Advice on New Bass Amp

Chickenstein

Reaction score
I've had Peavey TKO 65 since I was aged 15. I am now 42. I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade! The thing just wouldn't die. I replaced the speaker in '93 to a Black Widow and it's still going.

I'm looking to get a combo in around the same power range. I'm just not that up on newer amps (obviously). I can usually get a decent sound out of any amp and am more picky about the instrument, especially a bass. I may go back to playing regularly in a band and just don't feel like lugging this 27 year old monstrosity around.

Anyway, any suggestions?

Acoustic makes some nice smaller combos, older GK 400RB combos are decent, some of new light weight amps & cabs are nice too. what's your budget?

Around $500 preferrably, but I could probably be swayed to more, for the right one.

Hi, I have a Hartke "Kickback 10" that I love. 120 watts and one 10" aluminium cone speaker. Unfortunately the 10" version is discontiniued. They still make a 12" and 15" version. They have an XLR output in case you want to go through a P.A. system. I have played some coffee house gigs with mine. Two guitars and vocals through a P.A., but I just put my amp against the wall and kept up with them fine. They are worth a look, anyway.
The 12" is $399 and the 15" is $499 at Sweetwater.

Bill

i used a Gallien Krueger 150MBE for years!!! amazing tone and sound with a chorus sound! played large venues as well like the shoreline with it several times and they just did a direct out with it. also had a GK Half Stack at one point.... got tired of lugging it around and used the GK150MBE more!!!

Around $500 preferrably, but I could probably be swayed to more, for the right one.

there's plenty to choose from in that price range. Ashdown, Ampeg, Fender, GK, Markbass all have combos under $500. any stores near you with a decent selection to try? I really like GK gear but there are many nice amps out there. have fun shopping!

Just bought a Markbass it's light portable and sounds great.

Last edited:
You should check out the Ampeg micro stack. Sounds good, it's light, 100 watts @ 8ohms, 200 watts @4ohms, 2X10 cab, and you can usually find them for around $500 new, $300 used.

I got a Phil Jones Bass Cub - open box - from American Music Supply for approx $525. It's 100 watts and weighs 11 pounds. It's got a lot of flexibility in terms of inputs and outputs. It comes with a carrying case. Bigger speakers (which it can drive externally) would be louder, but I care a lot about portability.

Top Bottom