PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a more challenging season?

Dan Uke
09-25-2012, 02:49 PM
I remember reading that Austin1 and Fermin were talking about techniques when they host a season.

I was wondering what are some of the more unique and challenging ideas? I thought of one but would be impossible to do is a Busking Challenge.

A more realistic challenge would require harmonics to be played in the song or flamenco strumming.

What are some other ideas for a season?

Hippie Dribble
09-25-2012, 03:03 PM
ha ha Daniel...I'll tell ya in a couple of weeks... :p

uke4ia
09-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Personally, I have little interest in a season that requires me to play a genre that I don't listen to. I would almost definitely skip a season that was based on using a particular technique. The seasons I enjoy are ones that give me an excuse to learn how to play a song I like but would have otherwise never gotten around to, and ones that have more of an open mike feel than a competition.

One idea I considered but passed on was a season where everyone had to make up parody lyrics for a song, a la Allan Sherman or Weird Al Yankovic. I didn't know if this would be too hard for a lot of the Seasonistas.

fitncrafty
09-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Personally, I have little interest in a season that requires me to play a genre that I don't listen to. I would almost definitely skip a season that was based on using a particular technique. The seasons I enjoy are ones that give me an excuse to learn how to play a song I like but would have otherwise never gotten around to, and ones that have more of an open mike feel than a competition.

One idea I considered but passed on was a season where everyone had to make up parody lyrics for a song, a la Allan Sherman or Weird Al Yankovic. I didn't know if this would be too hard for a lot of the Seasonistas.

I agree with a lot of what you have said. I am so shy that very few people have seen my videos. I have had others encourage me to jump in that it is not to competitive and that all levels are welcome. I have been trying to get up the courage.. but haven't yet..
I laugh at the idea of paraody lyrics because my kids joke that I should have been Mrs Weird Al. I love making up paraody lyrics its so much fun!
No matter what I have so enjoyed the seaons lately and will continue to watcht the videos.. maybe even make one myself.. The thing I enjoy most is the fun of the spirit of making music with the ukelele..

Dan Uke
09-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Maybe the challenge should be a song that you've never played before!

I'm amazed at people's memorization skills or is it that they had a song that fit the theme?

chrimess
09-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Hi there,
Most every week I pick up a song I have never played on the uke- that is really the beauty of the seasons-encourage yourself to play something new.

I'm amazed at people's memorization skills or is it that they had a song that fit the theme?

bonesigh
09-25-2012, 04:17 PM
I think it's a great idea to have a more challenging contest from time to time. I've been following the contest since the beginning (which is the only one I entered so far). I keep meaning to host a week but never seem to find the time. I even wrote a song for the garden challenge but never put a tune to it and never got it posted.

How about claw hammer uke or the challenge of changing the tuning on your uke or, or, hey I got it! CHOPSTICKS!

uke4ia
09-25-2012, 05:09 PM
I think it's a great idea to have a more challenging contest from time to time. I've been following the contest since the beginning (which is the only one I entered so far). I keep meaning to host a week but never seem to find the time. I even wrote a song for the garden challenge but never put a tune to it and never got it posted.

Hey there! I was thinking about you when I did a song for Guilty Pleasures week with my daughter singing along using a Pets.com puppet.

Freeda
09-25-2012, 05:15 PM
I think that people who are posting their first seasons video should get extra points to encourage people to join in!

I would be all for learning some new song, but new strum patterns take me ages to learn so that would be difficult to accomplish in a week.

uke4ia
09-25-2012, 05:18 PM

This week is one of the rare times I already had a song for the theme. I've practiced "Question" in the past, and I tried unsuccessfully to do a video for it back in July. Usually I'm looking through my big iTunes library to give me ideas, and then looking up chords on the Ultimate Guitar Tab Archive site. This site lets you raise or lower the key to let you find a key you can sing in. Then I copy the thing into Word, make the font as big as I can, and print it out. I memorized the songs for Garden Week, but a lot of times I have the page of lyrics and chords on a music stand just out of the camera shot.

TCK
09-25-2012, 05:40 PM
The seasons are an amusing beast...let me break down how it goes in my house. Saturday, check the theme and scour music library for a tune that will fit. Play it through a few times, then decide it is ready. In most cases this is less than an hour of playing because it has to be-I only have a week to do it. I agree with uke4ia, I have sat out seasons that do not have anything to do with what I would ever listen to...but back to your original question. A technique? Well that takes hourse to perfect, and while it is fun to do so and it pushes us, that is not really the spirit here. Shoot...I am highly opposed to the multi tracks as well (because that is an art not learned quickly).
To me, the seasons are "here's your theme, run what you brung". Yeah...I half hour of practice ain't never gonna see my name in the winners circle, but I have heard a lot do cool songs in a lot of cool styles, pushed myself pretty far out of my comfort zone, and made a few friends on the way. There is a voice in my head telling me to tell you to keep it simple, as it will ultimately be more fun for the rest of us

erivel
09-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Pretty much every song I've done for the seasons is one I've never played before. How about everyone come up with an original tune? :)

myrnaukelele
09-25-2012, 06:59 PM

I love your idea ue4ia! It would be an interesting challenge to write different lyrics to our favorite tunes. Granted we're not all poets but the Seasonistas are all creative types and nobody's expecting perfection. We're all in this to have fun. And to better our ukulele playing skills and musicianship. And writing a song would definitely broaden all our horizons.

Dan Uke
09-25-2012, 07:05 PM
I love your idea ue4ia! It would be an interesting challenge to write different lyrics to our favorite tunes. Granted we're not all poets but the Seasonistas are all creative types and nobody's expecting perfection. We're all in this to have fun. And to better our ukulele playing skills and musicianship. And writing a song would definitely broaden all our horizons.

