What's your take on 8 string ukes?

Theresaamusic

Reaction score
I really love "different" instruments, for example banjolele, guitalele, sitars, 8 string ukes, etc. I absolutely LOVE the sound of 8 string ukuleles. I kind of want to buy one that's not too expensive but still great sounding, I'm thinking A kala tenor Just something to get started with.

If anyone has an 8 string, is it hard to play? Hard to tune? What are the pros and cons of it? What do you guys think of it?

Also, what might be a good choice? I want something at a low price but still beautiful sounding. Thanks.

I have a wonderful Kamaka 8 string Lili'u tenor that I got at the kamaka factory in 1979. it does take longer to tune, and is difficult to finger pick (actually it is meant to be strummed), however, the sound is so full and rich. it is like having an orchestra in one instrument. It just sounds so full. I do find it a bit more difficult to chord but it is all good.

The Lanikai name is often maligned by uke purists (and rightly so, because 90% of their ukes suck), but I love my O8-E. It's absolutely gorgeous, with a solid spruce top and laminated sides. No, it's not as good as a solid-wood 8-string, but that would run you $500 to $1000, while the Lanikai costs $300. It comes with fairly good electronics, and a non-electronic version costs around $250.

An 8-stringer is hardly my go-to uke, but sometimes I like to sing extra loud, and sometimes I like the clock-like sound of fingerpicking chords on it. It's a lot of fun, and I'd recommend you getting one if you have $300 to throw around.

Attachments

• Lanikai.jpg
    Lanikai.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 25
I bought a Kala KA-8 tenor and really didn't care for it. I loved the idea of an 8-string and just wanted to expirment, but in this case I was disappointed two-fold. First, the Kala, though OK for just over $200 was not up to my standards. There are alot of great tenors out there for around $200, but I think for a decent 8-string you are probably going to need a better quality instrument than it's 4-string counterpart. Second, IMO everything I loved about the uke sound was gone with the 8-string. sure, it was big and cool sounding in it's own way, but it sounded to me much more like a 12-string guitar than a ukulele. If that is what you are looking for, then great. Just turns out I wasn't looking for that. So I scaled down and now play an Oscar Schmidt 5-string tenor. You get a bit of that paired string twang with the octave Gs, but it is alot more subtle and it still sounds 100% uke.

Thanks for the feedback! The reason why I'm so interested in the 8 string is because it's so different, it sounds unique. But I understand what you're saying, thanks.

Not sure if it's in your price range, but I just got a Pono MT-8 solid mahogany 8-string tenor from HMS for $399. It sounds wonderful, great tone, lots of sustain. I like the looks too. It can be a little bit hard on the fretting hand. I may switch it from the stock Koolau Mahanas to lower-tension Aquila strings.

Not sure if it's in your price range, but I just got a Pono MT-8 solid mahogany 8-string tenor from HMS for $399. It sounds wonderful, great tone, lots of sustain. I like the looks too. It can be a little bit hard on the fretting hand. I may switch it from the stock Koolau Mahanas to lower-tension Aquila strings.
I too just got that Pono :)
IMO the Pono strings sounded dead so switched them to Aquila...
...much better sounding now.

The Lanikai name is often maligned by uke purists (and rightly so, because 90% of their ukes suck), but I love my O8-E. It's absolutely gorgeous, with a solid spruce top and laminated sides. No, it's not as good as a solid-wood 8-string, but that would run you $500 to $1000, while the Lanikai costs $300. It comes with fairly good electronics, and a non-electronic version costs around $250.

An 8-stringer is hardly my go-to uke, but sometimes I like to sing extra loud, and sometimes I like the clock-like sound of fingerpicking chords on it. It's a lot of fun, and I'd recommend you getting one if you have $300 to throw around.

I stocked the Kala 8 strings, and they were good, but though they were comprable to the Lanikai (probably made in the same facotry) the wood was not as pretty and the pickups were not as good and their spruce just had a laminate mahogany back and sides rather than the laminate Ovangol, but cost the same.

The point, basically the main and often only thing I order from Lanikai is their 8 strings. They are the best bang for your buck in the 8 string department, sound good, and now they have a better fishman pickup system in it with a built in tuner which I like.

