Martin Style 0K on ebay??????

gaspar

Reaction score
no one said it was koa, though it looks a little yellow in the pics.

My guess is it's a flash-bulb that goofs the color.

Check out the grain on the headstock pic -- looks like mahogany.

It looks like koa to me but Im not sure.
I dont see the bindings around the body but pictures are dark and small.
Is there actually a style 0K? or is it just a myth?

I am sure it is mahogany....as the did different finishes and or it has had a early refinish....mahogany is a light wood naturally unstained..

As others have said, its mahogany. Doesn't look in too bad of a shape for the late 20's date, but those cracks would probably need repairing - I'd guess it will probably go upwards of $400 in the current market for these. The bridge string slots are certainly in better shape than the one I own; its common to see serious wear from years of restringing which can gouge out the slots.

It has the 1-2-1 (5th-7th-10th) fretboard dot pattern of a style 1 and I think you can see the binding in the first pic.
You may be right about the koa, but it's not a style 0.

my 20s 1k has the same pattern as this, and was the same dark color to boot. It looks like Mahogany in photos but it clearly isn't, especially after a little polishing up. This one could go either way.

My 20s Style 0M has single dots

I'm not an expert at Martins in general, but those are my observations..

Last edited:
Yes everyone is right about 0K's but this is a 1K. I bid it up this morning to about $100 below my limit just for fun but someone has a fairly high bid in there already.

Yup, looks like a 1k.

Worth $1,500-ish in premium shape, which this one is NOT. The old koa ukes are much more brittle than mahogany, you need a good luthier to repair them properly.

Scott

Top Bottom