Take it a step further and the host picks only one song!!

Hippie Dribble
09-25-2012, 07:18 PM
The seasons are an amusing beast...let me break down how it goes in my house. Saturday, check the theme and scour music library for a tune that will fit. Play it through a few times, then decide it is ready. In most cases this is less than an hour of playing because it has to be-I only have a week to do it. I agree with uke4ia, I have sat out seasons that do not have anything to do with what I would ever listen to...but back to your original question. A technique? Well that takes hourse to perfect, and while it is fun to do so and it pushes us, that is not really the spirit here. Shoot...I am highly opposed to the multi tracks as well (because that is an art not learned quickly).
To me, the seasons are "here's your theme, run what you brung". Yeah...I half hour of practice ain't never gonna see my name in the winners circle, but I have heard a lot do cool songs in a lot of cool styles, pushed myself pretty far out of my comfort zone, and made a few friends on the way. There is a voice in my head telling me to tell you to keep it simple, as it will ultimately be more fun for the rest of us

:agree: brothers and sisters can I get me a witness?

myrnaukelele
09-25-2012, 07:28 PM

Hi there,
Most every week I pick up a song I have never played on the uke- that is really the beauty of the seasons-encourage yourself to play something new.

I'm with chrimess and everyone else who commented that they learn a new song just about every week. I'd never even heard of Zac Brown and The Wind before Billboard week. Just like TCK, I find out the week's theme and then am off and running trying to find a song that fits it. Sometimes I'm lucky (like French week or Classic Country week) and I already know a song that will work. But most of the time I'm finding and learning songs I don't know and that I have never before played on the uke. I've gotten really good at transposing songs since they never seem to be in my singing key. Or maybe I'll retune my soprano or pick up the baritone. With only a week to learn it, film it and post it I find myself getting creative (and practicing more). Like chrimess said, "that is really the beauty of the seasons".

myrnaukelele
09-25-2012, 07:36 PM
How about everyone come up with an original tune? :)

Take it a step further and the host picks only one song!!
I like both these ideas. Writing an original tune would be a real challenge. The One Song idea has been bandied about before but so far no one's actually used it as their theme.

29moons
09-25-2012, 07:48 PM
I agree with some in that I sit out weeks that I don't really respond to the theme immediately. 90% of the time I am very excited to find, learn and record a new song but some of the themes never grab my fancy and I stay out for that week, oh well. Now, of course stepping out of your comfort zone is part of the challenge and makes us all grow as uke players. But, correct me if I'm wrong, another part of the original idea of the Six Seasons, was that we only had to perform in four of the six weeks to qualify. So, this meant we could miss a week or two because of work, life or just not having a song idea for that week. But, things are meant to grow, evolve, change ya know. I will be a contributor to the Seasons until the end, I love it.

As for strumming patterns or certain styles those are fine. We have had specifically "French", "Flamenco", "Duet" and "Other" themes that have not fit everyone. Hell! We can't get every one in our wheelhouse every time. I sometimes actually welcome a break every few weeks if the theme doesn't fit.

With that said, I like the idea of everyone playing their own version of the same song and I have also written three songs in the last few weeks so I can do the original song theme too. That takes care of two weeks so we just need 50 more.

Thanks Seasonistas

thesillydave
09-25-2012, 09:35 PM
just my 2 cents...the way the season's contests have evolved is very inclusive to most all players on all levels...
i don't mind a harder challenge, but i think it could/should be a different contest..
i started entering these contests when mim had the remix contest..that was a tough challenge, but fun!
it brought out so many wild, clever, and funny versions of songs...but we had 7 weeks to get as many entries in as possible...
to ask somebody to write a song, or a parody in a week , i think is asking alot..to learn a song at times, is all that one could handle...
no reason we can't have an off-shoot of the seasons challenge that might last a little longer that would really test the creativeness of all who sign up.
anyhow, i'm game for most all challenges...wish i could just figure out how to multi track...ha!

Wongo
09-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Pretty much every song I've done for the seasons is one I've never played before. How about everyone come up with an original tune? :)
Now this would be fun. Also noobs like me could make the song as easy to strum as we like hehe

23skidoo
09-26-2012, 03:43 AM
I'm all in favor of keeping it simple, as well. I like the broad themes, like 'dreams' or 'rain', where everyone can find something to do. Even this week - the British Invasion - is a deep enough well that almost anyone who drops their bucket in is going to pull up something they can drink.

I think some of us have the advantage of having played other instruments (or the ukulele) for several years and have the experience of knowing lots of tunes they can easily translate to ukulele or the wherewithal to come up with something easily..... some weeks I end up arranging a song I've known on guitar, but I really enjoy learning a new tune and coming up with a good arrangement - that's my personal challenge each week, trying to force myself to do a new tune and not one I've known for years.... and, unlike some folks, I love the weeks that don't fall inside my personal preferences or style choices.... like Latin week, where I really had to push myself to learn a tune in a new style and try to learn a song in a different language - it was very satisfying.

As far as the multitracking..... I love to do it, but I have the advantage, again, of having done it for awhile now and being able to do it quickly. In fact, after the first few weeks, I fell out of the Seasons because I wasn't really vibing on just sitting down in front of the camera and playing. I've really come to appreciate this aspect of the Seasons, though - it's really wonderful practice trying to get a complex arrangement up to snuff for a single take recording. I also appreciate that the no multritracking rule is the true spirit of the Seasons - it levels the playing field and allows everyone a chance to strut their stuff to the best of their abilities. That being said, it's impossible for me to resist the temptation when the host of a given week allows multitracking - I've got a couple of tunes in mind for this week, in fact, if I can find time to record them.... I think the occasional multitrack week is fine (says the compulsive multitracker) but hopefully future hosts will spread these weeks few and far between to maintain the democratizing spirit of the Seasons....

