'Beater' Uke???

drbekken

Reaction score
Since I'm a primitive Norwegian, with limited understanding of the English language; could anyone out there define the term 'beater' uke to me? What's a good 'beater', and which are your favorites?

Ah mate, a beater is a cheapo that has good tone, the kind of thing you don't mind leaving in the car. I have a Makala (my first besides the Martin) that resides in my classroom. I did the action on it, I strung it right after lots of research, and it plays like a dream, yet forty kids a day take it off the wall and play it and it has the marks to show for it....perfect beater. It is the uke I love, and yet don't care about.

Makala dolphin, what else? ;-)

I've actually been thinking of getting a dolphin as a beater, but now that I have worth strings on my Kala, it's become my go-to beater uke. Though it is my beater uke, I've never hit anyone or anything with it.

I've got a Lanikai LU-21, I throw it in a suitcase when I fly, or throw it in my car sans case when I camp. Like others I have done some set-up work to get it sounding right.

My favorite uke to play is my KoALOHA Soprano with Concert scale neck. So my "beater" is the "laminate" KALA KA-SLNG Soprano with the Concert scale neck.

Hehe 'beater' uke, haven't heard that before, awesome - I call it the 'Beach Hack'. Used to be a Kala Kiwifruit (till I loaned it 2 an interested nephew). Then bought a 2nd hand Ohana, same brand, size etc as my 'Player' (but cheaper) to be my beach hack bout 2 weeks ago. Prob is, it sounds way 2 nice and I like it a bit too much to trash it hmm.. Might need another uke?! Haha:p

I got a Flea as my beater. I leave it in my hot and humid classroom with no worries. My students love playing (and scratching) it.

I have always had a flea for my "beater" no worries uke. Originally,a soprano tiki flea. Now a tenor pineapple flea. Both had the plastic fretboard and standard tuners.

Gee I must be all wrong...I love my rogues and don't even consider them beater ukes and I take care of them just as good as my high end ukes... to me my beater ukes, I don't even play...they sound and play aweful...I mean real aweful... LOL but give me a few minuetes strumming them and I always warm up to them and start to enjoy them, but certainly not an everyday go to uke..
at least not mine...Hee hee

Last edited:
Gee I must be all wrong...I love my rogues and don't even consider them beater ukes and I take care of them just as good as my high end ukes... to me my beater ukes, I don't even play...they sound and play aweful...I mean real aweful... LOL but give me a few minuetes strumming them and I always warm up to them and start to enjoy them, but certainly not an everyday go to uke..
at least not mine...Hee hee

I understand your meaning of beater ukes being cheap an unplayable. Trust me I still baby my flea. I just don't worry about dinging the wood or finish the same way as a high end uke. It is my own personal mental disorder that I make more of a production out of playing more expensive ukes. The flea I worry less about.

Just to go back to as aspect of the OP, a "beater" first referred to an older junky car that you drove rather than your "good" car, as in "I drove my beater over to Luke's house today". It has come to mean anything of lower quality/value used to avoid using something of higher quality/value.

I think of the beater as my "travel uke". It's the uke I toss in the trunk to bring with me on trips, and the one I bring with me to places that I don't want to bring my good uke. For me, it's my concert Fluke. That one's been on numerous car trips, and went to Hawaii and back.

My beater uke is a cigar box uke that required a half a toothpick on the bridge to keep the strings high enough off of the frets.
It doesn't even have matching strings. It doesn't need to.
It's never in a case, always within arms reach. Occasionally the cat will push it over and one of dog has done a tail wagging strum on it.

It's the world's most interesting uke. Stay tuned my friends.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Believe it or not my Gibson is my beater uke. It was so beat up when I got it that another scratch or two wouldn't matter. And it sounds so good around a campfire. But for traveling I recently purchased a Flea just because I could actually replace it if it got lost.

"Beater uke" is the ukulele you don't mind bringing everywhere (i.e. beach, tailgate, parties, etc), and don't mind letting other people play it or try it out.

My beater uke is a G-String Koa Tenor w/ Hilo strings. I bring it everywhere, but I care for it like my other ukuleles, and always clean it after every session. Despite being a beater uke, I would never leave it in a hot car or out in the direct sunlight.

Dolphin, hands down. Mike at Uke Republic is getting a bunch in soon and they are under $50.

I got a Flea as my beater. I leave it in my hot and humid classroom with no worries. My students love playing (and scratching) it.
Ouch that hurts!
Really, Fleas are great for that, though I love mine too much to ever call her a beater... Let others play, sure, leave out on the couch, yup, in the sun/car, nope but then I don't stay there too long either. Love the "take you wherever I go" philosophy though.

Top Bottom