Blemished Spruce Top U-Bass

maikii

Reaction score
Some vendors have the spruce top u-bass (fretted) for sale "blemished" at about $315, considerably less than the usual $450.

Before one buys something like that though, one wants to know more about the blemish, perhaps see a photo of it, etc,

I called a couple of the vendors that have those, and they both said there was no way they could see those ones to see what the blemish is, and no way to speak to someone in the warehouse.

Of course they say that they have a 30 day return policy, etc. However, it would really be a hassle to ship back an instrument like that, as well as paying the return shipping.

I assume though, that since a few vendors have these now at a similar price, that perhaps a whole batch of them from Kala have the same imperfection in looks?

Therefore, anyone here who has bought or seen one of the blemished spruce top u-basses. (Of course, there is no guarantee that if I bought one, the blemish would be the same as yours, yet it still might give me some idea.)

Thank you.

I would be more concerned about the intonation and if the pickup is setup right. If it was from places like HMS, Mims etc. I would have little hesitation as I know they check out the ukes for setup before they leave the shop.

I just bought an Acacia UBass from HMS. Andrew picked one out had it checked out then checked himself. He didn't find it up to his standards so he picked out another one, set it up and sent it off. Who cares about a blemish or two; big question is how does it play.

Top Bottom