The right uke and the right strings for a particular sound.. make all the difference.

Doc_J

Reaction score
Many times it takes me a while to figure out the right uke for a specific song. I was playing the Streets of Philadelphia the other day, and I thought it sounded good on my Gstring concert with Martins, until I played it on a Kepasa Middlesex cedar top with SouthCoast lights.

For me, just right.... :D
https://www.box.com/s/lb3n76lelj23geos77rg

Got an favorite uke and strings for a particular song?

Merlel Haaggard has a nice country tone "Pretty when it's new" that I particularly enjoy playing with my mahogany tenor Pono with Worth brown low g strings. This is a very mellow sounding uke, quite different from my others, that just matches the melancholy theme of the song, love found, love lost.

I have favorite ukes for favorite songs, but it's usually based on the key of the song, and the tuning of the uke.

My husband and I currently have ukes tuned in four different tunings (C, D, G, and Bb; all reentrant). :D

I have favorite ukes for favorite songs, but it's usually based on the key of the song, and the tuning of the uke.

My husband and I currently have ukes tuned in four different tunings (C, D, G, and Bb; all reentrant). :D

Pretty much my approach too. I have ukes in three different tunings; C, D & Bb. I have two sopranos in C which sound quite different, one much brighter than the other. In that case it depends on the character of the song which I choose.

I've got a wonderful little Waverly Street soprano ukulele (#38 - bought used from another UU member - check it out on the Waverly Street Web site!) which is tuned Low G, and has Worth Clear on it.

it is tiny, light as a feather, delicate, and the perfect ukulele to play "Simple Gifts/Lord Of The Dance" on. While I can play that song just fine on all of my other instruments, it just sounds best on the Waverly Street.

Thanks again, Mitch!

-Kurt​

Top Bottom