PDA

View Full Version : Diminished and 2424-form chord fingering - barre?

Reservoir Dog
09-26-2012, 07:40 AM
In general, should chords like this be played as barre chords?

diminished chords and chords that take the 2424 (F#m7) form, such as 3535 (Gm7), etc.

spookefoote
09-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Hello and welcome. For me I wouldn't play them as barres.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
09-26-2012, 08:07 AM
I use all four fingers to play both those chords. I do sometimes use a barre to play a diminished chord, depending on context. My fingers aren't capable of playing that minor seventh chord as a barre chord. Heh.

There's no right or wrong way to play a chord, as long as it sounds nice. Usually whatever comes naturally will work best.

coolkayaker1
09-26-2012, 08:12 AM
I barre them for the most part, especially if I am playing a jazz tune that has a run of barre chords; otherwise, it's quite hard to barre, unbarre for that one chord, then barre again for rest of the run.

I use the fingering method if it's all open chords that I am playing.

Hope that helps.

Barbablanca
09-26-2012, 08:27 AM
On anything bigger than a Soprano, I can't actually physically reach to play that chord shape without using a barre. Small stubby fingers are a curse :rolleyes:

SailingUke
09-26-2012, 08:46 AM
I play diminished chords with a barre, it is much faster for me to get into the chord.
Since diminished are many times passing chords the need to grab quickly is important.
I worked on stretching my index (pointer) finger to split the diminished shape into the m7.
From the m7 I can also move my middle finger on the 3rd string back a fret to make the 9 chord.
Makes a great jazzy progression.

Reservoir Dog
09-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks to everyone for the welcome and the quick, very informative replies. I'm partial to jazz standards and there are a lot of chord runs where the barre makes the transitions easier. Where there are open chords, I've been fingering, so I'll keep working on both.

vanflynn
09-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Like any other chord, it depends on what chord is before and what chord comes after. Experiment and see which works.

Skrik
09-26-2012, 07:58 PM
I throw my thumb over the top. I'm not going to win any prizes for style, but this ain't a marshal art, is it?

spookefoote
09-27-2012, 12:46 AM
I throw my thumb over the top. I'm not going to win any prizes for style, but this ain't a marshal art, is it?

Ah Mr Skrik, you dishonour my family. Hi aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!

ogg
09-27-2012, 07:14 AM
Since diminished are many times passing chords the need to grab quickly is important.

I always have trouble forming those dim chords quickly enough to keep the rhythm, so that explains it...they do always seem to be momentary passing chords.
Thanks for that insight.