Pono spalted mango's

v30

Reaction score
Does pono still make these? I don't see them listed on their website but I see a canadian dealer (guitar junky) has one listed. Are they any good....how do they compare to a mahogany pono?

Pono doesn't make mango ukes anymore. I used to have a baritone mango, and a special edition mango sprucetop tenor. They were gorgeous, but in my opinion, they weren't the best sounding ukes that Pono had/has to offer. In 2011, Pono switched their design towards a lighter weight uke. I've tried a few of their newer ones and I think the design is vastly superior to the old one. Their older ukes (again, just my opinion) tended to be heavy, dull, and quiet. Their newer ones just sing. So I would definitely opt for a newer mahog over one of the old mango ones, even though the mango sure was gorgeous!

Pono doesn't make mango ukes anymore. I used to have a baritone mango, and a special edition mango sprucetop tenor. They were gorgeous, but in my opinion, they weren't the best sounding ukes that Pono had/has to offer. In 2011, Pono switched their design towards a lighter weight uke. I've tried a few of their newer ones and I think the design is vastly superior to the old one. Their older ukes (again, just my opinion) tended to be heavy, dull, and quiet. Their newer ones just sing. So I would definitely opt for a newer mahog over one of the old mango ones, even though the mango sure was gorgeous!

I agree with Natalie. I had a gloss spalted mango soprano in 2009 that was very quiet, heavy, but absolutely gorgeous. Sold it because it wasn't the best player. Pono moved production I think twice since then. The new Pono ukes are much better IMO, light, good volume, excellent intonation.

I was wondering if Pono had a design change...
...I used to read a lot of complaints that they were overbuilt.

efiscella, isn't that one maple, not mango?

Top Bottom