Tying on strings:

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Several people requested this general knowledge video. I don't want to be patronising so take it for what it is... how I put strings on my ukulele :eek:

Sorry folks - after a particularly unfriendly and sarcastic attack on another board I have withdrawn this video from youtube. I'll upload it to photobucket in the future and you can access it there.

Last edited:
Sorry folks - after a particularly unfriendly and sarcastic attack on another board I have withdrawn this video from youtube. I'll upload it to photobucket in the future and you can access it there.

Aw, Pete it's the interweb. It's a nasty place full of trolls and losers who have nothing better to do than be a-holes. If you let them get to you, they win. So screw 'em.

Please, reconsider reposting the vid. While it may seem pretty basic to some there are still plenty of folks who fret a bit too much about doing something "wrong" and would benefit from having it available. Changing strings is one of those newbie things that pops up every once in a while. Sure it ain't rocket surgery, but occasionally people need to see that it ain't so they can go ahead and do it for themselves.
I mean, there was a thread recently where somebody was inquiring as to whether when they ordered a uke if it would come set up and "pre-tuned".

And lord knows, I know what I'm supposed to do and half the time changing strings for me involves more than a few
expletives...

And those who know... treat those who don't as lower life forms the world over....
As we welcome them to the fold....

Come to us the unlearned.... the unexperienced....

We will welcome you to the Underground...

In all the Cosmos you will find haven come to Ukulele Underground....

What a shame Pete what a shame......

dang man they really got to ya! its peoples choice to view and comment the vids unfortunately thats a negative you face when posting vids for the world to view. i guess with the removal of the vid thoze a-holes won.... put that ISH BACK UP!

Pete dont worry about it broh. There are people out there who join forums just so they can be jerks. And remember that no matter what you say, even if its a good thing, there are always going to be millions of people who will have a problem with what you say. No matter what.

anyway if they are complaining about how you put a strings video up, tell them to type "strings" on the search forum here. they will find so many questions it will be impossible to look through them all in one sitting. We as uke players need to see that there are videos for every problem that has to do with ukes. because there is always going to be a beginner that has no idea how to change strings.

I say, keep making videos that help the ukulele world! You are doing a good job dude, and I wouldn't want to learn anything about maintaining an ukulele from anyone else.

I hope you restore the video soon, and I also hope it mentions how to tie the strings one at a time so they are nicely tucked into the next one (anyone know what I am on about?). Utterly useless, but that looks so cool.

(The bad part of it all is: it's so easy and saddening to find out where the 'accident' happened... and you even put up a disclaimer. Please do not be discouraged or insecure about posting things people find to be "below level". That's just ignorant talk.)

Last edited:
Yeah. I know what ur talking about UkeNinja. How the ends of the strings are tucked under one another under the saddle. I've always wondered how to do that, but I can't do it right so I just let them stick out.

Yeah Pete. Alot of people need the vid. Forget what other's say. Ur not doing it for the snobs, ur doing it for those who need it.

Yeah. I know what ur talking about UkeNinja. How the ends of the strings are tucked under one another under the saddle. I've always wondered how to do that, but I can't do it right so I just let them stick out.

Yeah Pete. Alot of people need the vid. Forget what other's say. Ur not doing it for the snobs, ur doing it for those who need it.

x2! i just re-strung my uke and cant figure out how to tidy up the strings! dude HELP!

Ah hahahaha

I wasn't paying attention yesterday while putting new strings on one of my sopranos for the first time. It's got a string through the body design and I was concentrating too much on the "how does that work" and trying to catch the strings through the soundhole to knot them and I ended up stringing the whole thing backwards.

Either I'm going to have to redo it or learn to play that one lefty....

You need to put the video back up. It's a good one. Don't let "them" get to you -- it's not worth it. It's a nasty crowd over there. Changing strings when you are a new uke player is kinda scary. Your video is very helpful.

i was just going to post if anyone had a video on this since I cant find a halfway decent one on youtube...Is there anyway you can post it so I can have a good tutorial? I'd appreciate it,

Mahalos.

I think a basic "here's how to string a uke" video would be brilliant!

Do you knot? Do you tie? Why? What about string winding? I'd love to see that kind of stuff.

I've only restrung a uke a couple of times, and I always have to do it one string at a time, so I can refer to the strings that are still on there to know how to do it right. If I were faced with a "blank" uke, I'd probably be lost.

JJ

I think a basic "here's how to string a uke" video would be brilliant!

Do you knot? Do you tie? Why? What about string winding? I'd love to see that kind of stuff.

I've only restrung a uke a couple of times, and I always have to do it one string at a time, so I can refer to the strings that are still on there to know how to do it right. If I were faced with a "blank" uke, I'd probably be lost.

JJ

+1

This would be a great service to the uke community imo.

Top Bottom