Uke Minutes 28 - Scale Exercise I

ok, but:

hi,

which fingering would i use if i would like to transpose this exercise?
i tried to bar the base fret with my index finger and then use the others to play but it seems to be a little akward.

any suggestions?

hi,

which fingering would i use if i would like to transpose this exercise?
i tried to bar the base fret with my index finger and then use the others to play but it seems to be a little akward.

any suggestions?

Barring with your index finger is only really useful when transposing Chords or Chord Patterns. With individual notes, such as those in a scale, all you have to do is move each note up however many frets (half steps) you want them to go up.

For example, your C scale:

Code:
A|-----------0-2-3-
E|-----0-1-3-------
C|-0-2-------------
G|-----------------

In order to transpose it to a D scale, all you would do is move each note up two frets (or +2 to each of the numbers).

Code:
A|-----------2-4-5-
E|-----2-3-5-------
C|-2-4-------------
G|-----------------

Now, using this exercise on the C scale would go like this:

Code:
A|---------------0---2-0-3-
E|---0---1-0-3-1---3-------
C|-0---2-------------------
G|-------------------------

And to transpose that to the D scale, you'd do the same thing - just move each note up two frets:

Code:
A|---------------2---4-2-5-
E|---2---3-2-5-3---5-------
C|-2---4-------------------
G|-------------------------

So yup, no need for barring because these are played as individual notes, not as chords. Hope that helps!

I'm splitting hairs here, but when I play the major scales in thirds, I like to end it after where Aldrine did, adding 7, 9, and 8 again. It seems to resolve the sound more nicely, and adds a note to your range. Same thing on the bottom, going down to the 7 below the root. Give it a try if you like, you may enjoy it.

Thanks for another great video Aldrine!

Top Bottom