What does the Lanikai lu 8e sound like?

Theresaamusic

Reaction score
Lately I've been interested in 8 strings but I'm on a really tight budget. (keep in mind I'm only 14 who spends their money quickly)

Ukes I've been thinking of:
Lanikai lu 8e (has pickup)
Kala ka8

Right now I don't want anything above 270.

I know kala has a better reputation than Lanikai, but I really want an already installed pick up in it. I've only been able to listen to both through videos, so your input would be great if you have either of them ( mostly on what the lanikai sound like through an amp ) Yes, neither of them are great but I just want to try out an 8 string. None of the stores near me hold any.

If you were to choose between the two, what would you pick?

Last edited:
I bought a $140 Lanikai and a $60 Lanikai. The $60 one needed a lot of set-up work but it sounds great now. The $140 one sounded good out of the box. Neither of them have electronics so I can't comment on the quality of their electronics, but at the $270 price point I expect they should be good.

I bought a Lanikai LU-8EK just this week, from Mim's Ukes. It is the laminate mahogany 8 string with the new, improved Fishman electronics package. I am thrilled with it!

Yes, there are "better" 8 strings on the market. Yes, solid wood may sound better. But this uke has proven to be everything I wanted in an 8 string. This is in no small part due to the excellent job Mim does setting up the ukes she sells. The thing plays beautifully! A uke from a seller who does not do set-ups (and do them properly) is a gamble, at best.

My uke has the new Fishman electronics. I'm particularly taken with the built-in electronic tuner, which is VERY convenient, and works great. I have not yet had the opportunity to try it amplified, as I have no amp, yet. The Fishman system provides volume, treble, middle and bass controls as well as the tuner.

I bought a polyfoam case with mine, as I intend to take it with me out and about. The price, with case and including shipping, was $295.

I think anyone interested in trying an 8 string would be happy with the Lanikai. If you were to decide later to upgrade to a solid wood 8 string, the Lanikai should resell quite well, as they are very popular.

Hope this helps....

I know a lot of people have been happy with their LU-8E ukes. (I am also reasonably sure some of them have the Lanikai O8 which is a bit better uke, I think.)

Anyway, I had an LU-8E about two years ago. First, the good stuff - it was set up perfectly out of the box even though I purchased from an eBay drop shipper and it hadn't been touched by human hands since leaving the factory (and possibly not before). It also rocked the house when plugged in. Unfortunately, acoustically it was like playing a wet dog.

Unless you really intend to use the pickup a lot you might want to spend your budget on a uke that might sound better unplugged.

Of course, in this price range it really boils down to buying from a reputable uke dealer and, if at all possible, playing before buying - there is a lot of variability in all brands at this price point.

John

Top Bottom