Just got a bunch in (telling you that to make a point, not to promote) and they are in the best shape I have seen then. I still do nut adjustment and a few fret leveling things (I am very particular), and it is still cumbersome to set up, but better than they were.

In general though, check out some youtube videos. They are a bit combersome to get used to strumming at first, but there are some people that once they go 8 string they dont go back. I sell a lot to uke players in bands with guitars so the sound can compete at times. Also one not set up can sometimes be a pain because it takes more pressure to push down 2 strings than one and if you have high nut action it can be a pain. But a good set up makes it a lot easier.

Last edited:
I just posted this video of Liko playing his 8 string Pegasus in the Pegasus thread,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFGUuaPv2TY

8-string `ukuleles are common for hula halaus, It might be because they're naturally louder and all the dancers can hear the music. We recently bought a solid mahogany Pono 8-string with a pickup from Hawaii Music Supply for Liko's hula kumu and it sounded great for the price; nice and full without being too "chime-y".

I want to add, if you don't like changing strings, don't get an 8-string. It seems to take *forever* to change them and for all the strings to stretch out and stay in tune! (Speaking as the official string changer in the household.)

I was so fascinated by the Hawaiian (with subtitles) that I didn't hear the Uke, the first time around (my first love is languages). :D

My very first instrument was a small-bodied twelve string and I learned to love it. Sadly, it expired on a warm day in the back of the car when the bridge came flying off and my repair failed to take (I'd never heard of a Luthier, back then). Never seen or heard one like it since (40 years ago) :(

I have only ever played an 8-string Lanikai (LU-8 their cheapest model) in a shop and was not that impressed. In terms of double stringed instruments, there are just so many out there that sound more individual than that one (Viola Braghuesa; Mandola; Tsouras; Cittern; etc) - unless you are exclusively a Uke player, I'd try some of them first. (I've got MIAS not just UAS :) ).

PS Anyone heard the Ashbury 8 String?

I have a well played Kamaka white label 8 I was thinking of selling to possibly buy another much more expensive uke. I will put it in the marketplace today if I have time. it has lots of honest play wear but plays and sounds beautifuly.

Last edited:
I had a Lanikai 8 string acoustic electric (08-E, I think it was). It came out of the box from a drop shipper with a dead-perfect setup at the nut - this is almost unheard of on Lanikai ukes, frankly. It also sounded awesome plugged in.

Unfortunately, unplugged it was like playing wet dog fur - absolutely no volume or sustain to speak of. It was bad enough that I couldn't bring myself to sell it here in the marketplace so I gave it away to a friend (compared to the junk uke he had it was a step up in spite of its shortcomings). A few weeks ago we happened to be playing some uke at his house and he was marveling at how loud my Mainland mahogany soprano was because it was completely burying the 8-string tenor!

John

Just gave your Lanikai a listen on a couple of your videos Gary and it sounds so much brighter than the LU-8 - which John so accurately described as sounding like wet dog fur ;)

To my untrained eye your instrument actually looks like the Ashbury (see Link above) - maybe they're made by the same manufacturer. What model number is yours Gary?

Just gave your Lanikai a listen on a couple of your videos Gary and it sounds so much brighter than the LU-8 - which John so accurately described as sounding like wet dog fur ;)

To my untrained eye your instrument actually looks like the Ashbury (see Link above) - maybe they're made by the same manufacturer. What model number is yours Gary?

I have the LU-8. Maybe I just lucked out, but as you mentioned, it has a very bright sound.

I kind of like the sound of a 6 string better....much of the chime of a 8 string, lots of tuning options with an 8 string set of strings....Southcoasts of course. A little easier to fingerpick. I picked up one of those Pono tenor 6 string refurbs....awesome for the money.

I have a Lanikai 08-EK. It's fabulous. :) Definitely for strumming more than picking, but a ton of fun.

I have the LU-8.

Weird. The one I tried looked like the one in the picture here - without the electrics and it was very dull sounding. Only the one I tried had a matt finish too, IMS.

Lanikai 8 String.jpg

Strange how to "luck out" means you got lucky....

Last edited:
Top Bottom