Assuming daily play, how often do you change your strings?

estreya

Reaction score
Greetings, all!

The low G on my Covered Bridge Concert Pineapple was unwinding over one of the frets and just seemed to be generally tuckered out. I put on a new string this morning, but i'm wondering if i should change out the other strings as well. I'm getting a bit of buzzing on some chords, but i think that's probably due to my poor form rather than the older strings.

Are old strings more likely to buzz? Is it best when one string is changed out to change the others as well for the sake of consistent wear?

Thoughts? Hopes? Dreams?

Cheers!

If you feel that one string is past its best then its
better to change a full set! Gives them all the same
'life' as a set that way.

I change my strings when I feel like everything I play sounds buzzy and awful.. MY eleuke has needed new strings for months and they are sitting here.. I just despise breaking in new strings. It's no fun! Ha ha.. Although if I had to change one I would probably change them all..

THought hopes and dreams that another thread.. I would love to be an amazing player (working on it) love to travel the world and I dream of waking up with an great singing voice and the confidence to go with it.. :)
PLus I would love to travel and have a mya moe.. :) Not to mention Peace on Earth and lots of other things too..

Coming from the steel string world, I find that nylon and flourocarbon strings have a much long useful life. Dead skin and oils get gunked up in the windings of steel strings, making them go dead regardless of how well you maintain them. Even if you avoid this, the windings will eventually begin to crack from fretting.

Non-wound uke strings, on the other hand, aren't really subject to these things. I have a lot of ukes, so there isn't one I play every day, but I find a can get 2 or 3 months (or longer) out of a set of strings without any real degradation in tone.

Bottom line: change 'em when they don't sound right to you.

Excellent. I'm going to change the others out right now.

Thank you so much everyone!

The low G ... was unwinding

Wound G strings wear out faster than plain.
I replace wound Aquila low Gs several times before I replace the other strings.

I average maybe 20-30 hours of playing time on a wound G before it wears out from friction on the frets.

Since I hate to change strings I wait way too long. Probably about every 3 months. I can tell, though, I should change them when the A string feels scratchy from fingerpicking. 2 months would probably be better.

Depends on the strings. Aquilas I can wear pretty much to a frazzle in a few weeks. Fluorocarbon last, much, much, longer. I've had the fluorocarbon strings on my sopranos since early June and they are still in great shape in spite of the fact that I play those ukes probably 95% of my uking time.

The Ko'Olau Gold nylon strings on my mango tenor have been on for nine or ten months but I rarely play that uke.

I put on a set of Worth clear, low G strings and it sounds so much better. After a few days, they're holding their tune.

Thanks again all, for your responses.

I run my fingernail under the strings. If I can feel grooves left by the frets, it's time to change. (don't think that works with wound strings)

I run my fingernail under the strings. If I can feel grooves left by the frets, it's time to change. (don't think that works with wound strings)

Thanks for that tip, and the thread. I had no idea how long to go on these strings.

well all i can say is that i must be either tone deaf or tight as a ducks a***e coz i have got strings still on some of my ukes from the day i bought them and they sound just fine to me, although they don't get played every day, my fluke strings have one or two dead spots so i think i will change them soon interesting thread

well all i can say is that i must be either tone deaf or tight as a ducks a***e coz i have got strings still on some of my ukes from the day i bought them and they sound just fine to me, although they don't get played every day, my fluke strings have one or two dead spots so i think i will change them soon interesting thread

I'm pretty much the same. Once I find a set that fits the uke, I just keep it there. I have yet to wear out a set, and I do play everyday :confused:

Once in a blue moon.

I'm pretty much the same. Once I find a set that fits the uke, I just keep it there. I have yet to wear out a set, and I do play everyday :confused:

I play every day but I jiggle them about a bit to sorta spread the lurve and not leave any uke out for too long :D

The tenor I play most days, I change the strings about once every two months. On my backup ukes, the strings get changed once every year or two.

Top Bottom