All that to say - keep the themes simple and broadly appealing. We get more responses when we do this and it allows people to push themselves as much as they're able. I'm currently doing the stay-at-home dad thing, so I have a lot more time than folks who work a steady job - I can't imagine doing what I'm currently able to do if I added 40 hours a week outside the house, on top of being a dad, soccer coach, etc..... I like the inclusiveness of most themes and don't think we should do anything to inhibit the folks who don't have the time or skill level to take it up a notch.

GinnyT11
09-26-2012, 03:53 AM
I don't want to copy all of Skidoo's post above, but I agree with it.

I like simple themes with broad interest.
And I prefer no multitracking for the contests, because it keeps us to just playing the uke. The simplicity for all entries also makes recreation-league players (like me) more likely to contribute.

(Those who can do multitracking should definitely be noticed and admired by others---anyone may submit a multitracked song to the Videos section of the forum at any time.)

23skidoo
09-26-2012, 04:13 AM
And I prefer no multitracking for the contests, because it keeps us to basics, playing the uke. (Of course anyone may submit a multitracked song to the Videos section of the forum at any time.)

Ginny - I hear what you're saying, but I like the option of multitracking for the Seasons occasionally.... an example - the tunes I've chosen to record this week are tunes I would never take the time to record if I wasn't motivated by my participation in the Seasons. I've chosen songs I love - but don't already know - from the British Invasion, but these songs are well outside my current area of focused attention and practice. Although it might be somewhat selfish, I'm excited about doing them with full on multitracking, but I would never have even considered putting the effort in to do them if it wasn't for this week's theme. As I said, I think this is a good thing to allow, on occasion. It allows those of us with the inclination - and there are several of us - to participate in the Season's at a level that we enjoy. Maybe I'm being self-centered in my thinking, but I think it's good for all the folks at different skill levels to see this in the Seasons from time to time. Again, not every week, but it's nice to up the ante infrequently.... I appreciate that we have the option to do this any time for the general video forum, but I don't think it's out of place in the Seasons every once in awhile....

GinnyT11
09-26-2012, 04:15 AM
Agreed, Skidoo.

ukuleledaddy
09-26-2012, 04:54 AM
As far as mulititracking is concerned, I think the initial interest in not doing it when the Seasons all started was keep the playing field as even as possible. There have been many contests on UU which last for a month or longer in which there was no ban on multitracking. With the one week format I think that people who have experience with multitracking would certainly have an advantage.

That said, the Seasons began as a contest and I think it's evolved beyond that. I do love that it is still a competition simply because that in itself makes me want to push my myself and get better and yet I still really only do it week in and week out for the love of learning new songs and being involved in this community. And the focus of the Seasons has shifted away from competition and more towards community I think.

So I guess for me, I think leaving it up to the host each works. It gives us a chance to do multitracking and try it out (as I did for the first time in years this week) and not be too intimidated. I wouldn't want multitracking to become a weekly part of the Seasons but every once in a while would be fine. That's my two cents.

chrimess
09-26-2012, 05:34 AM
multitracking is what happens when you introduce replacement refs- just kidding.

Dan Uke
09-26-2012, 07:03 AM
And the focus of the Seasons has shifted away from competition and more towards community I think.

Very well said!! It's just like the theme song for Cheers!!

I saw the first competition and I thought to myself, I have no chance of winning and I'm gonna make a fool of myself so I didn't enter and had no interest in the future seasons...Jump forward to season 19. I was bored so checked out the competition forum and I see that it's a drawing for a prize I can't even remember! No skills needed!! If I'm gonna make a fool of myself, I might as well go for a prize. Jump forward to now, I've entered every week and I am not too concerned about what the theme for that week as it's about the community now.

With great excitement and intrepidation, I open the new season to see what the theme is. I personally love the "WTF" moment but that's me. If it was a theme to only do multitracking, I would complain but at the end of the day, I would go buy a program and do it.

Dan Uke
09-26-2012, 07:54 AM
One thing we should take into consideration is supporting the Host. I also enter to support the person hosting as it would stink if there were very few entries. As much as we might not like a theme, the host thought it was a great idea!!

23skidoo
09-26-2012, 08:51 AM
If it was a theme to only do multitracking, I would complain but at the end of the day, I would go buy a program and do it.

Daniel - check out Audacity.... it's a free download and has a lot of the same features as programs like GarageBand. Once you get the hang of the basic idea, the process isn't too hard - it's just a matter of getting a handle on the technology.

I don't think of the Seasons as a competition at all. Like you, I got pulled back in a couple of months ago because it's just fun - and a great way to focus my practicing and pick up new tunes. It's a blast, but I never have any expectation of winning.....

bonesigh
09-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Cool! Missed seeing that one. I'll look it up for sure!

My own poor puppets are so lonely!

Hey there! I was thinking about you when I did a song for Guilty Pleasures week with my daughter singing along using a Pets.com puppet.

Tootler
09-26-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm all in favour of keeping it simple. The themes allow anyone to participate to the best of their ability and also they allow for different interests to take part. Not just different types of music but also different aspects of playing the ukulele.

