This one is from me, on behalf of Joeybug - She CAN sing!

Plainsong

Reaction score
We all know Joey bravely posts Daily Ukulele videos, and tackles that singing-and-playing thing with more bravery than I, or many of us are willing to do in a video...

Although when you do that, it's tough to really show what you're capable of. The people who find singing and playing easy, take for granted that you should just nail it. The ones that have never even tried are the toughest critics though, as per usual with youtube trolls.

So for those of you who didn't hear It Hurts to be Me, here's what Joey can do when armed with a good words, good music, a good mic, and a great voice!

We took this song here:

And turned it into this. I'm the one who did the mixing and there's been no EQ, compression, or autotune trickery. Just a decent mic and cheap preamp is all.

http://soundcloud.com/rockingdodars/thank-you-1

We weren't going for the perfect crooner or pop diva here. To us, someone with a natural controlled speaking, imperfect way of singing is what suits ....well it's what suits most bands in our opinion.

I just get kinda fed up with the youtube trolls who have never put out their own video, saying she sucks just because she tackles songs head-on. Well, that's her right to do and it's braver than many of us, certainly me included there.

But don't let Joey ever fool you again... she CAN sing. If there's a song you're working on, but can't really nail it, consider doing the vocal and instrument tracks separately. It does wonders.

Really well done. The work totally takes the song to a new level. Congrats!

I've never understood the cruelty of YouTube viewers. Great, it's anonymous. You can make someone feel rubbish without fear of reprisal. Good for you. You have just made the world a darker place.

People like Joeybug are the light.

Superb work you guys. Heartfelt lyric, a pretty vocal and a really nice arrangement.

That made me very happy. Congratulations to all of you for putting together such a nice piece of music!

Considering she has asthma, right, it is even more impressive. We love JB!

Aloha Joey..
Woo hoo great song and great job girl...hope sounds nice and so do you....thank you and thank you Kimmy...happy strummings...You go Girls..

I wish I could hear it better, my volume is all the way up and I can hardly hear it, but yay Joey! Just remember, a mean comment is a reflecton on the person making it, not on the intended recipient. Stick with us.

Brightened up my morning no end, thanks for posting that, keep it up joeybug, you even got the cats purring here :)

Not only does she have asthma, but a vocal chord disorder that makes them constrict at a moment's notice. Yet, for all that, she's got that ballsy alto going on. I live in head voice, so I have no idea how you chest voice girls do it. I did the uke and synth, Anders did the bass and drums, and Joey did the words and most of the music. I only added the synth and changed a chord.

Now that she's got the good mic, and we've learned so much about recording, she really wants to do It Hurts to be Me again. We don't have plans to post the buildup of every song, but since I had to show the chord change worked from the very start, it seems to be a neat idea for this one. :)

Now the cool kids will tell you that you need certain gear in order to have your recorded songs taken seriously. It just isn't true. This was done with an ipad, things that plug instruments into an ipad, like an apogee jam and th USB kit for the synth (Joey had Audacity and an at2020 xlr). As long as you have something such that people can hear you, it's the music that matters.

Last edited:
Ha, bet you never thought you were going to be a celebrity joeybug ;) I hope you remember us when you are rich and famous, perhaps I'd better get you to autograph one of my dolphins now so my grandchildren can cash in on it one day when they can ebay it for a couple of million.

That was seriously good. The original you tube seemed fine to me, but the additions gave it that extra something.

Well done Joey!

Hey Joey - that is excellent. Not many people would have your courage. Very well done.

Bug lady does it again! Ten men!

Thanks for the vid JB. It got me missing those Daily Ukes. Get better because the next version of the DU song book is coming out soon!

Top Bottom