Diminished and 2424-form chord fingering - barre?

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
In general, should chords like this be played as barre chords?

diminished chords and chords that take the 2424 (F#m7) form, such as 3535 (Gm7), etc.

Hello and welcome. For me I wouldn't play them as barres.

I use all four fingers to play both those chords. I do sometimes use a barre to play a diminished chord, depending on context. My fingers aren't capable of playing that minor seventh chord as a barre chord. Heh.

There's no right or wrong way to play a chord, as long as it sounds nice. Usually whatever comes naturally will work best.

I barre them for the most part, especially if I am playing a jazz tune that has a run of barre chords; otherwise, it's quite hard to barre, unbarre for that one chord, then barre again for rest of the run.

I use the fingering method if it's all open chords that I am playing.

Hope that helps.

On anything bigger than a Soprano, I can't actually physically reach to play that chord shape without using a barre. Small stubby fingers are a curse :rolleyes:

I play diminished chords with a barre, it is much faster for me to get into the chord.
Since diminished are many times passing chords the need to grab quickly is important.
I worked on stretching my index (pointer) finger to split the diminished shape into the m7.
From the m7 I can also move my middle finger on the 3rd string back a fret to make the 9 chord.
Makes a great jazzy progression.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and the quick, very informative replies. I'm partial to jazz standards and there are a lot of chord runs where the barre makes the transitions easier. Where there are open chords, I've been fingering, so I'll keep working on both.

Like any other chord, it depends on what chord is before and what chord comes after. Experiment and see which works.

I throw my thumb over the top. I'm not going to win any prizes for style, but this ain't a marshal art, is it?

Since diminished are many times passing chords the need to grab quickly is important.

I always have trouble forming those dim chords quickly enough to keep the rhythm, so that explains it...they do always seem to be momentary passing chords.
Thanks for that insight.

Top Bottom