Pink Koa!

this post is worthless without pictures!!

this post is worthless without pictures!!

Here's a picture...is this what Pete got ??
pinkkoa.jpg

good one timb. I'm sick today and feeling cranky, and you made me laugh, the best medicine

I'm debating in my mind whether to or not... I also have a small stack of it cut for concerts but this stuff is 9" wide and will do for those much despised one piece tops that I like so much.... Anyways it won't be of asny interest to anyone here because it has no figure - it's as plain as can be and we all know what that means don't we? Ahhhh, let me sleep on it.

If you need some binding to go with that pink koa... I think I remember Rick Turner mentioning something about some he got at NAMM. Maybe Pepto-Bismol would like to commission a promotional uke.

I had some koa turn pink on me during the side bending process. I think it was a combination of the SuperSoft and overheating it somewhat. Sanded it off and it was fine.

Back in the day, as a sawyer, I was leery when I saw pink color in the Koa as it was often an indicator of hit and miss dry rot which you couldn't see until the wood sat for awhile after milling. I'm sure all pink Koa isn't like that Pete but just wanted to relay my experience.

The stuff I am refering to is a particular stand of koa that Winkler Snr was logging in the 90's. It was all sound, very light in weight and color with good figure when I could afford fpc. What happened to those gradings eh? I rarely had a board of the now popular but heavier golden koa. I made my best sopranos and Weissenborns from that stuff but I understand from Jorma that plantation/stand was logged out years ago. I used to phone Renata and get the latest kiln schedule and ask for a selection of pfc shorts to be shipped to the UK. Price was about $28 - $35 a bd ft and I sometimes had long lengths shipped. Wouldn't happen today because I have to buy blind off eBay after getting ripped off too many times by so called wood merchants selling instrument wood in Hawaii - not you Steve... one infamous purchase being a $100 bdft 'instrument grade' board costing $600 that had figure only 3" of its 9" width! and the $2500 purchase that was worth only $500 when I unpacked it in the UK after having it sawn for me in California! Although I pay through the nose on eBay I generally know what I am getting :) It has to be said, I am not a novice in the koa game and have had to learn the hard way what works and what doesn't, what to steer clear of and what to go into debt for. And just before you get antsy about my criticism of some Hawaiian wood merchants I have dealt with, I have also been 'had' here in the UK by British wood merchants. Dishonesty is not confined to one culture or one people and the saying 'caveat emptor' applies world wide.

I'm very curious as to what it looks like as well. Is it really pink?

Pink to light brown and I am so busy at present that setting up a good shot is not a priority. I dislike Tasmanian Blackwood - it is no substitute for koa in the looks or sound department though I expect plenty of brickbats for saying this from down under.

Top Bottom