First Dulcimer!

AKuker

Reaction score
Just received my first dulcimer. A Sweet Woods Student model. It's really nice. Can't wait to get it home and start playing with it. My first venture musically outside of my ukes.

Dulcimers are wonderful fun too! Great for improvising new melodies on and you can play around with different modes either by changing the tuning, or else using a capo. Or even go beyond the basics by learning chords, etc on the instrument.

Happy days with your Dulcimer!!! :cool:

Hi, AKuker -

I'm in the market for my first dulcimer. How do you like your Sweet Woods student model?

Congrats! I'm an avid dulcimer player....love it. You'll have tons of fun with your new dulcimer. Try to attend some festivals, if you can.

Thanks Frets a lot, I am having fun with it. I'm a bit too far from ht e festival options, but I just signed up for Dulcimer School online. That should at least give me some guidelines. Honestly, just strumming or plinking it based on the tabs I have has been a kick!

Ukamuca

Wife has just ordered a Dulcimer fro Amazon! She always wanted to play a stringed insrument and thought wow when she saw them!

I thought I'd be able to take lessons last fall, so I bought one (okay, two), but then my uke lessons were changed to the same time as the dulcimer class...so it looks like live dulcimer lessons will have to wait until March. But I'm looking forward to it! Sh3ldon - let us know how she likes the dulcimer. Are there teachers in Orkney, or will she do online lessons? Or figure it out on her own as she goes?

Thanks Frets a lot, I am having fun with it. I'm a bit too far from ht e festival options, but I just signed up for Dulcimer School online. That should at least give me some guidelines. Honestly, just strumming or plinking it based on the tabs I have has been a kick!

There's an online school? Cool!!
I want a dulcimer really bad, love those drone notes and modal songs people play on it. Can someone advice on what brands and models one should look into? Cheers!

Hi Lalou, check out "everything dulcimer" & Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer" forums. Lots of great info and good people willing to help. Like here at UU several builders are on the forums. I have a "Sweet Woods" student model which was a great way to try it out without spending too much. It sounds great and plays well.

I've started the Dulcimer School, but I'm still pretty early in the process. There's a lot of material out there and lots of different approaches to playing, as well.

And DAD is just as contagious as UAS! And just as fun! So I'd say, "Go for it!" And check out David's work at Sweet Woods!

Hi Lalou, check out "everything dulcimer" & Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer" forums. Lots of great info and good people willing to help. Like here at UU several builders are on the forums. I have a "Sweet Woods" student model which was a great way to try it out without spending too much. It sounds great and plays well.

I've started the Dulcimer School, but I'm still pretty early in the process. There's a lot of material out there and lots of different approaches to playing, as well.

And DAD is just as contagious as UAS! And just as fun! So I'd say, "Go for it!" And check out David's work at Sweet Woods!

Muchas gracias! I just found a UK retailer for Sweet Woods dulcimers, dulcimers.co.uk (best url ever haha). I've sent them an email to inquire about the student one. Right now it's competing with a pair of ice-skates as a little winter holidays treat to myself. Ho ho ho! :)

Hello there,

Has anybody ever heard of an electric hammered dulcimer? 'Choirs' mounted on a flat body and each 'choir' separately amplified (with coils, for instance)?

Would that be technically feasible? Just wondering.

tnob

Hello there,

Has anybody ever heard of an electric hammered dulcimer? 'Choirs' mounted on a flat body and each 'choir' separately amplified (with coils, for instance)?

Would that be technically feasible? Just wondering.

tnob
You should post this question on the Everything Dulcimer site/forum. There are lots of folks there, including luthiers and pros. Would probably get a better response there.

I ordered a Sweet Woods student dulcimer and received it a couple of days ago - great fun! The instrument looks and sounds great.

Congrats from another Dulcimer player. And yes DAD is just as contagious as UAS...lol Although I'v been playing ukulele much longer I did go through the Dulcimer phase and boy was I bitten. When and if you get interested in upgrading your instrument, contact me. I've got a few custom made Dulcimers from luthiers like Bonnie Carol an a few other noteable makers. Like I said send me a PM when ready and I'll reply with pics of my other babies.

Congrats from another Dulcimer player. And yes DAD is just as contagious as UAS...lol Although I'v been playing ukulele much longer I did go through the Dulcimer phase and boy was I bitten. When and if you get interested in upgrading your instrument, contact me. I've got a few custom made Dulcimers from luthiers like Bonnie Carol an a few other noteable makers. Like I said send me a PM when ready and I'll reply with pics of my other babies.

Congrats gnordenstam! That's great! I enjoy my dulcimer, but its not getting near the attention my ukes are getting these days. Should get back with it again!

I want to get one, install a pickup, and play "slide" on it, maybe a little Hawaiian style to accompany my uke club.

Top Bottom