Taropatch strings??

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
Here's a question for those knowledgable in the taropatch uke; the eight string, 15-inch CONCERT scale taropatch, not the modern tenor scale eight string.

What would one use for replacement strings for one of these? Tenor scale eight string sets are readily available, but what about the original concert scale?

I'd love to be able to have one someday, which got me wondering about replacement strings....

My best advice is to talk to Southcoastukes.com

The concert size taropatches are strung differently than the tenors are typically, i.e., you just need two sets of standard concert strings. In fact, if you select a pack of Worths, which come long enough for two sets, you would be all set.

Like Phil says, Dirk at Southcoast is very knowledgeable about strings.

The concert size taropatches are strung differently than the tenors are typically, i.e., you just need two sets of standard concert strings. In fact, if you select a pack of Worths, which come long enough for two sets, you would be all set.

Like Phil says, Dirk at Southcoast is very knowledgeable about strings.

I thought the early taropatches had octaved Gs and Cs, like the modern 8 strings. Whether they did, or whether they didn't, I would want mine octaved, so two sets of concert strings wouldn't do it for me....

It may be that the C and G strings were tuned in octaves originally, although the people I know who play them just play them in unison. I do know that Aquila makes a set of concert strings with a wound low G and a wound C. But that still leaves you with what to do for a high C. Dirk would be helpful, I'm sure.

Top Bottom