Hey Compass Rose Fans....

maclay

Reaction score
Warning: Staring directly at this ukulele may cause temporary blindness.

This is a Rick Turner Compass Rose Concert (aka the Nano Jumbo.) It is California Sycamore w/ Rope Binding.

This uke is so outrageous that I just had to share. Enjoy!

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/39665/39665.php

Last edited:
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

quick dear...pass my pills and sunglasses...aaaasrrrrrghghghghh :p

Nice work Jake. How's it sound? Hoping to hear a sound clip from Tom Culbertson

In all seriousness though, I think it just looks "cheap". I won't deny that it's different, but so is Spongebob Squarepants, and I can't see too many people requesting THAT finish on a custom Uke.

Come on guys.....I love this ukulele. Embrace the insanity :)

Love?!? A mere LOVE? This uke invokes a deep unseated desire to posess that calls me to sell all my other inferior possessions to own.

Simply over the top beautiful! What exquisite woodgrain & treatment.

It looks like an oompa loompa.

Not quite sure how I feel about it... I bet it looks better in person.

Aloha Jake,
Wow it is really Hypnotizing..and the craftmanship superb....of course you get Rick's killer sound.. thank you for sharing..
Of course your ukes are in the same level too..

Not to change the topic, but ... Are there any plans for a concert size Hive Ukulele?

In all seriousness though, I think it just looks "cheap". I won't deny that it's different, but so is Spongebob Squarepants, and I can't see too many people requesting THAT finish on a custom Uke.

Kahuna, that is not the finish, Sycamore is just crazy looking. This is the natural grain of the wood.
I understand that its not for everyone, but its perfect for someone :) Its a divisive little thing.....its the kind of uke that people will either love or hate.

A bit busy, but without going over the top (some ukes definitely approach the top). I think it's gorgeous :)

Kahuna, that is not the finish, Sycamore is just crazy looking. This is the natural grain of the wood.

I'm aware of that. If you read my post, it should be obvious that I was referring to a Spongebob Squarepants paint job being "THAT" finish.

preview.jpg

Rick does wonderful work and I bet working with that insane grain drove him half-crazy but this particular uke just doesn't do it for me; it's way too "busy" for my taste. He might want to attach a warning label in case it sends an epileptic into a fit... <g>

John

Top Bottom