The challenge is then what you make of it. Sometimes you have to look beyond your comfort zone musically but also you can set yourself a challenge by taking a song that might be comfortable in terms of the type of music but produces a challenge because you have to learn some new chords which you find difficult, or you might want to try an instrumental track instead of a song. There are lots of possibilities.

During the current week, Satisfaction was something of a challenge for me, not because the chords were particularly difficult in themselves but because the changes in the verses came so quickly that you really had to be on top of moving between the chords, so when I more or less managed to pull it off there was a sense of achievement. Others will find different challenges.

At the end of the day, the themes allow a lot of scope and the challenge is in what you make of the theme both musically and technically.

OldePhart
09-26-2012, 01:56 PM

I seriously considered this but I realized that most of us probably aren't going to write a song we're willing to show the world in under a week, so I figured participation would be pretty dismal. I might be an exception, but that is probably because I've got very low standards for myself and you'll be pretty hard pressed to embarrass me (I think God left that gene out).

John

OldePhart
09-26-2012, 02:02 PM
As far as mulititracking is concerned, I think the initial interest in not doing it when the Seasons all started was keep the playing field as even as possible. There have been many contests on UU which last for a month or longer in which there was no ban on multitracking. With the one week format I think that people who have experience with multitracking would certainly have an advantage.

That said, the Seasons began as a contest and I think it's evolved beyond that. I do love that it is still a competition simply because that in itself makes me want to push my myself and get better and yet I still really only do it week in and week out for the love of learning new songs and being involved in this community. And the focus of the Seasons has shifted away from competition and more towards community I think.

So I guess for me, I think leaving it up to the host each works. It gives us a chance to do multitracking and try it out (as I did for the first time in years this week) and not be too intimidated. I wouldn't want multitracking to become a weekly part of the Seasons but every once in a while would be fine. That's my two cents.

Yeah...I'll plus one this. I'm planning on multi-tracking this week because I have an idea I want to run with. I've done the song I'm planning on doing as a single-track in another week (or maybe it was a different contest entirely) but I really want to do a multi-track version of it because it will come closer to what people usually think of when they think of that song.

So...yeah, some weeks no multi-tracking and others allowing it seems cool. Gives everybody a chance to dabble in things they enjoy without penalizing someone week after week if they don't have the time to put together a multi-track.

John

OldePhart
09-26-2012, 02:08 PM
During the current week, Satisfaction was something of a challenge for me, not because the chords were particularly difficult in themselves but because the changes in the verses came so quickly that you really had to be on top of moving between the chords, so when I more or less managed to pull it off there was a sense of achievement. Others will find different challenges.

I know what you mean, Geoff - my "yeah, I did it" moment came doing that riff in Proud Mary for the Going Acoustic challenge. It's a deceptively simple riff but getting the timing right is a big deal. I probably never would have bothered to learn it if not for it being in a silly contest of one sort or another!

John

peewee
09-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Ahoy Seasonistas,

I like the unpredictable aspect of the seasons - it's all up to the host. I think the goal should be to have a theme that each player can use in his/her own way to do something new.
I like the quick production aspect of one take. If I was better at multi tracking I might want to do that more often, but I like the illusion that it'll just take a few minutes to put down a song. Of course it usually ends up taking a lot longer. I am one of the lower tier players who will likely never get into the top 3, but I participate because I love deadline motivation and I really enjoy sharing my attempts and seeing how everyone else handles the challenges. Frankly a sincere well worded (and positive :D) reaction to a performance can make my day. Sounds a little shallow but there it is. I also enjoy trying to befuddle everyone with songs they may not have heard, but may appreciate.
Further, it's an easy way to get more comfortable performing in front of people.
And I love you guys....snifff

Dan Uke
09-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks Bill...Gonna download Audacity

On a side note, I would love to buy a Seasonista T-shirt if there was such a thing. Any creative people out there? I'm getting my 3rd uke shirt in 2 weeks so I'm in this uke shirt craze. Maybe there should be a contest to create a T-shirt design with a catchy logo!!...I'm spending way too much time thinking about these weekly contests!! Better get back to work

ukuleledaveey
09-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Ahoy Seasonistas,

I like the unpredictable aspect of the seasons - it's all up to the host. I think the goal should be to have a theme that each player can use in his/her own way to do something new.
I like the quick production aspect of one take. If I was better at multi tracking I might want to do that more often, but I like the illusion that it'll just take a few minutes to put down a song. Of course it usually ends up taking a lot longer. I am one of the lower tier players who will likely never get into the top 3, but I participate because I love deadline motivation and I really enjoy sharing my attempts and seeing how everyone else handles the challenges. Frankly a sincere well worded (and positive :D) reaction to a performance can make my day. Sounds a little shallow but there it is. I also enjoy trying to befuddle everyone with songs they may not have heard, but may appreciate.
Further, it's an easy way to get more comfortable performing in front of people.
And I love you guys....snifff
peewee mate i have to disagree with you mate ....... :) you are NO WAY a lower tier player, you have good uke skills a great voice and some good music knowledge, you most certainly are in the upper circle of players mate, yet you are to humble. I am a lower tier player and your miles better than me. totally agree about the positive comments it does mean alot, but hay not pressurizing people to leave comments but it certainly inflates my deflated ego and fragile confidence, i to have no ability of of multi tracking, i am a total technophobe, i have cakewalk sonar software on my laptop i cant even work out how to use it lol.
I to love our ever growing community on this here seasons journey and have had the privilege of getting to know you guys a little on here, your a top fella mate even though i only know you through the window that is the seasons, i really appreciate the online friendships i am making on this site and seasons thread.

peewee
09-26-2012, 05:40 PM
peewee mate i have to disagree with you mate ....... :) you are NO WAY a lower tier player, you have good uke skills a great voice and some good music knowledge, you most certainly are in the upper circle of players mate, yet you are to humble. I am a lower tier player and your miles better than me. totally agree about the positive comments it does mean alot, but hay not pressurizing people to leave comments but it certainly inflates my deflated ego and fragile confidence, i to have no ability of of multi tracking, i am a total technophobe, i have cakewalk sonar software on my laptop i cant even work out how to use it lol.
I to love our ever growing community on this here seasons journey and have had the privilege of getting to know you guys a little on here, your a top fella mate even though i only know you through the window that is the seasons, i really appreciate the online friendships i am making on this site and seasons thread.

