Seeking set of faux tortoise shell tuners for banjuke

Hobazoe

Reaction score
Hello All:

I am looking for a set(up to 4) faux tortoiseshell friction tuning pegs for a vintage Hanalei banjuke. I have 2 good ones, so I am looking for at least two more. The holes are 1/4" wide. 2 1/2 " long. I can send a picture if that would help

Last edited:
Ooooooh! Those are NICE! I wonder if they will fit Grover uke tuners? I'd almost be willing to spend $30 to find out!

Ooooooh! Those are NICE! I wonder if they will fit Grover uke tuners? I'd almost be willing to spend $30 to find out!

I'm thinking the same thing, Chris! If we could find one more uker who wants to gamble, we could buy two sets of six for a total of twelve tuner buttons, and then split them up three ways. I'm in, if you are....

BTW, it specifies in the ad that they are FOR Grover tuners....

The ebay seller taisamlu has some nice tuners for various instruments. Saw he had banjo tuners and I have these red pearl button uke tuners that look like red faux tortoise shell.
229NP2R1-1.JPG

Mailman, I'm in if we can get one more. Or we could do a 2 to 1 split, if no one else is game.

The Grover tuner buttons that you saw on the Allparts site will not fit the Grover uke tuner shafts. The guitar tuner buttons have a much smaller hole size and are interchangeable with other other Grover guitar machines but not with Grover friction uke tuners.

Gah! I suspected as much. I wonder if someone could drill them out to the right size, if they knew what they were doing? Not ME, though. I know my limitations and I have NO business attempting such a thing!

Gah! I suspected as much. I wonder if someone could drill them out to the right size, if they knew what they were doing? Not ME, though. I know my limitations and I have NO business attempting such a thing!

The answer to this question would be no. If you had them drilled out, the side wall on the plastic knob would be too thin to last very long. If the knob was metal then that might work, but not plastic, it would fatigue too fast and break. Uke knobs are actually thicker then guitar knobs because of the shaft size. The holes for these knobs, both guitar and uke are not simply a round holes, but elongated, something like an O only stretched out. You would have to drill a series of holes in a line to get that shape with a drill. You would also have to drill them to the right depth to fit the shaft. It might be best just to buy a new set of tuners that you can live with.

The ebay seller taisamlu has some nice tuners for various instruments. Saw he had banjo tuners and I have these red pearl button uke tuners that look like red faux tortoise shell.
229NP2R1-1.JPG

Those are beautiful! I'm a sucker for amber coloured things.

Top Bottom