Book/DVD Recommendations

Daedle

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've managed to give my dad the uke bug. I've been learning from tinternets and given him all the resources he needs. He's a tad old fashioned though and wants to learn from books or dvds. Any recommendations undergrounders?

a lot of the books out there are actually difficult unless you or your dad knows how to read music notation, or have someone to break it down.

It's not TOTALLY hard to understand, but way easier if someone who reads can show you. =)

There's a lot of books geared to the complete beginner! Heeday, Jumpin Jims, Mel Bay books... definitely buy the ukulele treasury of chords on roy sakuma's site.

as far as dvd's/vhs... I've bought jake's play loud dvd, peter moon's vhs, judy kamisato and roy sakuma's dvd's...
i'd say peter moon's is more for the intermediate/advanced player w/ Jake right behind a little easier... Jake's dvd is GREAT tho. The format of his lesson is constructed really well. Plus, there's great concert footage of him and his band. Everything else should be good starter footage.

On another note, I've never tried any of the other footage out there that are geared towards kids (Uncles Charlies, Ralph Shaw, etc... ). Don't know if you're dad would think that's too hokey?

Anyhow, I hope this helps. Best of luck!

I have the dvds Joey Jr. mentioned as well as a few others. I like Roy Sakuma's dvd and our own UU vids for the basics. I recommend Ukulele Chord Progressions (ebook) from Woodshed for the music theory - understanding the basics of music theory has helped me a lot.

There are other resources and I'll try to compile a listing of sorts. In the meanwhile here are a couple of sites you can go to for instructional books . . .
http://howtoplayukulele.com/
http://www.curtsheller.com/books_ukulele.shtml

DVD's by Ralph Shaw

Complete Ukulele Course for Ukulele DVD by Ralph Shaw
337180758.jpg

ESSENTIAL STRUMS Ukulele DVD by Ralph Shaw
178164446.jpg

Last edited:
Exploring the 'Ukulele by Daniel Ho, Herb Ohta Jr.
Exploringsm.jpg

Discovering the Ukulele by Daniel Ho, Herb Ohta Jr.
ukebooksm.jpg

Roy Sakuma's Treasury of Ukulele Chords Book
thumb_5.jpeg

Ukulele Chord Finder by Hal Leonard
1423400429.jpg

I too like to learn from books (must be old) and it is hard to find Wifi in the park, in the mountains and so on....

Ukulele Method Book 1 and 2 by Lil Rev' from Hal Lenoard's collection, very easy to follow and use. They are the books I used during my first lessons, I have about a dozen "starter" books and found these the easiest to follow.

Lots of good info in the others listed too.

No such thing as to much info when trying to learn, you can always come back to what you don't understand!!!

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of uke books so pretty much have every one i've found so far with a few exceptions...looks like 25 or so. I can give you a few recommendations based on what i like but it depends on what kind of stuff your dad wants to play.

There are a ton of jumpin Jim books and they seem pretty fun for sing along type stuff. I have a few of them and i think the movie one is probably my favorite. They're pretty good for learning the basic chords and stuff since they are generally pretty simple and give familiar material to strum along to.

If your dad likes older tunes then I'd recommend Cat's Meow which is like a songbook full of tunes from the twenties. I'm not familiar with a ton of the songs but it comes with a CD to help with that. It uses some more advanced chords but has fingering diagrams over the songs so it's probably good once he wants to learn some more unusual chord shapes.

Beatles for Ukulele is another songbook with chords for a bunch of Beatles songs. Again most of these aren't beginner songs as they use some weird chords too.

I just recently got Exploring the Ukulele which some other folks have mentioned. It's probably one of my favorite books so far that focuses more on fundamentals than song arrangements.

I'm not a huge fan of pure theory uke books as a lot of it tends to go over my head. I prefer learning the theory as i learn how to play songs. But for pure theory i was able to follow the Chord Progression ebook at How To Play Ukulele more than most. Of course ebooks might defeat the appeal of actual books.

For totally new players Jumpin Jim books will probably be the most accessible to just strum along with.

I didn't get into fingerpicking until i'd been playing for a few months but if you want to hear about books with fingerpicking tab then let me know and i can give another blurb on my favs. Or if you have questions about a specific book just ask as i probably have it.

Chris

Here's a different approach that may or may not work (it's basically how I learned basic guitar mumble-mumble years ago):

1) Download and print out a chart of ukulele chords (like this one). If he doesn't know already, show your dad how to read the chord diagrams, which should take all of three minutes.

2) Get some books of his favorite types of songs. They don't have to be ukulele books. Any book that has the chords written along the top and the lyrics printed in them will do fine. Go to Amazon and search for "fake book".

3) That should keep him busy for a good long time, strummin' away to songs he knows and likes, and is therefore motivated to play. If he has a hard time with strums, then the Ralph Shaw DVD already mentioned is a good bet. But he'll probably be able to just "wing it" if he's got an okay ear for rhythm.

JJ

Thanks guys. I'm going for the Exploring the Ukulele (after reading the synopsis I might keep this one for myself...) Discovering the Ukulele and a chord book. I've also found a few HUGE ebooks of songs and chords which I'm gonna print out for him - will cost me a fair few bob in ink though..!

Thanks very much guys

ebooks?

Thanks guys. I'm going for the Exploring the Ukulele (after reading the synopsis I might keep this one for myself...) Discovering the Ukulele and a chord book. I've also found a few HUGE ebooks of songs and chords which I'm gonna print out for him - will cost me a fair few bob in ink though..!

Thanks very much guys

where did you find the ebooks? can you post some links?

Top Bottom