Hey Daveey, Check's in the mail!
I honestly don't think our skill levels are all that different, but the point is we're both improving by putting it out there. It's a great motivator. I love seeing your entries, and you really take the time to put down thoughtful comments too. There's something about the interaction over a long period, plus seeing each other on video that makes it feel like we're real chums. Pretty weird, I hope to run into some seasonistas in real life one day, like recognize one at the airport or something. It would be a top celebrity sighting!

Dan Uke
09-26-2012, 06:14 PM
I honestly don't think our skill levels are all that different, but the point is we're both improving by putting it out there. It's a great motivator. I love seeing your entries, and you really take the time to put down thoughtful comments too. There's something about the interaction over a long period, plus seeing each other on video that makes it feel like we're real chums. Pretty weird, I hope to run into some seasonistas in real life one day, like recognize one at the airport or something. It would be a top celebrity sighting!

Same here, why don't you invite me to one of your very exclusive uke groups!!

ukuleledaveey
09-26-2012, 11:15 PM
He he he the check willhave return to sender on it :) thanks pete wow to consider me at the same level as you, i am honestly flattered, i wasnt as we say over here fishing for compliments !!!! honest . But thanks mate that is very kind of you to say so, but you are better than me he he he . YEs i feel the seasons really is helping me not just in playing ability but also i can feel small green shoots of confidence starting to sprout out of low esteem ha ha ha.
I,m keeping my fingers crossed that one day i win mahoosive (big) on the lottery so i can travel the world annoying all the seasonistas lol i would put a seasons festival on and pay for all the lovely people here to attend so guys send me luck to win big on lotto lol.
Seriously though this seasons comp is amazing a band of brothers/sisters and you are all wonderful fab and groovy people, it is because we all are different and diversre which makes it even more interesting ukulele love to you all :) he he he hope that deosnt sound to gay

barefootgypsy
09-27-2012, 02:22 AM
I don't want to copy all of Skidoo's post above, but I agree with it.

I like simple themes with broad interest.
And I prefer no multitracking for the contests, because it keeps us to just playing the uke. The simplicity for all entries also makes recreation-league players (like me) more likely to contribute.

(Those who can do multitracking should definitely be noticed and admired by others---anyone may submit a multitracked song to the Videos section of the forum at any time.)

.I agree totally with Ginny - if you want a lot of contributions, keep it broad and simple. Even that can pose challenges - (find a song you like that fits the theme - that you can play all the chords AND sing in a comfortable key.... actually not THAT easy.... make it harder? That would just rule it out for many of us. It's bad enough when you've eventually found a song and practised it and just as you're about to take the plunge with it someone much more more accomplished throws it in among a handful of bonus tracks....

~dave~~wave~
09-27-2012, 04:12 AM
...keep it broad and simple...

Agreed.

...It's bad enough when you've eventually found a song and practised it and just as you're about to take the plunge with it someone much more more accomplished throws it in among a handful of bonus tracks....

Post it anyway. C'mon, be a fun kid.
It's not as bad as going to a party wearing the same dress as another girl, is it? ;)
Seriously, I enjoy hearing multiple versions of tunes.
Duplicates are bound to happen, I hope it doesn't hinder anybody.

Some of us get so excited we're compelled to do bonus tracks.
Obviously too much time on our hands. :rolleyes:

barefootgypsy
09-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Agreed.

Post it anyway. C'mon, be a fun kid.
It's not as bad as going to a party wearing the same dress as another girl, is it? ;)
Seriously, I enjoy hearing multiple versions of tunes.
Duplicates are bound to happen, I hope it doesn't hinder anybody.

Some of us get so excited we're compelled to do bonus tracks.
Obviously too much time on our hands. :rolleyes:Yeah, I know, it's all great fun but the other week I tackled about five songs before I found one I thought I could get away with, then someone did it so beautifully as a bonus track, I just gave up. I shouldn't, I know. Next time it happens I'll go ahead anyway. It's all a learning curve, in so many ways! And I am at least getting less scared of the webcam... it's a bit easier to face each time! I think the Seasons is absolutely great, and I'm glad that folk are lined up way in advance to host it - you are all STARS!

Barbablanca
09-27-2012, 07:22 AM
The main thing for me is to keep this fun "competition" as broad as possible. Each person who contributes will have different reasons for doing so and the format at the moment is so inclusive that it means there is something for everyone at some time over a month or so. Those weeks when you don't feel you fit into the theme, you can just sit out. Having said all that about keeping it open, there is no reason why every few weeks there can't be a challenge that would only appeal to a minimum number of ukers. ie: a Classical week; a Baroque week; a Flamenco week, or whatever. We simple strummers may well sit those weeks out, but we'll surely enjoy listening to those who take up that challenge. In other words, the occasional theme that excludes can be seen as an attempt to include those whose specialist area might put them off participating normally. So that'd be inclusive too!

