Thanks for the kind words, guys! It really is one of the coolest old instruments I've ever come across. It's amazing how big it sounds for such a tiny instrument--I love when vintage stuff like this actually sounds as good as it looks!

Koa soprano Martin uke, model 1K.

I don't have an exact year for this uke, but I do know is was built between 1920 and 1930. Martin didn't start making a koa 1K until 1920, and they started putting decals on the headstock in 1930 (which this uke doesn't have), so this appears to be right in that 1920-1930 range.

According to http://www.oocities.org/~ukulele/martin2.html the patent pegs are 1927 and up, and the decals came in in 1932.

It's a beauty!

Thanks, peewee--I didn't come across that bit of info about the pegs when I was originally researching it, but that really helps nail it down!

As far as the decals go, I came up with the pre-1930 time frame based on some info I came across at http://www.mugwumps.com/cfm_date.html:

Craig Thompson wrote, "I recently talked to the ukulele expert, Mike, at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto. One good way of dating old Martin ukuleles is the headstock. First, they stamped the logo on the back of the peghead (from circa 1895). Then they started putting decals on the front of the headstock in 1930. Until 1932, they continued to stamp the back of the headstock with CF Martin & Co. So if you don't have a decal, it's pre-1930, if you have both decal and stamp, it was built between 1930 and 1932. ...

This seems to be a reliable source, but I have seen a few other sites which cite 1932 as the year they started doing decals. Any thoughts?

The most beatiful 1K I have ever seen :love:

I LOVE that original case too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom