Need help with strumming!

sarahwilliamsxoxo

Reaction score
I just got my ukulele about 4 days ago and I've learnt how to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Happy Birthday, Billionaire (Bruno mars), mistletoe (Justin Bieber) and Price tag (Jessie j) HOWEVER I've been playing with a felt pick this whole time! I really think I should start using my hands but the sound just doesn't sound right to me. I also cut my nails (being a guitar player also) not knowing that I needed them to strum my uke! I'm not sure whether to use my whole hand or just my index finger and my index keeps getting caught in between the strings. How do I fix this? Please help, I'm such a beginner -.-

Last edited:
You could try other fingers - I find that the index is too stiff, and from the start I've just naturally used my ring finger as my main strumming finger.

My strumming was godawful when I started and actually, for a long time, it was the worst part of my playing. I got chord positions down easy and could make smooth chord changes but my strumming stunk to high heaven. At first, for some reason, the only thing that felt natural was using my thumb (which now btw feels weird if I do it). I didn't feel like I had much control over my index finger and like you, it seem to get caught up in the strings. I tried a felt pick but that really didn't seem to be the way to go (besides, it would fly out of my hand). What worked for me is to use my index finger but support it with the thumb, like you are holding an imaginary pick. Before you know it, it becomes natural and you don't need the support but in the beginning, it help. Hope it works for you or that you find your own "right" way.

Top Bottom