What Do You Mean They Don't Make SuperConcert Cases?!?!

experimentjon

Reaction score
DSC_0077.jpg

Kanilea K1 Tenor, KoAloha SuperConcert, Kamaka Soprano

Well, today, I purchased a KoAloha SuperConcert exactly one year out of the factory. It was used, but very well taken care of, and I got it for a rather nice price. It came with the free factory-tenor case, but the previous owner had broken the strap that holds the neck in place. And I felt that especially without the strap, the uke moved around way too much in the case...it would move not only up and down, but also left and right, since it's concert body didn't quite fill the tenor case.

So today, I went to Easy Music Center to get a new concert case, hoping that it would fit my superconcert. But after trying every case they had, about 5 varieties, none of them fit, and the salesperson told me that nobody made superconcert cases. The closest fitting one was an $89 tweed tenor case. And I was not about to drop that much on a case that was only marginally better than the one I had.

So I went home, and I MacGyver a solution. I ended up having a somewhat-decent result, and saved myself $90 dollars (which is a lot of money for a college student.) All it took was an old science-fair poster board, a box-cutter, hot glue, a bit of paint, and time.

DSC_0079.jpg

First, strip out the felt part of the case lining. You'll see that these cases are actually made of Styrofoam (in case you didn't already know that), so I figured that corrugated cardboard would be even better protection. Anyhow, I cut strips of cardboard 2 inches wide as filler.

DSC_0080-1.jpg

Some hot glue later, ta-da! A lot of the gap was filled. Just imagine that all of that was actually space between the uke and the sides of the case. I also reglued the neck-strap that fell off. (Hot glue=the only thing better than duct tape for fixing stuff.)

DSC_0083.jpg

Looked sort of primitive, so I painted the cardboard. Unfortunately, I didn't have any paint except for very expensive modeling paint, (from back when I built Gundams) so I just used that. I probably used about a dollar worth, and cheaped out of using any more to make it totally black. I also reglued the felt part that I stripped out, for inside lining, so that the uke would have something nice and soft to press against.

And there we go! I had my own custom case for my superconcert. A bit primitive, but the uke fits a lot better now, and feels somewhat more protected. So if you have a superconcert and are just using a tenor case, maybe this would work for you too! And I'm sure you could fabricate your case in a much less crude fashion than I did.

Now I just have to decide if I want to change out these Worth strings for Aquilas...(Maybe I should change out the D'Addarios on the Kamaka for Aquilas too...)

Nice Job on the case, may try that myself. Right now I use a pair of socks to wedge between my superconcert and the inside of the case. Keeps it from moving around. Like your concept better !

hah nice! Way to be innovative, i would've never have come up with that!

Actually oahu case company makes a deluxe style case for superconcerts and also Kiwaya rectangle hard cases in the blue label fits superconcerts as well as the ameritage concert case. there is also a certain company i get hardshell lightweight kala Lanikai type cases especially long for superconcerts....who said they dont make umm tons out there.....

Actually oahu case company makes a deluxe style case for superconcerts and also Kiwaya rectangle hard cases in the blue label fits superconcerts as well as the ameritage concert case. there is also a certain company i get hardshell lightweight kala Lanikai type cases especially long for superconcerts....who said they dont make umm tons out there.....

I guess the guy at easy music center just didn't know...but then again, I guess the knowledge of the existence of superconcert cases isn't quite that common. I guess I should have just gotten my info from MGM. :cool:

MGM....................How about putting me in touch with somone about ordering a case for my superconcert..........Any info would be appreciated. Would certainly like to purchase one..........

Top Bottom