I could just cry ):

bonesigh

Reaction score
This has been bothering me for a while now and I just read the post about cheap ukes so I thought I would vent.

This is the thing...I went to a lot of trouble to make sure that kids at our school had the right ukes for the school program. Without my knowing the superintendent got involved and told the teacher that he "must" put in an order form for kids to buy from our local music store. (They know nothing about ukes). They are ordered from a catalog. The only ukes available are Hilo and Diamond Head. They sound terrible and some are impossible to tune.

When I found out I tried to stop the flow but it was useless. The deed was done and I was to keep my mouth shut about it. Just about every kid has a cruddy uke to use at home now. Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I'm familiar with situations such as yours. If it's already a done deal here's what you need to do. Take them to a local luthier (who knows ukuleles) and explain the situation to him. Hopefully he will volunteer his time and help you out. Spring for some new strings and have your luthier install them as well as change the action at the nut and saddle. I've set up hundreds of ukes in this manner than were otherwise unplayable. It should make a big difference. Almost any inexpensive uke can be improved through a few properly made adjustments.

Ditto that. A small investment with a big return.

I'm sure that anyone reading this who has worked (or works) in education will recognise where you are coming from on this one. "Efficiency" seeking bursars or bureaucratic assistant heads who know everything have shattered many a well-meaning knowledgeable teacher's illusions. My sympathies....

I feel your pain. Use to work for a warehousing co. that sent office personnel to buy a forklift. They are no longer in business. Imagine that.

Sounds like "somebody" knows the owner of that store...

Yeah keep quiet for your superiors screw ups....didn't I hear that before .... Yes Mr Moore got it right...You know I love my 24.95 first chinese uke...it is by my computer and play it every day.
I have two Hilos and after a set up and strings both have a deep rich sound and open geared tuners.. I love mine....not the greatest but playable and fun to me.. not sure about diamond head though...good luck I can have fun with most any uke...I truely believe learning how to tune your ukulele is the most important thing and getting better strings and setups when first learning

Last edited:
Would that I could get a hold of all those ukes. They've all gone home with the individual kids and if I made an announcement at the club the cat would be out of the bag. In fact if I could figure out how to close this thread it would probably be a good idea. My bad, what if word gets out from here.

Well, at least my school still has the Chalmers Doane Ukuleles from that program in the 60s. We have about 23 of them. They are the triangular "northern" brand ukuleles. They are a little hard to tune due to the fact they have friction pegs. But not as bad as the ones you find at any music store.

-Coleton

Send all the kids with the bad ukes to the Superintendant's home for an impromptu concert! As often as possible, and ask the local reporter to cover the story.

I'm sure that anyone reading this who has worked (or works) in education will recognise where you are coming from on this one. "Efficiency" seeking bursars or bureaucratic assistant heads who know everything have shattered many a well-meaning knowledgeable teacher's illusions. My sympathies....

Been there. They know the price of everything and the value of nothing and are too proud to consult those who really know. Even if they do consult you, they ignore your advice.

Oh dear! Sounds a bit like our present government!

I apologize to all the superintendents that trust their people who have the knowledge to do the right thing. This fella is not in that category. I admire you for having such a program. Music is so great for kids, especially when it comes from a uke.

Sounds like these ukes may not only be not worth fixing, but not even worth tuning...

But if they do have adjustable friction pegs, a bit of work with a screwdriver will take care of that.

Hey, worst case, they'll probably burn well...

I'm a teacher, and am thrilled to say that I have never encountered anything like this. I got a batch of Makalas for my kids, and they're great.

Very sorry your boss is an ignorant dick. <did i say that out loud?>

Top Bottom