Reasons not to buy a cheap ukulele

Skrik

Reaction score
We can help the newbies avoid grief by spending a bit more money on a better ukulele. Post your pics.

Here's the first reason: split, badly glued bridge that deadens the ukulele.

Attachments

• 20120925_090721.jpg
    20120925_090721.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 193
Think I'd crash the UU sever if I posted a pic of every fault with the first Mahalo I ever bought...

Here is the rub!

I have a Wednesday Mahalo - it's red and I have restrung it with aquilas lowered the action and it has become a great beater uke, I keep it at work.

So there are some good cheap ukes out there, you just need to do the 'John West' test with each of them until you find the right one.

I have also played a very expensive, over built uke that would put people off.

Some members are very happy with their inexpensive 'ukuleles. Please can we make sure that this thread doesn't make them feel bad about that?

Thanks.

Apart from that, good idea to give people pointers about issues to watch for. Some cheaper ukes are really very good value, but quality control can be inconsistent in budget land.

I have a Ohana SK- 15 which was less than $100, I keep it at work and everyone who hears it comments on how nice it sounds. I bought it from Uke Republic and it came set up perfectly. I think it's a good idea to get an inexpensive uke that is set up properly, then later, when you are ready to spend more, you have a great uke that you are not afraid to take on trips and outings. I guess the point of the OP was share why you shouldn't buy a cheap ukulele, but I think you shouldn't buy something that's not set up unless you know how to set it up yourself.

I have a Ohana SK- 15 which was less than $100, I keep it at work and everyone who hears it comments on how nice it sounds. I bought it from Uke Republic and it came set up perfectly. I think it's a good idea to get an inexpensive uke that is set up properly, then later, when you are ready to spend more, you have a great uke that you are not afraid to take on trips and outings. I guess the point of the OP was share why you shouldn't buy a cheap ukulele, but I think you shouldn't buy something that's not set up unless you know how to set it up yourself.

I totally agree with you except for the part about 100 dollars being cheap. Cheap ukes generally cost less than 30 dollars. Around 100 you start to get very decent ones that I would defo recommend people to buy. But yes, a good set-up is the key.

I totally agree with you except for the part about 100 dollars being cheap. Cheap ukes generally cost less than 30 dollars. Around 100 you start to get very decent ones that I would defo recommend people to buy. But yes, a good set-up is the key.

There is a BIG difference between cheap and inexpensive.
I don't believe they are always interchangeable. The $10 souvenir toys are cheap and mostly unplayable.
A $40 Dolphin is inexpensive and most are very playable.

There is a BIG difference between cheap and inexpensive.
I don't believe they are always interchangeable. The $10 souvenir toys are cheap and mostly unplayable.
A $40 Dolphin is inexpensive and most are very playable.

True :agree:

These are great points re: cheap and inexpensive, good 'beater' vs unplayable toy, $100 vs <$30, etc.

I think this is the kind of discussion that really helps newbies (and everyone) consider how they think
about their ukulele-buying criteria.

keep up the discussion. It's bringing out a lot of thoughtful things to consider.

keep uke'in',

Remember those really cool, kinda expensive, Kala archtops? Yeah, mine has a bridge in worse shape than in the OP. :(

When I got my *inexpensive* Dolphin, the research and work that I had to do to improve its action was one of the best things to help me learn about the mechanics of the instrument I had just fallen in love with.

That said, I will not put money into an *inexpensive* uke again. :uhoh:
(Unless my daughter wants one before she turns 7)

I agree "inexpensive" is a relative term. When I first travelled overseas, I didn't want to travel with a uke, so I bought a $30 cheapie when I got there and it became my trip uke. Not much in terms of tone, but intonation and playability were fine, so I was happy to have it. No telling how long it would have lasted, as I abandoned it there after my trip was over.

I purchased a $79 Makala for a friend's nephew, and I was pleasantly surprised; again, not a world-class instrument, but for the very reasonable price, it played well and sounded fine.

My two Mainlands retail for around $200 or so each, and I think they are great ukes. There are definitely higher-priced ukes that will give you more, but I feel like the Mainlands pretty much have everything the casual player needs in terms of construction, tone, looks, and playability. $200 may not be cheap to a lot of people, but its not much for an instrument that could meet your needs for years.

Hey...I like cheap ukes...when I first started I always blamed the uke for my failures.....get it set up and new strings....and check it before you by it...
Today I still play my first uke every day and it's by my computer side....24.95 rogue soprano... it has the tone and playability I like....even my OU2 second uke
is my second go to uke.....I try not to be a shallow person with ukes or anything else...I'll give everything a try. doesn't take much effort to have fun with any ukulele

Last edited:
I think vintage ukuleles have a lot of potential but maybe aren't great for a new player (too many land mines and pitfalls). I got a Harmony Roy Smeck for less than $50 shipped and it sounds really great. It had a few very tiny hairline cracks that needed some hot hide glue worked into them but it sounds so much better than most of the cheap or inexpensive stuff coming from Asia and it wasn't any more expensive really.

My first ukulele was a Hilo. It sounded pretty bad, it was way overbuilt and had horrible action and intonation. If my father hadn't bought me a Fluke for a present I may be sitting on a different forum right now instead of UU. The one thing I can say about it though was that it stayed in tune. I found it in my parent's house a few months ago after not seeing it for years and it was still in tune! Still didn't sound very good. :)

I agree that there is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive, and count me as someone who thinks a $100-$200 uke is expensive. That's a lot of bread for a discretionary item (for most folks).

My $40 Dolphin is still played VERY regularly.

A ukulele can be an affordable way into musical instruments because musical instruments for the most part, aren't very affordable.

buddhuu - I regularly recommend beginners entry level ukes - particularly the Makala Dolphin. Played many of those (own some too), played many Mahalos - no contest IMHO.

All I can say is buy from someone you trust. I always tell people when they ask what uke they should start with, and they also ask how much?
My answer is "I would spend no less than $75, and get it from someone like Mim, uke republic, or a friend/dealer you trust)
I know you can get $40 ukes, but I feel for the most part those are not great starter ukes.
If they start with a Cordoba UP-110, Oscar Schmidt OU-2, or maybe a kala base uke, they will be more likely to stick with it.
The dolphins are great ukes once you know what a uke is and want a beater.

I'll agree with the Bruko no. 6! In Europe they are a little cheaper since shipping to the US cost about $60 (the ukulele itself is only $120).

Top Bottom