We all have different motivations for joining in. In my case, I'm a songwriter, so I like either writing a song inspired by the theme (see Angels & Demons & French Weeks), or else choosing a song from my wide repertory of unsung gems (modest, moi? :rolleyes:) to present to a guaranteed audience who can understand the words (the other weeks I've participated). I can't tell you how much this latter factor means to me. I am so accustomed to singing to audiences here in Catalonia who can appreciate my voice, but don't know if I'm singing a simple "Baby, Baby I love you" song, or a philosophical treatise on post-modernism ;).

Of course, limiting myself to original songs means I occasionally won't fit into a theme. But that's fine. I don't expect to contribute every single week. And, of course, if one week demanded original songs, I'd be at an advantage that week while a "solo" week would give the instrumentalists among us a chance to shine. I think it is really healthy that the seasons have evolved into an umbrella for so many different tendencies. Long may they live and grow! :D

peewee
09-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Same here, why don't you invite me to one of your very exclusive uke groups!!

Come on down! if you're up for the drive..I'll PM you some info.

Dan Uke
09-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I know, it's all great fun but the other week I tackled about five songs before I found one I thought I could get away with, then someone did it so beautifully as a bonus track, I just gave up. I shouldn't, I know. Next time it happens I'll go ahead anyway. It's all a learning curve, in so many ways! And I am at least getting less scared of the webcam... it's a bit easier to face each time! I think the Seasons is absolutely great, and I'm glad that folk are lined up way in advance to host it - you are all STARS!

Curious on what song that was. You can still post a song for past seasons as when a new post comes out, lot of us check it out. However, you can save it as there should be a future theme that will probably allow you to play the song. ;)

Garydavkra
09-28-2012, 07:53 AM
I agree totally with Ginny - if you want a lot of contributions, keep it broad and simple. Even that can pose challenges - (find a song you like that fits the theme - that you can play all the chords AND sing in a comfortable key.... actually not THAT easy.... make it harder? That would just rule it out for many of us. It's bad enough when you've eventually found a song and practised it and just as you're about to take the plunge with it someone much more more accomplished throws it in among a handful of bonus tracks....

Yep, I've run into that. Last week, I had two songs picked out. I had two just in case someone did the first song. As it turned out someone did my first song and then someone else did the second song in a bonus track. Since I hadn't practiced anything else, I didn't post. Sometimes I think it would be better if bonus tracks weren't allowed at all. I also agree with keeping it simple to attract a broad range of skills.

Perhaps another option would be to start a separate contest for skill levels, such as beginner, intermediate, advacnced and professional.

Garydavkra
09-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Another thought is that all the themes for the weeks ahead be posted. The reason for this is that those of us that are beginners can have ample time to prepare. I'm not sure why the list is kept secret until the last moment. I usually, look at the theme on Saturday and then start looking for a song. If I'm lucky, I'll find one and start practicing right away. But, I don't have a lot of time during the week to practice so, I usually end up posting towards the end of the week or not at all. So, how about listing the themes for the rest of the year for those of us the need extra time to prepare? Just a thought.:D

Dan Uke
09-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Perhaps another option would be to start a separate contest for skill levels, such as beginner, intermediate, advacnced and professional.

I'm gonna enter professional cuz no one is a pro or too modest so it's good to be the sole entrant! Knowing my bad luck, Jake will decide to enter that one week!! LOL

barefootgypsy
09-29-2012, 01:05 AM
Another thought is that all the themes for the weeks ahead be posted. The reason for this is that those of us that are beginners can have ample time to prepare. I'm not sure why the list is kept secret until the last moment. I usually, look at the theme on Saturday and then start looking for a song. If I'm lucky, I'll find one and start practicing right away. But, I don't have a lot of time during the week to practice so, I usually end up posting towards the end of the week or not at all. So, how about listing the themes for the rest of the year for those of us the need extra time to prepare? Just a thought.:DLike you, I don't have a lot of time and by the time I've found something suitable and practised it a bit and am ready to video, it's towards the end of the week - but I love it that the new theme is only announced as the previous one is ending. It's exciting! The Seasons would lose that excitement if themes were published ahead - and the focus for the current theme would be lost. I do think the thread gets a bit unwealdy - there are currently nearly 500 posts for Season 32 and it's hard to find your way around it. Perhaps it would be an idea for bonus tracks to be on a separate thread? I do think that would work.

barefootgypsy
09-29-2012, 01:06 AM
Curious on what song that was. ;)If I tell you that - I will have to kill you..... ;D

Garydavkra
09-29-2012, 06:26 AM
! The Seasons would lose that excitement if themes were published ahead - and the focus for the current theme would be lost.

That's a good point and I agree. I guess, I'm thinking more of the beginners that are standing on the side line watching. It can be rather intimidating to watch others that are so much better. Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least because, even the pro's had to start at the beginning. However, I have noticed that some people have expressed a reluctance to participate because, they don't think they are good enough. Which brings me back to the other suggestion of having categories based on skill level. That's if this is really a true competition.

The feeling I get is that it really isn't which, in my opinion, is a good thing. Everyone is encouraged to participate no matter what level they are.

Anyway, the original post is about making it more challenging so, there seems to be people that are looking for more. Maybe it will transform or break off into another competition for those that want more challenge?

Jazzbanjorex
09-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Well here's an idea I had some time ago. Pick one easy song everybody knows or could learn easily. State the tempo and key it has to be played in then after all the entries are done we could splice and overdub a grand collaboration of a song. That would be for someone with good video editing skills. For the contest I suppose you could pick the best versions of that song. Well it's just a thought.

