Uke Leash Question

riki55

Reaction score
I've been thinking about purchasing one or more of these, but I have a question. Where you place the leash around the headstock, does it rub on the finish or is the nylon really soft so it doesn't matter. I tried finding any info on this on UU, but couldn't.
Thanks.

I've been thinking about purchasing one or more of these, but I have a question. Where you place the leash around the headstock, does it rub on the finish or is the nylon really soft so it doesn't matter. I tried finding any info on this on UU, but couldn't.
Thanks.

I have the leather and the smooth side is recommended for the headstock.. it's not an issue... I would imagine the nylons soft also.

You can make your own strap for just a couple of dollars and it will not touch the uke in any way. First of all, you need a button on the bottom of your uke. If you don't have one, (and they are cheap, only around $3.000 installing one is quite simple as long as you have a block of wood inside your uke. Look inside your uke with a flashlight, and check. Most good ukes will have them. Go to your local craft shop, material store or Home Depot and purchase a few feet of nylon strapping and a plastic buckle. That's all you need to buy. Cut a small slit in one end of the strapping and slip it over your button on the uke. Slide the other end of the strapping under your strings on the headstock and slip the buckle on and adjust the length to something that is comfortable for you. You're done. Good luck.

riki55-- I own plenty of uke leaches. The Poly do not seem to abraid the head, from my experience, but I sit still and play. That said, the Poly straps might have the potential for scratches if one was to move around (eg live performance) a lot. For that, Lori has the strap headstock protector, which I have for one of my high end ukes. It is soft, indeed.

Another tip--the leather strap, although more costly, is supple and nice (better than I thought initially, now I;d only buy the leather ones) and they are softer on the headstock. I love the leather for looks, but also for softness.

Lori's ukeleashes are well worth the money.. sure we could make our own. I have lots of things I would rather be doing. I love that she offers a great product at a great price with excellent customer service...
I will continue to order from her. I have had no problems with the finish on my ukes so far..

Thanks, everyone for the replies. That helps me a lot. I think the leather sounds good. None of my ukes are expensive, but I still didn't want to rub the finish off.

I've got about 5 of Lori's nylon uke leash's and would and do put them on any of my ukes and I've got a few nice ones. I can't express enough how well they work and make playing and holding the uke in place. Well worth the small price. You may want to buy a couple of extra headstock straps too.

Top Bottom