PDA

View Full Version : Uke Minutes 28 - Scale Exercise I

anaka
11-15-2008, 02:52 AM
Hey people of the Underground! The new episode of Uke Minutes is up! A bunch of you have been asking about warm ups and ways to practice scales, so here is an exercise just for you. Comments, questions? Got your own exercise to share? Post below!!

http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/11/15/uke-minutes-28-scale-exercise-i/

Fred Miu
11-15-2008, 08:08 AM
mean, thanks brah. imma practice this

scaramanga
01-27-2009, 01:52 AM
hi,

which fingering would i use if i would like to transpose this exercise?
i tried to bar the base fret with my index finger and then use the others to play but it seems to be a little akward.

any suggestions?

scaramanga
02-16-2009, 09:42 AM
no one?
i could really need teachin' on this one

anaka
02-16-2009, 10:19 AM
hi,

which fingering would i use if i would like to transpose this exercise?
i tried to bar the base fret with my index finger and then use the others to play but it seems to be a little akward.

any suggestions?

Barring with your index finger is only really useful when transposing Chords or Chord Patterns. With individual notes, such as those in a scale, all you have to do is move each note up however many frets (half steps) you want them to go up.

For example, your C scale:

A|-----------0-2-3-
E|-----0-1-3-------
C|-0-2-------------
G|-----------------

In order to transpose it to a D scale, all you would do is move each note up two frets (or +2 to each of the numbers).

A|-----------2-4-5-
E|-----2-3-5-------
C|-2-4-------------
G|-----------------

Now, using this exercise on the C scale would go like this:

A|---------------0---2-0-3-
E|---0---1-0-3-1---3-------
C|-0---2-------------------
G|-------------------------

And to transpose that to the D scale, you'd do the same thing - just move each note up two frets:

A|---------------2---4-2-5-
E|---2---3-2-5-3---5-------
C|-2---4-------------------
G|-------------------------

So yup, no need for barring because these are played as individual notes, not as chords. Hope that helps!

doolf
10-30-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm splitting hairs here, but when I play the major scales in thirds, I like to end it after where Aldrine did, adding 7, 9, and 8 again. It seems to resolve the sound more nicely, and adds a note to your range. Same thing on the bottom, going down to the 7 below the root. Give it a try if you like, you may enjoy it.

Thanks for another great video Aldrine!