Dan Uke
09-29-2012, 12:33 PM
This is not every week and at the end of the day, host decides! I dont think of these weeks as contests but challenges. Some more enjoyable than others. It would be horrible if every week was tough :p

chrimess
09-29-2012, 02:15 PM
What is your ukulele handicap?

That's a good point and I agree. I guess, I'm thinking more of the beginners that are standing on the side line watching. It can be rather intimidating to watch others that are so much better. Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least because, even the pro's had to start at the beginning. However, I have noticed that some people have expressed a reluctance to participate because, they don't think they are good enough. Which brings me back to the other suggestion of having categories based on skill level. That's if this is really a true competition.

The feeling I get is that it really isn't which, in my opinion, is a good thing. Everyone is encouraged to participate no matter what level they are.

Anyway, the original post is about making it more challenging so, there seems to be people that are looking for more. Maybe it will transform or break off into another competition for those that want more challenge?

thesillydave
09-29-2012, 02:39 PM

mine is about 17

uke4ia
09-29-2012, 02:56 PM
mine is stubby fingers

J-Peg
09-29-2012, 04:27 PM
One of the things I like about the seasons (besides the community and camaraderie) is the variety of the challenges. Sometimes it's one-takes only, sometimes we can multi-track. Sometimes the theme is based on the subject of the lyrics, sometimes the songs have to come from a certain genre and/or period. (I even heard a rumor that season 34 will be about the musical structure of the song.) Sometimes the host picks the winners, sometimes it's random, sometimes we vote. It's all good.
So while I'm in favor of giving the host a wide berth in setting the parameters for that week (after all, they did step up and volunteer,) I'd be against making things too difficult. Inclusivity is one of the great things we got going on here, and so far we've managed to make room for all skill levels. I'd like to keep it that way myself.

Of course, nothing's stopping anybody from running their own contest independent of the seasons. After all, this is the "UU Contests" forum, not the "Seasons of the Ukulele" Forum. We don't have to be the only game in town.

ukuloonie
09-29-2012, 07:03 PM
One of the things I like about the seasons (besides the community and camaraderie) is the variety of the challenges.
So while I'm in favor of giving the host a wide berth in setting the parameters for that week (after all, they did step up and volunteer,) I'd be against making things too difficult. Inclusivity is one of the great things we got going on here, and so far we've managed to make room for all skill levels. I'd like to keep it that way myself.

Of course, nothing's stopping anybody from running their own contest independent of the seasons. After all, this is the "UU Contests" forum, not the "Seasons of the Ukulele" Forum. We don't have to be the only game in town.

Hi Thanks J-Peg for mentioning that I was thinking the very thing with the contests if somebody wants to run one they can.
In the past contests used to very spotty thats what I like about the Seasons Contest The Variety, The challenges although I don't enter each week for a variety
of reasons I still look up the song choices I could make. Rock on seasons but If somebody wants to Make another contest, woo hoo go for it

barefootgypsy
09-30-2012, 06:30 AM
One of the things I like about the seasons (besides the community and camaraderie) is the variety of the challenges. Sometimes it's one-takes only, sometimes we can multi-track. Sometimes the theme is based on the subject of the lyrics, sometimes the songs have to come from a certain genre and/or period. (I even heard a rumor that season 34 will be about the musical structure of the song.) Sometimes the host picks the winners, sometimes it's random, sometimes we vote. It's all good.
I agree with everything here - well said! I look forward to the surprise of seeing what the theme is, and seeing whether I can offer anything - and to me, that's the challenge, and the taking part.

Garydavkra
09-30-2012, 11:41 AM

I'm not sure what you mean?

barefootgypsy
09-30-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure what you mean?I THINK it's a reference to golf, as in a golf handicap, which is a skill level. The lower the number, the higher the skill level....

Garydavkra
10-02-2012, 06:05 PM
I think what I will do from now on is go ahead and finish the video when I have time. If the season if over for that week, I'll finish it and post it on the Video and Links forum. It seems a shame to waste all that time practicing a song only to run out of time at the end of the week. Problem solved!

Also, there won't be any rules so anything goes. Multi-tracking sounds like it might be something I want to try. I really like the entries with multi-tracking. It adds another dimension to the music. I'm also thinking about writing my own songs and a week is just too short for me to accomplish that. So posting on the Video and Links forum would work much better giving me all the time I need to explore that path.

Perhaps the beginners could post on the Video and Links forum and not worry about the week time limit and the pressure? Just a thought. Also, if someone does your song that you put so much time into practicing, post it over there.:D

ukuleledaddy
10-02-2012, 06:27 PM

I totally agree J-peg. I almost dropped out during the original six seasons because I'm not as a player or singer as most of the competitors. But I decided to keep going because everyone was so positive and supportive and thought the original six seasons prize was pretty sweet and I knew I had no chance of winning, I felt included. Since then I feel I've gotten a little better but most of all I've had such a positive experience because of the inclusive spirit of the seasons.

I do enjoy the weekly challenges but I don't always have time every week to really work on a song. There have been many UU contests outside of the seasons which have run for a month or even longer. I love those contests as well because it gives everyone a good long time to put something together. So what J-peg said is right, if anyone wants to run a contest outside the seasons but on the UU forum, go for it. You'll probably get a lot of us coming right along with you.

OldePhart
10-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah...a week can be challenging even to those of us with no shame. :) I had started working up a multi-track for season 32 but all I got "on tape" was the drum track before time ran out. I'd planned on laying down UBASS, uke, melodica and vocal tracks but just ran out of time - and it's a song I know and have recorded before!

