PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying my Ukulele (pictures inside)

sasugano
09-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Hello,
So I'm just starting to play with a Ukulele that my aunty gave me, but its alittle small and I want to sell it and possibly look for a slightly bigger Ukulele. But I no nothing about it besides the brand. But idk the model or what it's worth. So I was wondering if someone can help me.

By looking up the measurements on the Kamaka site, it seems to fit the Standard HF-1

Here is what it looks like. The sticker on the inside isn't perfect, but other then that, its in very nice shape. I love it but its too small for me, personally.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h460/TakaPhotoartistry/photo5.jpg
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h460/TakaPhotoartistry/photo4.jpg
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h460/TakaPhotoartistry/photo3.jpg

ukeeku
09-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Is this a joke?
I say this only because it seems like we are being punked with this thread.
If not... Welcome to UU. That is a really nice uke worth $600? maybe more. I am not an expert on price.
Check out the market place on here and you can get a feel for how much it would sell for. this a great place to sell a uke. Just make sure to follow the rules for a successful sale.
Beyond that, I would go here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?38-New-Member-Introductions) to introduce yourself and make sure to check out regional get togethers.
Again, Welcome. We are nice, I promise

Newportlocal
09-26-2012, 07:11 AM
They switched to white label in 1969. So it was made after that. Yep, soprano kamaka. Was wondering same thing about being punked with his thread. Anyway hope you play it. It's a nice ukulele.

sasugano
09-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Oh no this isnt a joke. This is a really small Ukulele for me and was hoping to trade it for something a bit bigger in size.

They switched to white label in 1969. So it was made after that. Yep, soprano kamaka. Was wondering same thing about being punked with his thread. Anyway hope you play it. It's a nice ukulele.

Is anything before 1969, "vintage" I see some people selling "vintage kamakas". Is there any way to find out the exact date of when mines was made? or is that kind of information not really important?

OldePhart
09-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Ever seen Iz - he used to play a soprano sometimes...

Seriously, when I first started playing I didn't like the soprano scale - I felt it was really too cramped. After playing longneck sopranos (concert scale on a soprano body) for about 18 months I picked up a soprano one day and noticed that I could play it with no trouble.

That's a very nice uke, plus being gifted by your aunty, you might want to pick up an inexpensive (but not cheap) concert to get started on and then after your fingers get used to the shapes you'll probably find you can play the "real" ukulele :) with no problem.

Just my $0.02.

John

fitncrafty
09-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Iagree with others. That uke is in excellent shape and I wouldnt sell it until you have played longer and have more experience with ukes.Most of us onlly dream of being gifted a uke like that.. hold onto it for a bit. Good Luck

Newportlocal
09-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Sorry I couldn't respond earlier. Couldn't get response window to open.
Here is a link.
http://www.kamakahawaii.com/ukedating.html
Yes, you could sell it as vintage and get a good price. If you are planning on playing ukulele and want a concert or tenor. Then, go buy a concert or tenor separately. If you sell a nice Kamaka from your family you will have remorse and regret later.

000Kanaka000
09-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Kamaka is the oldest Ukelele company around. They make great instruments.
What a great gift from your aunty. i have a Kamaka tenor and they are lovely.
Nice necks and good sound just all around well crafted.

RyanMFT
09-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Look inside the ukulele on the underside of where the neck attaches to the body (called the neck block). There is likely a build date stamp there.

I have the same ukulele and mine was made in 1999. It's a nice ukulele, I don't think it is quite worth $600, more like $450 or so.

Newportlocal
09-26-2012, 12:18 PM
One of my favorite price guides is eBay. In completed listings a soprano white label sold recently for $550. Currently there is a buy it now one for $500. As I said previously I think if you sell it. You will regret it. Nothing wrong with having more than one size and tone in ukuleles. In fact that is part of U.A.S. ukulele acquisition syndrome. If you end up playing ukuleles you will wish you had kept it.

sasugano
09-27-2012, 01:40 AM
Thank you every one for the info and help. I think I'm still going to try sell it and buy another Ukulele. I think my Aunty wont mind. haha she was going to toss it out when she was moving.
Thanks again for all the help

PhilUSAFRet
09-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Thank you every one for the info and help. I think I'm still going to try sell it and buy another Ukulele. I think my Aunty wont mind. haha she was going to toss it out when she was moving.
Thanks again for all the help

Too bad, you got some good advice. It almost landed in the "garbage" hall of fame. I wish I spotted one of those in one of my neighbor's garbage can.

Pundabaya
09-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Man, I wish a Kamaka anything would just fall into my lap like that. Baritone, soprano, guitarlele, soup-ladle-with-strings, whatever.

Your choice though, but I'm betting you won't come across one of those again in a good while.

peewee
09-27-2012, 10:02 AM
I have a couple of 1920s sopranos that are family heirlooms. I didn't like playing them at first, but like OldePharte, I have come around to finding them to be fantastic and very playable instruments.
You might well regret selling it.

tigersister
09-27-2012, 11:54 AM
The koa on that one is very pretty. I'm with the others to hold onto it.

mm stan
09-27-2012, 09:14 PM
It's definetely NOT a vintage....with the squared end fretboard it is built in the 90's sometime...with prices going up and your condition...500 is a fair asking price for you Soprano Kamaka
You know with passed down things in family..maybe you may not understand the importance, you may not like it now, however some of your family in the future may and may thank
you later for keeping it...we all sell stuff that we later we regret....think about that one and look at the whole picture and not your own needs...life lessons my friend...good luck