What happens if...

UKESTAR

Reaction score
Quick question....

What happens if you use concert strings on a tenor uke? Will it even work at all??:eek:

Your asking what happens if you put concert strings on a tenor?

youll have a tenor with concert strings on it. strings are strings, nothing more.

Your asking what happens if you put concert strings on a tenor?

youll have a tenor with concert strings on it. strings are strings, nothing more.

Hmm...Ok. So, I have concert strings and tenor strings made by the same company. They are the same length. There is no difference?:confused:

I guess what I was asking is....will they sound different....if so...how??

maybe the diameter is smaller, but I think its all neglible. I use to swap strings like mad from all kinds of ukes. that was like until 2 years ago, now im still rocking the tenor with 2 koolau golds, 1 worth Clear hards, and one nylgut. haha

Hmm...Ok. So, I have concert strings and tenor strings made by the same company. They are the same length. There is no difference?:confused:

I guess what I was asking is....will they sound different....if so...how??

It's not as simple as "strings are strings"

This is because of the tension of the strings. The tension makes a difference in how the strings play and feel. Strings with a lighter gauge are a bit brighter but then the feel might be a little better for someone who doesn't want the strings to be too tight.

Putting a set of strings that were specifically meant for a different size might also damage the bridge. For example, it wouldn't be a great idea to put the pro arte strings meant for a tenor on a soprano ukulele. The tension isn't compatible and the bridge might suffer from strain that it can't handle.

But it's also okay to experiment sometimes. That's how the idea of using D'Addario and Savarez strings came about :)

I didnt want to get too much into detail, since his situation aint so critical.

Yea like some guy I knew who put on bari strings on his tenor, tuning it to standard, and ripping off the bridge. Lots of people ask how me my bari uke sounds so high, I always tell em swap em with tenor strings.

I didnt want to get too much into detail, since his situation aint so critical.

Ripping off the bridge of an expensive uke would have sucked.:eek: Now I know what I can do. Apparently, I can use strings designed for a uke smaller than what I am stringing.........just not bigger.

For example, it would be OK to string a tenor with concert strings.....while stringing a soprano with tenor strings could possible damage the uke because of tension issues.

Ripping off the bridge of an expensive uke would have sucked.:eek: Now I know what I can do. Apparently, I can use strings designed for a uke smaller than what I am stringing.........just not bigger.

For example, it would be OK to string a tenor with concert strings.....while stringing a soprano with tenor strings could possible damage the uke because of tension issues.

Well If you put strings on your ukulele that were meant for a bigger size, the tension would be super high. The smaller the instrument, the smaller the strings will match the sound also.

Imagine putting ukulele strings on a classical guitar. Not so good eh?

My best advice would be to not stray too far from the tension that was meant for the size of your ukulele.

Well If you put strings on your ukulele that were meant for a bigger size, the tension would be super high. The smaller the instrument, the smaller the strings will match the sound also.

Imagine putting ukulele strings on a classical guitar. Not so good eh?

My best advice would be to not stray too far from the tension that was meant for the size of your ukulele.

The reason for the question in the beginning was.....I wanted to try to put concet strings on my Koaloha tenor..... What do you think?

The reason for the question in the beginning was.....I wanted to try to put concet strings on my Koaloha tenor..... What do you think?

Personally. I think it would work but I wouldn't be too happy with the end product if it was me.

Skinnier strings have that brightness that I don't really favor. So in this case, the concert strings are smaller than the tenor ones. The strings will also be a little loose. But that could be a good or bad thing. The response will drop but you'll have an easier time bending them and whatnot.

Your KoAloha is already pretty bright I assume. I dunno if it'd be a good idea to make it even brighter than it already is.

Yea like some guy I knew who put on bari strings on his tenor, tuning it to standard, and ripping off the bridge. Lots of people ask how me my bari uke sounds so high, I always tell em swap em with tenor strings.

Funny cause my dad put baritone strings on his Martin and tuned to standard for years... lucky no bridge replacement necessary.

I am not sure about all manufacturers, but I know Worth strings have the exact same gauges for concert and soprano sets. I use D'addario (sp?) classical guitar sets on my tenor, but I like higher tension and they are easy to get just about anywhere.

a guy on another forum was telling me about some custom filament used for fishing line (which is essentially what ukulele strings are) that is supposed to sound pretty good.

So to the original poster, you probably won't notice much except the lack of a wound C string.

Personally. I think it would work but I wouldn't be too happy with the end product if it was me.

Skinnier strings have that brightness that I don't really favor. So in this case, the concert strings are smaller than the tenor ones. The strings will also be a little loose. But that could be a good or bad thing. The response will drop but you'll have an easier time bending them and whatnot.

Your KoAloha is already pretty bright I assume. I dunno if it'd be a good idea to make it even brighter than it already is.

I have D'Addarios on the tenor right now. I have had luck with these strings on other ukes, but they just don't sound right on my Koaloha tenor. I also tried Aquilas and didn't like them either on it. Not sure what to try next. Any suggestions for me Aldrine?

I have D'Addarios on the tenor right now. I have had luck with these strings on other ukes, but they just don't sound right on my Koaloha tenor. I also tried Aquilas and didn't like them either on it. Not sure what to try next. Any suggestions for me Aldrine?

From personal experience... Worth clears. Best strings for KoAloha that I came across so far.

i really want to try out the D'Addarios on my Kamaka. How do you think they will sound? better then the regular tenor Kamaka strings?

i really want to try out the D'Addarios on my Kamaka. How do you think they will sound? better then the regular tenor Kamaka strings?

Yep...just listen to Aldrine's Kamaka! He uses D'Addarios. Go for it...:eek:

Top Bottom