New resonator

Sven

Reaction score
I finally got one done! After my relative success with my number 30, which was my first resonator, I started a batch after Hollesley last year.

bild-715772.JPG

Then it all ground to a halt due to the ordered parts never showing up, and the maker/merchant disappearing from the face of the earth (yes, with my money in his pocket).

So I bought other cones and cover plates. And soldiered on.

bild%u00252B1-755115.JPG

bild%u00252B2-758044.JPG

And on and on it went.

bild-773169.JPG

I am not overly excited by building these, since so much of the result is dependent on factors beyond my control. If you get a shitty cone, it'll sound like it. And the cover plates without removable buckles across the bridge, they mean you have to remove 12 screws that go into very thin wood, thin sidewise since the screws are so close to the edge of the well.

But the finish turned out great, and I managed to make a very tension-filled demo vid yesterday with the kids. Hopefully no one calls the police. Johan was completely stressed out, and Li didn't dare to goof around too much because she is so supportive of him.

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV3t9J6kDK0 (for iPhone / iPad users)

"Never work with kids and animals!" - as they say in Hollywood :eek:

I'd love to hear that instrument played with a slide. I think resonators only bring out their full sound with the old hound-dog wail a slide brings to the instrument.

Thanks. Now if I just could get the kids to sand and French polish the ukes, I would be very happy.

Top Bottom