First Gig????

J-dawg5

Reaction score
Hey my fellow UUers. One of my dreams is to play a live gig, even if its somewhere small. I was wondering where was your first gig? how'd you land that gig? and where do i start to get me first show??? :shaka:

First place I played in public was a company picnic.... it was easy, but I about sweat to death!

I've played in bands for a long time, but my first real ukulele solo performance happened at a monthly SF reading series, of all places. Another musician dropped out at the last minute, and I was asked to sub in. I sang someone else's amusing song about Toronto (starting about ten minutes into that video), and people liked it enough that I was invited back at Christmas, at which point I played one of my own songs. Since then, I've started being asked back every month; I do two original songs in between the evening's three readings. They're not traditional gigs per se, but I've written seventeen songs since last November, so they're pretty productive.

I started getting opportunities to play out of luck. I believe more extroverted people tend to check around town for pubs and cafes that do live entertainment and don't mind amateurs turning up out of nowhere. Open mics are good. The Internet is probably your friend. That's all I've got.

Get good enough and be around musicians and bands of the style you like. They will invite you to play a song on stage with them. To stand in on a song. If you are good enough and have the chops. People will want you playing with them.

Just keep jammin and you'll meet enough of the right people. I go to open mics, slow jam, open jam, uke groups... and every one has people who are gigging regularly. Make some friends, accept some well meaning tips and tricks, and you'll find your place.

Open mics are a great way to get your feet wet. It took a while for me to get used to having a microphone in my face and hearing my real voice through the monitor. Also, be very observant of what works for others...and what doesn't. Most of all, I like Freeda's quote from Chuck Deyo, "play till you don't suck no more!"
-joe

I've yet to play uke in public, but I have sung with a caroling group and played guitar at nursing homes before.

It's a wonderful audience that is really appreciative of having any live entertainment, and not at all critical of your performance, they are just happy to have you there. :)

Find one near you, call them up and ask, most will be delighted to have you. It's also a great confidence builder to work with such a receptive crowd.

I've yet to play uke in public, but I have sung with a caroling group and played guitar at nursing homes before.

It's a wonderful audience that is really appreciative of having any live entertainment, and not at all critical of your performance, they are just happy to have you there. :)

Find one near you, call them up and ask, most will be delighted to have you. It's also a great confidence builder to work with such a receptive crowd.

Great advice. I love this. I did it a lot previously and need to do it again. Very rewarding. The best pay their is. Payment for your insides. Feels great.

HEy you guys really sparked some ideas for me!!!!!!! its a great idea, i need to find some open mics for sure, and the nursing home idea is great for me, the one my grandma is at is literally two minutes away by foot! great ideas guys and gals, thanks:) :shaka:

Great suggestions! My first public performance was with co-workers at my employer's holiday party. I've also performed publicly a few times with my ukulele classes. I always thought it would be fun to walk around the city (San Francisco) and ask street musicians if I could sit in with them for a song, just for kicks. I don't feel that I'm good enough for that yet, but I think it would be fun if the musician you ask is up for it.

,... the nursing home idea is great for me, the one my grandma is at is literally two minutes away by foot!
I would really like to play for my mom and her friends at the home where she is (she's in the "memory care" unit for those with alzheimers), but it's 500 miles away. :(

Just do it! Your grandma will love it and so will the other residents. And don't think you have to play only old-timey stuff for them, although they might like that, too. But say someone's 85, well they may have grown up on the Beatles and Stones and be really receptive to 60s/70s and even newer pop stuff. :)

I play and sing regularly at pub sessions and gigs.

My first band was when I was about 18 (circa 1978!). I was bass player and backing vocals. Trouble was that in any song with a demanding bass part I couldn't play and sing at the same time! We sucked.

Our first gig (of about four in total) was at a pub where our singer's dad was a barman.

I started a pub session a few years back. Out of that, other bands have evolved. People come to the pub session and then ask if some of the players will play at parties, charity events, fairs, pubs etc.

Playing nursing homes is a great idea. And how about offering to play at school events?

Top Bottom