Side marker question from the carpentry-challenged

pootsie

Reaction score
I want to put side markers on my concert Mainland. I am proud that I managed last month to build a wooden crate without hurting myself, to give you an idea of my woodworking skill level.

I figure I can drill small holes where I want the markers and fill with glossy white paint, maybe nail polish.

I think I can put them on the fretboard instead of lower on the neck if I make them the right size.

Is this a bad idea, and do you skilled types have any advice?

Thanks, you are all awesome--and I have learned tons just lurking in your luthiery threads:bowdown:

You can go to any hobby store and purchase marker dot sized plastic rods for about $2. drill the hole, put a dab of glue in hole and insert plastic rods. Why try to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks. Is that easier than what I proposed?
I should go for something small, yes?

It's a standard detail that a lot of people use. Most of all it's easy and inexpensive.

Oh and just to confirm I was referencing the side dot markers. As it appears that you are asking about he side and fretboard markers.

Yes, I meant side-dot markers. I was thinking of really small ones in the top of the narrow fretboard material.

Like this picture:
fingerboard_inlay_side.jpg

I guess my concern with using the marker material is how to fit, cut and sand it flush without hurting the finish on the neck. Or can I get it to just the right depth?

I've got some small dot material that I bought for my Stu-Mac tenor build kit. PM me an address and I'll send you a piece. You'll need to drill some 1/16th holes in side of the fretboard. put a dab of CA in the hole, insert rod, clip and sand. One of the easiest parts of the construction process.

Last edited:
if you question your abilities, the stickers seem like a great idea, as no long term damage is done. If you fire up a power tool anywhere near your uke, things can change very quickly. If you decide to go ahead with it, be sure you can fully visualize what it is you are doing, the whole process.

Stickers, or even dots of paint, seem like a better idea. Or, have someone do it who is comfortable working on instruments.

Cheers.

I've got some small dot material that I bought for my Stu-Mac tenor build kit. PM me an address and I'll send you a piece. You'll need to drill some 1/16th holes in side of the fretboard. put a dab of CA in the hole, insert rod, clip and sand. One of the easiest parts of the construction process.

Baruukish, that is a very kind offer.

But I'm wondering how I sand a finished uke (glossy!) without damaging the finish? I'm thinking the sticker might be the way to go.

No votes for paint fill?

Thanks all for your input

Sorry, I missed the part about this uke already having finish on it so I think some of the other suggestions would probably be a better solution. Good luck.
Baruukish, that is a very kind offer.

But I'm wondering how I sand a finished uke (glossy!) without damaging the finish? I'm thinking the sticker might be the way to go.

No votes for paint fill?

Thanks all for your input

Bariukish:

Yeah, you should give them to someone less likely to cause harm with them ;) Thanks, though!

Inlaying dots on a finished uke can be tricky. Its hard to sand them flush without damaging the finish. You could end up with bumps that you can feel while playing. Not the end of the world, but maybe annoying.
Stickers, paint, or inlay.....just try it out on something else first to be sure you like the feel.

Top Bottom