New uke day, Woohoo!

hammer40

Reaction score
My new Compass Rose arrived yesterday from Gryphon, It's a style B tenor in all Claro Walnut with a gloss finish. Apparently,Rick dropped it off on a Friday, they posted the pictures on Monday and when I saw it on Tuesday, I snatched it up. I've been keeping on eye out at Gryphon while I saved a few pennies to order one, then I saw this one with the gorgeous Walnut pop up, I just couldn't resist.

It came strung low g, a first for me, and it sounds amazing. A warm but clear and articulate voice, I guess if I had to choose one word to describe this uke, it would be "sultry". I also love the shape of the neck, not sure what he does differently, but it feels fantastic. Just seems to fit in my hand perfectly, and I can move up and down the neck effortlessly.

Here are a few quick pictures, the lighter ones didn't seem to capture the darker chocolate color of the walnut, so I tried again.

CRBACK.jpgCRBACK1.jpgCRFRONT.jpgCRFRONT1.jpgFACEPLATE.jpg

A link to Gryphon pictures, much better than mine.

http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/39573/39573.php?z=w

Last edited:
Dang, that is beautiful! Sultry indeed....

:iwant:

Congratulations on the beautiful new ukulele! I took Rick's build-your-own-ukulele class and not only does he make great ukuleles, he's a really nice guy. I hope to buy one of his ukuleles someday.

Congratulations! Very very nice. I heard one in walnut;it sounded great. Just starting my Compass Rose custom build.

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm probably the only person in existence who hasn't been a big Compass Rose fan, but this one might change my mind. :)

Beautiful ukulele from a stellar builder! I am lucky to have met Rick a few times and not only is he a great builder, but a really quality guy. Enjoy that beautiful ukulele!

Nice one bruddah. Enjoy.

My what a stunning ukulele. Looking forward to hearing it.

Aloha Hamma 40,
Congrats on your new Compass Rose..Rick makes some really nice sounding uke.....can you take a peekcha of the side angle of your neck at the first fret..I wanna see how thick it is..
thank you if you can...mahalo......MM Happy Strummings..

Yeah...now that's my kinda Compass Rose! Very nice looking ukulele and I bet it sounds sweet, too! No sunglasses needed! :)

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm probably the only person in existence who hasn't been a big Compass Rose fan, but this one might change my mind. :)

Kathryn, I'd say go for it. You can always sell it if doesn't please you, but I know that won't be the case once you play one. There is one for sale right now in the market place, great price as well.

Aloha Hamma 40,
Congrats on your new Compass Rose..Rick makes some really nice sounding uke.....can you take a peekcha of the side angle of your neck at the first fret..I wanna see how thick it is..
thank you if you can...mahalo......MM Happy Strummings..

I will post a picture tomorrow for you. I will see if I can get a good view of it for you. I put the link from gryphon in my first post, maybe that will help you out, they have much better pix than I do.

I did compare it to my other 2 ukes and it is indeed thicker, or a deeper "C" shape, if you will. I hear others mention thinner necks and thought I would prefer that as well and did, but now having this one, I much prefer it a bit thicker and shaped this way. I'm still a newb, so I don't know how to explain it other than it just fits and feels perfect in my hand, follows the contour I guess you could say.

Top Bottom