I'm working on an instrumental for week 33 now and I think I'm going to make it in time but only Sunday evening will tell for sure. :) I could bang out a quick and easy rhythm and vocal thing for week 33 but there's not much challenge in that...I've decided I really want to improve my pickin' and for that I'm just going to have to suck it up and spend some time in the shed!

John

chrimess
10-03-2012, 01:54 PM
that is exactly right.

I THINK it's a reference to golf, as in a golf handicap, which is a skill level. The lower the number, the higher the skill level....

Garydavkra
10-16-2012, 06:53 AM
that is exactly right.

Okay, I see, that's what confused me.:confused: In order to have a handicap, you have to have a score and I wasn't associating skill level with a score. What I was thinking is that everyone would have to place themselves in whatever skill level they feel comfortable with. But, then the problem with that is that there may be a bunch of sand baggers whether it be intentional or not. Some people may be really good but, their modesty may only let them place themselves in the beginning category. Probably not a good idea. :uhoh:

It seems like the general consensus is to not make it more challenging.

mattydee
10-16-2012, 07:11 AM
I'm working on an instrumental for week 33 now and I think I'm going to make it in time but only Sunday evening will tell for sure. I could bang out a quick and easy rhythm and vocal thing for week 33 but there's not much challenge in that...I've decided I really want to improve my pickin' and for that I'm just going to have to suck it up and spend some time in the shed!

It seems like the general consensus is to not make it more challenging.

As John points out, above, Gary, the challenge is what you make it. If you are a beginner and want to challenge yourself, try going up the neck for some chord inversions. Intermediate players can try interesting arrangements. Advanced players can try making the song "their own". Everyone has something to work on, and a way in which to challenge oneself.

If what you really want is to see people of the same skill level duke it out, you could, as a host, assign seeds to various players and set up a tournament style contest. One of the original seasons was basically structured like this - I think it was Academy Award week. The seeds were not explicit, but players of approximately matched skill were pitted head to head, and then final points were awarded after the head to head match up. But in a way, I feel, personally that the Seasons have evolved beyond this to be a challenge more than a competition.

As for me, I still get pretty competitive... With myself. The week limit is a big challenge for me as I progress because, as a professional actor, I am used to much more time to get something up to scratch. As a musician, I am always trying to push myself to be a better player and to put out something that is as polished as possible, and the week limit, with playing being (sadly) a secondary pursuit, time-wise, can make that difficult. But I am a MUCH better player today than I was when the Seasons started in February. And I owe a large part of that to this weekly push. And in the end, for me, that's what it's about: becoming a better player by sharing music with friends whenever I can.

barefootgypsy
10-16-2012, 08:52 AM
As John points out, above, Gary, the challenge is what you make it. If you are a beginner and want to challenge yourself, try going up the neck for some chord inversions. Intermediate players can try interesting arrangements. Advanced players can try making the song "their own". Everyone has something to work on, and a way in which to challenge oneself.
I agree, and these are great ideas! Thanks for sharing..... :D

Garydavkra
10-16-2012, 04:00 PM

If what you really want is to see people of the same skill level duke it out, you could, as a host, assign seeds to various players and set up a tournament style contest. One of the original seasons was basically structured like this - I think it was Academy Award week. The seeds were not explicit, but players of approximately matched skill were pitted head to head, and then final points were awarded after the head to head match up. But in a way, I feel, personally that the Seasons have evolved beyond this to be a challenge more than a competition.

As for me, I still get pretty competitive... With myself. The week limit is a big challenge for me as I progress because, as a professional actor, I am used to much more time to get something up to scratch. As a musician, I am always trying to push myself to be a better player and to put out something that is as polished as possible, and the week limit, with playing being (sadly) a secondary pursuit, time-wise, can make that difficult. But I am a MUCH better player today than I was when the Seasons started in February. And I owe a large part of that to this weekly push. And in the end, for me, that's what it's about: becoming a better player by sharing music with friends whenever I can.

First of all, I need to apologize mattydee for not making myself very clear. Writing is not my strong point. I'm not saying that the Seasons of the Ukulele needs to be changed. I'm just trying to empathize with some of the individuals that are giving reasons for not participating. Intimidation seems to be the biggest reason. I was just throwing out ideas and thinking out load. I remember someone saying that it would be nice to increase participation but, perhaps what we have now is all we are going to get.

Personally, I don't care that it's a competition and if I don't have something ready in a week, then I don't post. I can always post in the Video and Links forum if I run out of time. That's my solution.

Anyway, the original post was about making it more challenging and I'm not saying I agree with that. From the reaction that it got, I would say that participation would probably drop. Just my opinion.:D

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
10-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Terrific thread. It's great to see so many Seasonistas put some thought into what makes the Seasons so great.

For me, the best Seasons challenge everyone's creativity, leaving each individual Seasonista to decide how much to challenge her or his ability, and the very best Seasons challenge us in some unexpected way.

Over the past few months, I've learned more about music, languages, history, and playing my uke than I ever could have on my own. Viva las Seasonistas.

Dougf
10-20-2012, 07:28 PM
I think I've participated in 16 or 17 seasons, and it has challenged me enormously, perhaps more challenging than anything else in my entire uke experience. I've learned songs I probably never would have learned, I've dusted off old friends, and I know I've stretched myself in ways I would not have anticipated. This week I tackled a song I've been wanting to learn, and this gave the perfect excuse. I found a piano arrangement with guitar chords, and worked it out for uke, it wasn't until Wednesday night that I was finally off book. I got a decent take on Saturday, and then went back and counted how many chord positions I had used. 30. Now I realize why this minute and a half song was such a challenge. And I probably wouldn't have tried it without season 35.