Free ukulele lessons at ALL Guitar Centers in October...

Yep, got the email yesterday. I was actually surprised to see that at guitar center. I think it might be fun to see who runs it and who shows up.

Bring your own uke I gather? I just signed up for this weekend. Will see how it goes!

Hmmm, I wonder if the display ukes will be tuned when I show up.

Poked around there not long ago, and all of them were so far off it was not worth picking them up. I don't expect them all to be perfectly tuned all the time, but a little effort would be nice.

thanks for he heads-up ricdoug

Hmmm, I wonder if the display ukes will be tuned when I show up....

Better bring a tuner w/you! That's been my experience as well - we finally got a GC in N. Alabama & sadly, the few ukes they are stocking are all underwhelming & overpriced. AND out of tune.

I happened to be at a local GC about a week ago - couldn't find any ukes at all then finally spotted them hanging behind the mandolins way up the wall above the door to the acoustic guitar room. You'd have to get a ladder to reach any of them but it's just as well because they didn't have any that I would care to play, anyway.

John

Perhaps GC is catching on to the idea that they might sell some if they put a little effort into it. Obviously these lessons are to draw in new customers ...

But I have already vowed that my next uke purchase will be from a particular UU member anyway.

Last edited:
Curiosity got the better of me--I'm signed up for this Saturday in Manchester, CT. Will report back...

I happened to be at a local GC about a week ago - couldn't find any ukes at all then finally spotted them hanging behind the mandolins way up the wall above the door to the acoustic guitar room. You'd have to get a ladder to reach any of them but it's just as well because they didn't have any that I would care to play, anyway.

John

It's similiar at my local GC. There is a display for Luna and Lanikai, but most ukuleles are above a doorway.

Our GC has a surfboard themed stand right by the door to the humidified room. Easily accessible, but nothing really fantastic.

I will go, however, and hand out cards for my uke group. :)

Our GC has a surfboard themed stand right by the door to the humidified room. Easily accessible, but nothing really fantastic.

Good idea & - same "display" at my local GC. What I thought was funny is the display is a Lanakai marketing stand & the GC it was loaded w/non-Lanakai ukes, though they were of the same relative price/quality & all seriously out of tune. They also had the more expensive ukes (new Martins & new Gretsch) over the door in the Acoustic room.

Yeah, ours had one of those lanikai rotating stands in front of the acoustic room, too, but there were only two ukes on it. All the "good stuff" :rolleyes: was up above the door safely out of reach, and sight... LOL

they were of the same relative price/quality & all seriously out of tune.
I've gotten in the habit of occasionally going in to my local store and tuning all the display ukes while I look them over. I figure it might help make a few converts if they try one in the store and it actually sounds good!

After a terrible experience of trying to buy my wife a piano at GC I swore I will never buy anything there. A new one opened near me , you need to bring a ladder to look at the ukuleles. Most stringed instruments I tried were out of tune. Poor selection of ukuleles. I was very disappointed. Maybe with the free uke lessons they will have a better selection of ukes than they had when I last went. I really dont want to bring a ladder with me , but I will go to see if they have more ukes.

It will be funny to see my GC have to do this. Their staff is pretty much anti uke.

Top Bottom