Can you tell... in your opinion, what are Fair Margins (and not Obscene Profits)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy T.

Reaction score
What is your opinion on reasonable mark-ups for sellers of small fretted musical instrument?

Sellers of musical items need to sell products at margins greater than their cost to survive.

As not all sellers offer the same services, or have the same costs, that is why the question is asked.

What % margins over wholesale costs do you think is O.K.?

If you plan to buy the same small fretted instrument from a .......
Big City Music Stores: ______ % margin is O.K.?
Local Music Stores: ______ % margin is O.K.?
Web-Page Internet-based Sellers: ______ % margin is O.K.?
Box sellers, ebay, Google, Amazon: ______ % margin is O.K.?

I neither know nor care. Their reputation as a seller is paramount to me and price is secondary. Either I am willing to pay the price they are selling at or I am not. I will pay a bit more if I know I am buying from a reliable trader.

If you sell musical instruments, Obscene Profits are off the table. Really, I think the question is vaguely insulting. The internet will very quickly tell you the range of prices that an instrument typically sells for. Small retailers will often come in slightly higher because they offer a higher level of service (typically including instrument prep) and of course, they have bills to pay. If you don't value the service provided by these retailers, don't give them your business. If you feel their prices are too high, make them an offer. But if you think that music shop owners are jetting off to Cancun with the crazy profits they make selling ukes...

When you are right, you are right!

Obscene Profits are "off the table"..... I don't know how to edit a thread, or I would do so now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom