Islander MC-4 vs Kanile'a K-1C (lots of pics)

Cooper Black

Reaction score
Islander MC-4 vs Kanile'a K-1C

Narrator speaks: We've secretly replaced Cooper's regular uke with an Islander MC-4 from HMS. Let's see if he can taste the difference.

Yesterday I received an Islander MC-4 from HMS. My daily player (and only other uke) is a Kanile'a K-1C. For those not aware, the Islander brand is produced by Kanile'a but is an import line distinct from the Hawaiian production. I thought the UU might be interested in a review of the MC-4 with notes on how it compares to the higher shelf model.

Expectation:
That the MC-4 uke would share the same body size and neck profile as my K-1, specifically the 1.5" nut width. Should have a NuBone nut and saddle, well fit to the string, with good intonation. I ordered through HMS, so I also expected good playability and no glaring set-up issues. So, were my expectation realized?

First impressions:
"Smells funny", said my wife as I picked it up and experienced the plastic-like feel of whatever finish was applied; hardly feels like wood. I'll say this right now... the cheap finish is the worst aspect of this uke, and about the only thing really poor-quality about this instrument. The edges of the laminate top are a bit sharp, at least compared to the softer edge of the solid koa Kanile'a.

So, how does it play?
Felt "familiar" right from the start, a lot like the Kanile'a. Same neck profile and nut as the K-1. Nut height is well cut. Fret edges are finished. Intonation is great. Bridge and saddle are close to the Kanile'a but the string spacing (at the bridge) is a bit wider on the Islander. The Islander does not have a through-saddle (non-issue), but the poor saddle still has its moulding line showing right across the top (see pic). Whatever, easily addressed with some carefull DIY.

But, how does it sound?
It will do. Islanders ship with Aquila strings and that is the primary tone I hear. The concert-shaped body does a decent job projecting the notes, but it needs a dose of energy to drive the top. Even quietly plucked notes resonante on the Kanile'a, where the Islander falls silent without enough to drive it. There is not a lot of sustain, or resonance to the notes. The Islander has a "spanky" quality that seems typical of laminates. I'll add that the Islander does not use TRU bracing (which I think gives Kanile'a ukes a distinct voice).

Conclusion:
This is a quality instrument. I needed a "stand-in" to take along where the Kanile'a cannot go. The Islander will do this job for years to co me. I really like how it shares the neck shape and playability of a high-end uke. The tone is helped out with Aquila strings, but the laminate construction and finish-of-unkown-chemistry make this a concert-sized-box with little resonance (aboutwhatiexpected).

I purchased from HMS (NFI—1st time customer) and choose the O'ahu case upgrade because I wanted that case for my K. My old hard case holds the new Islander. So, I had a use for that upgrade; their standard deal with canvas case sounds good.

I hope this helps someone(s) considering the purchase of an Islander MC-4.

Pics of the uke I received:

IslanderUkeFront_zps08817f65.jpg

IslanderUkeHeadstock_zpsf4a6e8f5.jpg

IslanderUkeTop_zpsff5b49a8.jpg

IslanderUkeHeadstockBack_zps3bbfc7f9.jpg

Last edited:
I have both a Kanilea Concert and the MC1. I think you've got it pretty much right. I have played but don't own the MSC-1, and the overall fit and finish as well as volume and tone is a big step up from the MC-1. My MC-1 has a fret buzzing issue that I need to get fixed.

Thank you seeso for helping this thread make it to the UU.

So, I'm still enjoying the Islander, and still comparing it to the Kanile'a. I think I have found the source of the "spanky" quality; the Islander has a shorter scale length than the Kanile'a, by about 1/2". I can certainly feel the difference in tension, but earlier decided that must be a string gauge difference (perhaps it is that, too).

Also, the source of the chemical smell has been reveal to be the O'ahu case, now outside off-gassing itself.

I'm finding I enjoy Clawhammer style on this uke more than I do on the K. UAS must be kicking in...

Top Bottom