Strings for a Kamaka Tiki?

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Reaction score
After a 40 hibernation in my mom's basement and a trip to the factory to repair some nasty cracks, my Kamaka Tiki and I are soon to be reunited. I need some help on which strings to put on it (gender yet to be determined!) I have on hand:

Worth Brown Mediums
Ko'olau 'Ahohi
Freemont Black Mediums
Martin M600
Living Water (just got them and never tried them)
Southcoast mediums (just got then and never tried them)
D'Addario T2 (tried but wasn't thrilled)
Aquilla Bionylons (not sure where I picked them up)

(yah I'm a string whore!)

My monkeypod lanikai has Freemont Blacks on it so I think I'm leaning for a more mellow sound for the Tiki.

Any suggestions on which to try first?

Thanks

I have a regular Kamaka concert (unfortunately no Tiki), but I'm pretty happy with Worth CMs on it. I use the Browns on most other ukuleles, and find that they are a bit mellower. As a fellow string whore, I've tried all of the strings you mention, except for the Living Waters and the D' Addarios, just not on the Kamaka. I've also tried some others. So many folks on the forum seem to hate Kamaka strings, and I was put off by them at first. I'm really warming up to them recently and expect at the next string change, I'll put them on my Kamaka. I guess what I'm suggesting is that you try them or the Worth Browns you have.

Aloha Jimmy,

Aquila on my white label tiki.....and she sings...

I have Aquilas on my Kamaka soprano...and she sings, too! I tried to put them on the concert but the bridge slots are too narrow and I didn't want to mess with them, especially since I was happy with the Worths.

I have Aquilas on my Kamaka soprano...and she sings, too! I tried to put them on the concert but the bridge slots are too narrow and I didn't want to mess with them, especially since I was happy with the Worths.

Aloha Bruddah Howie,
You know I got two kamaka tiki concerts, one white and one gold labels and a regular white label concert...out of all of them my white label is the lighest and most responsive...I guess it
all depends on what strings you use on every individual uke....but the aquila sound nice and responsive and sweet on my white label....I had to drop it all the way down to A tuning though
but is is one of my best sounding ukes and probally my nicest sounding kamaka for shua.....Have not tried worths on the tiki, but I did try kamaka strings and I thought to me needed a
little brightess which the Aquila's did.. best strings so far...that I wont even mess with it....even though I know there are southcoast and living water strings...I guess I''ll use them on my
other ukes...you know what they say when it sounds just right string/uke combination....perfect match for this uke and uker...Happy Strummings

Top Bottom