F-hole reinforcement?

erich@muttcrew.net

Reaction score
On our latest build we're using a cedar (WRC this time) top with f-holes. I'm wondering if we need to add some kind of reinforcement around the f-holes. The braces are pretty far away from the holes and I'm concerned that something might break down the road.

i use a fiberglass MESH and epoxy
On our latest build we're using a cedar (WRC this time) top with f-holes. I'm wondering if we need to add some kind of reinforcement around the f-holes. The braces are pretty far away from the holes and I'm concerned that something might break down the road.

Some mandolin builders, maybe borrowed from the violin tradition, use gauze saturated in hide glue to prevent splitting while others bind the f hole to strengthen that area. There are an awful lot that do nothing at all and haven't had any problems.

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone :)

I'm urged to try the gauze+hide glue solution since we're using hide glue anyway and there's gauze in the medicine chest, though I'm not yet sure it will stiffen the area that much. I was planning to put a 0.7 mm strip of wenge on the inside edge, but really more for aesthetic reasons and as protection for the edges - I didn't have in mind that it would add any strength.

Top Bottom